Author Topic: 3 week old grunts and cries in sleep for hours!  (Read 876 times)

Offline jmwahlberg

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
3 week old grunts and cries in sleep for hours!
« on: October 21, 2014, 18:54:01 pm »
Hi,

I have a three week old who cries and grunts loudly in her sleep from about 4AM-7AM. It almost sounds like she is in pain, and she has been doing this since we took her home from the hospital. She sleeps peacefully until about 2AM when she wakes to eat. Then takes a while getting back to sleep but does so independently. Then we end up checking on her all early morning because she is so loud even with the doors closed. She is grunting and even crying, but passed out asleep! I have tried waking her to feed her in case she is hungry, but she will not rouse enough to eat until about 6:30. She quiets down some if held, but considering most humans are sleeping at that early hour we are hoping there is a cause we can correct rather than symptoms to treat. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: 3 week old grunts and cries in sleep for hours!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 20:02:11 pm »
Hi there! I have NO idea what is going on but have flagged you up for some eyes who might know. I am sorry you got missed! :( Someone will be along shortly.

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 20:05:52 pm »
Both my refluxers did this until about 14/16 weeks. They would squirm, fuss, fidget, pass wind, calm for a little while and then start all over again from about 2/3am until morning. They were generally asleep - I wasn't, especially when DD went through the phase of slamming both her legs down on the mattress.

I don't know if it was reflux related or just newborn digestive system learning how to organise itself, but it did pass at the 4 month mark for both of them. Does your  LO have any other symptoms?

Hopefully it will pass for you too!

Laura

Offline MarsMomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:15:44 am »
This sounds exactly like my little guy.

He didn't have reflux, just gas. It takes time for their digestive systems to mature. He got over it by about 4 months. I know it's hard, but you really just have to wait it out.