Author Topic: 4.30 eu since clock change  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Katejk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4.30 eu since clock change
« on: October 27, 2014, 14:55:47 pm »
my 2 yr old now wakes at 4.30am since clock change. It's literally taken us a year to get her to sleep till 5.30 since the last clock change.

Any help in getting her back on track please.

Wu 4.30!
Nap 2pm - 3pm
Bed?? Maybe 7pm

No idea what time to put her to bed tonight.

Thanks

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 4.30 eu since clock change
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 18:34:27 pm »
Hi there clock change is a nightmare...I'd prob have tried no later than 6pm and hope for catch up night but realise its past that now! 
Then bring nap earlier next day to even things out more x
Zoe

Offline Katejk

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 18:45:15 pm »
I'll put her down now.  How do I go about it tomorrow? x

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 19:13:10 pm »
With a WU that early my approach would be to treat it like you were changing time zones about 3 hours, stick rigidly to the new times and wait for her to crash through OT.  Not pretty but may help quicker than gradual changes.  How old is she exactly?  Just 2 or closer to 3?  What was the routine pre-time change? 

Offline Katejk

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:45:49 am »
She's just 2. I did the same routine before nap 2 bed 7. She was still waking at 5.30 so not great but at least not 4.30! :)

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:55:20 am »
Ok, I see.  I guess you have a couple of options - either just stick with those times and give her a few days to adjust, or maybe try an early catch-up nap (uncapped) with normal BT and see if that helps? 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:23:31 am »
at 4.30am since clock change. It's literally taken us a year to get her to sleep till 5.30 since the last clock change.
This was us!  It filled me with dread to go through another 6-12 months of trying to get him to sleep later.

The thing that worked here was to move the routine on more than the hour of the clock change. Basically this
treat it like you were changing time zones about 3 hours, stick rigidly to the new times and wait for her to crash through OT.  Not pretty but may help quicker than gradual changes.
Small changes didn't help, we reached the hour later BT and it just meant he lost an hours sleep every night as his body clock continued to wake him at his 'usual' time.  What I planned was to shift BT by 2 hrs to achieve the 1 hr clock change, as it turned out I only had to move him 1.5hrs for the crash to come and his body clock re-set. The idea was to shift the times rapidly so he lost less sleep in total as the crash came quicker.
IIWM I'd shift the routine (everything, nap, meals etc) by 30 mins day 1, another 30 mins day 2 and another 30 min day 3 and basically keep going until you get a later WU. When the later WU is achieved the night is prob still short (ie not the 10.5hrs you usually get) so you might then need to move BT a bit earlier again (and naps) to settle back into a routine. I'd be tempted to aim for a later routine anyway, more like nap 3-4 and BT 8 which (based on her night length) would give a possible 6.30am WU, although you lose an hour of Y time in the evening.

You might also think about introducing a gro clock or lights on a timer to help with morning WU although it's not a quick fix and won't solve a 4.30am WU if the routine is off.