Author Topic: I think we hit the 4 month WW and sleep regression  (Read 2078 times)

Offline athenasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
I think we hit the 4 month WW and sleep regression
« on: October 24, 2014, 14:12:03 pm »
Hi DD will be 4 months old Sunday. We have been doing BW since birth and after we beat the 45 min nap monster which hit around 7 weeks, we have been doing pretty well up until now. The last 2 weeks her routine has been wonky and less consistent than I would prefer. She is in daycare full time which makes the situation even harder. She is currently sick with sinus and double ear infection, so I understand that this is not the right time to do things, but my feeling is that it is not the only issue. WE need to get our routine better, so I need some help from expert eyes  :)
She short naps in daycare so her days there are different form home
Daycare routine
WU 7:00 - 7:15
E 7:15 - 7:30 (she is a quick eater and has always been) This is BF
A 7:30 - 9:00
S 9:00 - 9:45

E 10:30 - 10:45 bottle of EBM
A 10:45 - 11:30
S 11:30 - 1:00

E 1:30 - 1:45 bottle of EBM
A 1:45 - 3:00
S 3:00 - 3:45

E 4:30 - 4:45 bottle of EBM
A 4:45 - 5:30
CN 5:30 - 6:00

E 6:30 - 6:45 BF on one side
bath at 7:00
E 7:15 BF on the other side
S 7:30

At home routine (weekends)
WU 7:00 - 7:15
E 7:15 - 7:30
A 7:30 - 9:00
S 9:00 - 11:00

E 11:00 - 11:15
A 11:15 - 1:00
S 1:00 - 2:30

E 2:30 - 2:45
A 2:45 - 4:30
S 4:30 - 5:30

E 5:30 - 5:45
A 5:45 - 6:30
E 6:30 BF on one side
bath 7:00
E BF on other side
S 7:30

She gets DF of 4 oz EBM around 11 - 11:30 and does not need to eat until WU. However, lately she has been having trouble going to sleep and staying asleep. It has been creeping up onto us but got really bad with her illness. I understand that she is in discomfort and it is not the right time to do anything but can anyone look at the routines and see if they seem OK for her age or if we should try to tweak it a little. I want to be ready to address issues as soon as she is healed up.
Thanks!
*Suzanna*

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: I think we hit the 4 month WW and sleep regression
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:08:55 am »
Hi there, how is your LO? Is she well, it is very difficult to consider changing up a pattern when she's been ill and difficult to see what the problem is as a lot of the problems you may have are likely to be worsened or caused by illness.

Do nursery always put down for sleep at those times no matter what, or are they happy to shift her sleep around at all?

If she is happily sleeping two hours at each nap then it may just be she needs a small tweak of A times to help her settle more easily. But if you can't change the sleep times at nursery these days may need a bit of tweaking. Does she find it hard to settle for all naps and nights times on nursery and home days or is it specifically night time. Or specifically naps on nursery days. If you are still struggling with sleep could you post an EASY including when you tried to put her down and what time she actuLly went to sleep.

:)
~ Naomi ~

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 18:36:40 pm »
We have problems with waking hourly in the early am starting about 2:30 am. I am considering all possible reasons hence I asked to look over our routine. She always slept very restlesly and lightly in the early am but she usually did not wake. Other causes I consider now is discomfort from gas and pacifier addiction. However, I do not want to rush into ditching the paci because I am not fully convinced that she actually wakes for it but rather that she wakes for other reasons and needs the paci to go back to sleep. With the pacifier she has no problem to settle for naps or at BT, but we never tried without the pacifier.
*Suzanna*

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 22:14:48 pm »
Any signs of teething?
~ Naomi ~

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:09:34 am »
Hugs Suzanne.  How are things?  We were up hourly when ds had ear infections.  It took a good week to pass.  Things are getting back to normal at night now (although had some great maps with all that interrupted sleep at night!  It helped to sleep him upright a bit since the pressure on his ears was treated lying flat.  We did several nights in the rock and play.  And of course I questioned my routine!!  But in the end it was all due to illness And things are normalizing now.

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 13:18:44 pm »
Yes, thank you. I think it must have been the illness and genuine hunger. It turns out I have supply issues in the pm. I will have to work on that and in the meanwhile I will have to supplement. I was expecting this sine I returned to work 5 weeks ago and pump all day long. But it seems that I will have to use a bottle in the pm too instead of BF.  :(
*Suzanna*

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 23:59:37 pm »
Oh honey. I've only just realised I'd posted on your other thread too. I've asked if a couple of others can take a look to check out your concerns regarding supply. I'm sorry this is leaving you feeling sad.

((Hugs))
~ Naomi ~

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:51:04 am »
Hi there...I posted on your other thread too. What is it that is leading you to think you have low supply? Just the low yield? Tbh I have never really pumped so I am not sure how much that will affect things. How much do you bf vs pump in a day? The thing is if you keep adding bottles (esp during a gs) your body will not increase supply to meet her demands and it will be a slippery slope. Pumping and bottle feeding is an option but again I have no idea how long one can sustain that.

Have a read of this FAQ about supply: I'm worried I may have low milk supply

Heidi

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:43:28 pm »
Thanks. I think I have low supply because when I BF DD before BT she wakes hourly and by 10 PM she is ravenous. If I make sure she gets 5 oz before BT she sleeps without a peep, does not even wake for the DF and lasts from DF until 7 a.m. I already have been pumping all day long for 5 weeks now because I had to return to work. I sadly see my supply slowly decreasing.  :'( I knew it would happen but it happened faster than I thought. I am supplementing now with formula and will keep pumping as long as I can, because I believe that some breast milk is better than none. Also, I plan on weekends to pump an hour after BF and hope that it will help increase supply.
*Suzanna*

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 13:16:50 pm »
(((Hugs))) You know I wonder if she is reverse cycling?
Heidi

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 13:46:07 pm »
What does that mean?
*Suzanna*

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 15:35:01 pm »
OK I looked it up ... you know you might be right. She has become ery alert to her surrounding and when I nurse her she does not see things around her and often lets go just to look around. I always wonder how much she gets when I BF because it seems she does not eat much she gets too distracted. Her nighttime patterns are usually getting worse by Sunday that could be caused by not eating enough because we BF all weekend to make up for the loss BF time during the week. MAybe I should try feeding her in the bedroom with curtains drawn???
*Suzanna*

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 22:11:49 pm »
I would for sure do that. I used to feed on wake up from naps & night in the dark bedroom (and left the white noise on for good measure!).
Heidi