Author Topic: Night wakings/hungry?  (Read 796 times)

Offline Wardy1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:29 pm »
Hi everyone

I'm really desperate for help please, my 11 month old has started waking at night for a feed, he usually wakes but is easily rocked back to sleep. Recently however he wakes but won't settle until he is fed a 6oz bottle. Then he goes back down awake and puts himself back to sleep easily.  He has also started refusing any of his bottles in the day and I struggle to get a couple of ounces down him at bedtime!

Here's his routine:

7:00am wakes
7:30am 6oz bottle but has 2oz
8:00am weetabix
9:30 - 10:30am nap
10:30am yogurt as refuse bottle
11:30am lunch (bread and butter, fruit)
12:30 - 14:00 nap
15:00 4oz bottle but has 1oz then snack
17:00 dinner (purée, yogurt, crisp)
18:45 7oz bottle before bed but only has 2oz

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

xxx

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Night wakings/hungry?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 19:07:35 pm »
Hi there! Well, the only way to stop is to stop and have a plan such as PUPD to persist with until he goes back down. Has he ever gone  back by himself? Does he go for naps and BT by himself? If you can stick with this for several nights than I would look for his day intake to go back up. That is a fair bit of day sleep, how long has he been on those naps? Wondering if he needs one of them trimmed back a bit.

Maryn

[/url]

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:51:58 am »
I think I'd look at his food intake in the day and try to balance out the food groups a bit. If he is not so interested in the bottles it could be that he is too full from solids or that he feels his dairy intake is complete with the solids he is getting (yoghurt, milk on wheetabix and the few oz of milk he accepts) but finds himself hungry in the night.
Couple of things I'd try:
- drop the middle of the day time bottles altogether so he is more inclined to take milk prior to BT which will see him through the night better than his dinner and only a little BT milk (so focus on morning WU and BT bottles only)
- switch the yoghurt snacks for other food groups, veg, fruit, protein (whilst yoghurt is a great dairy solid it doesn’t provide the same level of nutrients as formula which might be adding to his night hunger)
- bring dinner solids much earlier, whilst it may not fit in with a 'normal' evening meal time many people find an earlier last meal works well, LO eats more and is also more inclined to take a better milk feed at BT (I'd bring dinner to more like 4pm). Most LOs tend to take in calories earlier in the day more so than in the afternoon/evening so I'd look at getting veg and protein into breakfast/snacks/lunch and focus less so on the evening meal. A smaller evening meal could also help to increase the BT bottle.
- look at how much carbsy food LO is taking and possibly switch some of these to other food groups. LOs do need several carbs portions per day (more than we might imagine) but perhaps he is full from the carbs groups, wheetabix, bread and butter. Perhaps you can offer an egg for instance at lunch time, or some meat or beans and cut back a little on the bread?
- Not sure what sort of purees you are giving at the evening meal, maybe switch to finger foods? Less may go in but again that would give more chance of LO being hungry for the BT milk. The aim of course being to get that night time milk need fulfilled in the day instead of at night.
- offer water at night instead of milk
- as pp said pick a plan and stick to it. PUPD is fine if it suits you. I tend to go for more of a gradual wean method so I'd cut the night milk by half immediately then offer only water (do this say 2 nights) then reduce night milk by another oz (another 2 nights) then reduce another oz (2 more nights) then offer water only.

hope something here might help

Offline nevinsmama

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 18:44:16 pm »
Great food advice from Creations! Pick a plan, stick with it and things will swing around! :)

Maryn

[/url]