Author Topic: 6 mo still waking multiple times at night - not hungry!  (Read 921 times)

Offline marysada

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 mo still waking multiple times at night - not hungry!
« on: October 27, 2014, 14:42:04 pm »
I'm at a loss. My 6 mo has been waking up several times a night for a while now. After 4 months old, I quit feeding at night and started moving to a 4 month schedule. I thought once she wasn't getting food, she wouldn't wake up. We used pu/pd to help get her back to sleep. It worked after the first week and then we went on vacation and it messed her up again and she hasn't gone back. We even get to where we figure out the time she wakes up by habit and go "wake" her an hour before to mess her sleep cycle up but then she just makes a new time habit. It is usually a mantra cry but escalates if we don't get to her in a reasonable time.

She's still swaddled (which I would like to wean soon). She just started solids and is doing well. She naps well and goes to bed well. She still has a pacy but she spits it out after she falls asleep. We use it when she wakes up at night to help get her back down. I dont want to do cio but feel that is my best option at this point. Ugh. I'm sure there is some accidental parenting going on somewhere. Any suggestions?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 6 mo still waking multiple times at night - not hungry!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 19:21:39 pm »
Hi, and welcome to the forums :)

We don't support CIO here so nobody is going to suggest you do that.  At six months if your LO is waking and crying at night then it could be a routine issue (overtiredness), a prop issue (paci could well be a culprit if she needs it to fall asleep), discomfort or hunger.  I'm guessing if she settles with just the paci then she probably isn't hungry, though four months is pretty early to stop night feeds altogether.  Have you ever tried any since to see if she'll settle for a longer period?

Could you post your routine in EAS format?

Does she have any medical issues eg reflux?

I'm interested to know how you did PUPD as that's not something that can usually be combined with having a paci unless LO can replug it themselves....have you considered getting rid of the paci and using PUPD?

Offline marysada

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 00:47:43 am »
I really don't support CIO either. I sometimes feel like I don't let her settle and soothe with her hands which tells me that I am using her paci as a prop. Tonight she took a bit longer to fall asleep. She fussed for a little bit and finally got her thumb and settled. I watched her on the video monitor making sure she didn't start to move to a full out cry.

Her current EASY routine is:
5:30 wake and nurse
6:15 solids
7/7:30 sleep (we try for 7:30 but she rarely makes it so it puts our EAS off 30 minutes)
9:00 wake
9:30 bottle pumped BM (7.5oz)
11:00 sleep
1:00 wake
1:30 bottle pumped BM (7.5oz)
2:30 sleep (would like to keep her up longer, but she gets tired)
4:00 wake and solids
5:30 bedtime routine and nurse
6:00 sleeping baby

I was off and on with the dreamfeed. It really messes up her sleep cycle, but I did it to make sure she got enough food. Once we started solids, I dropped it. Her weight gain is just fine, so I don't think her night waking is from hunger. She doesn't eat a lot when she wakes up either.

I would like to wean from the swaddle and paci (unless she will grab it and put it back in her mouth).

For PU/PD, she usually has the paci in her mouth. With her being swaddled, it is hard for her to soothe with her hands so I kept the paci in her mouth. I need to just wean the swaddle and paci and use PU/PD. Anyone have any success stories to give me some encouragement?? She sleeps soooo much better swaddled.

Offline marysada

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 00:53:10 am »
I should add... with her swaddled now, she has one arm out.

No medical issues such as reflux, but I keep thinking she is going to start teething. I have been thinking this for over 3 months now, haha. I guess I have a drooly baby who likes to gnaw on everything.