Author Topic: How much milk for 16mo and anyone give LOs vitamins when eating badly?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Bababoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Hi folks - advice on two related areas would be much appreciated...

16mo DD has generally been a great eater - some short phases of being picky but nothing that we didn't work around.

Last few weeks though she is totally refusing meat, regardless of how I cook it - and has been taking alot less veg than previously.
This week then she started getting picky about fruit - which she usually devours!

She has an 8oz bottle of milk when she gets up and 8oz again between dinner and bed. She drinks water with lunch and dinner.

Not actively teething - has LOADS of energy to run around all day.

Loves cheese and has a natural yogurt most days - would eat 10 of them if she could!

So - I was wondering if I should start reducing the amount in her bottles - or is she still a bit young?

And secondly as she is definitely not getting enough iron and vitamins at the moment should I consider a baby vitamin and if so does anyone have recommendations?

Many thanks!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How much milk for 16mo and anyone give LOs vitamins when eating badly?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 17:35:22 pm »
We do 12 oz of milk now at 14 months...cannot remember the recs here but that is what she wants. We do milk on wake up and before bed but my next step is to serve her breakfast first and milk with it or afterwards on days we are home. Daycare days it is easier to give her a bit of milk to tide her over until she has breakfast there.

We definitely have phases with taste preference but I try to look at her overall diet and see that even though it varies she is getting a good variety in.
Heidi

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 18:47:24 pm »
My LO1 has never really drunk much cows' milk.  He was BF til 17 mos and never took to the other stuff (unlike LO2!). He does eat lots of cheese, broccoli, bits of yoghurt etc. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a developmental phase of becoming picky, or suspicious, about food - it occurs naturally around the 18 mo mark (I think?).  It might help if you share the food with her, or she sees you eating it first.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Bababoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 18:54:15 pm »
Yea, I do think at least some of her new attitude to food is an independence thing - her tastes may be changing slightly aswell but she can't tell me how else she'd like her meals served so it's a lot of trial and error!

I do try and eat at the same time as her - at least at breakfast and lunch - problem is if she doesn't want something she has, and I eat a bit to show her that it's yummy, she just tries to feed me the rest of it!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:16:33 am »
Here it's recommended for LOs to have vitamins from 6 months until 5yo. Vits A, C and D in particular. There are multi vit drops which some people use.

This list may help WRT iron
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php

I wonder if she is cutting down on other foods because she is getting lots of cheese and yogurt?
and yes it could be a developmental blip. Mine was a great eater but still had his phase of food suspicion where I had to taste test every item to assure him there was no poison ;)