Author Topic: HELP! I'm Exhausted, 7 Week Old Won't Do Sleep Part of Routine  (Read 1071 times)

Offline zmom86

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP! I'm Exhausted, 7 Week Old Won't Do Sleep Part of Routine
« on: October 22, 2014, 19:50:01 pm »
I've been trying to implement EASY with my 7 week old so that he can sleep a little more, but it's just not happening. I am a FTM and I literally have no clue what I'm doing wrong. This is a sample day for us:

8am- Eat 4-5 oz. in 10-15 minutes (he gulps down the bottle)
8:15am- Activity (sometimes I put him on his tummy, sometimes I just talk to him and make faces on his changing table, and I also walk around with him and point stuff out)
9am- Sleep (I swaddle via Happiest Baby method, sing soft lullaby while swaying until his eyes start to close, put down into crib with white noise machine on)
9:30am - He is awake, kicking his legs, arching his back, and crying (doesn't matter if I put him in "rock n play", bassinet, mamaroo or crib). I change his diaper, massage his stomach to get gas/poop out.
11am- Eat 4-5 oz
11:15am - Activity
Noon - Sleep
1pm - Awake
1:15pm- Eat 3 oz (refuses to eat more)
2pm - Eat another 3 oz
2:15pm - If I put him down for more than 5 minutes, he is awake, and starts crying
3pm - "Sleep" in rock n play with pacifier (his mouth moves while his eyes are closed, if pacifier falls, he starts crying)
3:30pm - Eat 3 oz and then still awake
5:45pm - Eat 4 oz
6pm - Sleep
8pm- Bath time, eat 4-5 oz
9pm - Sleep
Midnight- Eat 4-5 oz
2:15am - Eat 4-5 oz
5am - Eat 3-4 oz
6:30am - Awake and eat 3-4 oz
8am - Repeat as above

He eats somewhere between 38 and 44 oz of breastmilk a day. He sleeps around 10 hours a day if I'm lucky. He has never slept longer than 1 - three hour stretch, usually his "good sleep" stretches to 2.5 hours. I have tried swaddling, not swaddling (which doesn't work because his legs and arms go crazy), side sleeping, sleeping upright in rock n play, white noise, shhh/pat, etc. I try to start swaddling and doing the nap routine the minute he first yawns but it's not working. I can see he is tired but he won't sleep.

He does sleep if I strap him into his bjorn and walk with him. But if I stop walking, he quickly wakes up. I am so exhausted that I don't have the strength to do the walks anymore. He has hiccups a lot, and usually wakes up with the arching of the back, gas noises and crying. I have spent more than 1 night massaging him until he pooped and then he would relax temporarily.

He is gaining weight well and was born right on his due date. Weighed 7 lbs 5 oz at birth, gained back his weight in 3 days, and is now almost 12 lbs. He is very quick to calm when he's upset, but doesn't stay calm for long. I feel like as he becomes more aware (he was very alert in the hospital and not sleeping well from 1st day), it's getting harder and harder to get him to sleep. I need time to pump and make food, and I'm averaging about 4 hours of fragmented sleep a day. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: HELP! I'm Exhausted, 7 Week Old Won't Do Sleep Part of Routine
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 00:57:14 am »
Hi sweetie, sorry your post has gotten missed for a few days!  I'm wondering about possie discomfort with what you're describing.  I'm going to ask someone who knows a bit more than I do to look at your post and give you some suggestions.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: HELP! I'm Exhausted, 7 Week Old Won't Do Sleep Part of Routine
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 01:03:49 am »
Your not doing anything wrong! Unfortunately some bubs just struggle more than others :-*
I agree that maybe something is going on. Have you considered silent reflux? Have a read of the below and let us know what you think or questions you may have.
Reflux checklist for parents and Drs
Reflux 101 - General reflux information
Does your Lo have a paci? Id try to encourage one if your struggling with the crying, they really helped my boys to calm, particularly my touchy sensitive older one.

How does your LO wind? Do you think there is trapped wind/gas issues going on?

HUGS

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.