Author Topic: Introducing bath to 4.5mo  (Read 1729 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Introducing bath to 4.5mo
« on: October 29, 2014, 22:59:27 pm »
Ok I think I've left this too late! Didn't want to make bath part of BT routine until DD could easily stay up for long enough without getting tired, we're soon to ditch the 4th nap and then I think we can easily manage it. So far, we've just topped and tailed and washed hair from time to time, and have given occasional baths earlier in the day to see how she copes. She's been fine with it on these trials, but this week I've had DH around so have done it a bit more in preparation for dropping the 4th nap soon and changing BT around a bit to incorporate a bath and a top up feed just before PD. But now she's decided that she hates the bath and just screams :( so... What would you do? Just give up on the idea of a bath being part of BT and keep doing it as and when I get around to it earlier in the day (realistically probably just once a week) so that the screaming doesn't happen just before bed, and then hope that she changes her mind about it and then incorporate it into BT? How badly do they really need regular baths anyway? DS has had one every night since he was just a few weeks old (where possible), but I felt we started too soon as he was always OT by BT. Any suggestions?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Introducing bath to 4.5mo
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 23:13:59 pm »
My DS hated baths, screamed his head off from NB until about 5 to 5.5 months old when he finally enjoyed a bath.  Like you I mainly topped and tailed or gave an all over sponge bath and about once per week or so I trialled a quick bath which was very quick and upsetting.  I personally see no point introducing it to the BT routine unless it is happy and playful or relaxing.
When I increased baths per week because he enjoyed them and gradually went to every night before BT initially he liked to lay down in shallow water or 'swim' (with me holding) in deep water but didn't like to sit. During that phase I could wash his hair but soon after he preferred to sit in the bath and washing hair was out of the question for a long time. I used a terry cloth (flannel) and rubbed it over his head, went on for months and months.  I only ever put him through a proper hair wash if he was full of sand which wasn't very often.
I really don't think it's too late for you, you've just got her at a time when developmentally she isn't keen on the bath.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 23:19:46 pm »
Ok thank you that makes me feel better! Maybe I will hold off on the baths for a bit then, as you did...

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 23:24:32 pm »
I'm sure she'll be clean enough :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:19:20 am »
I didn't bath DD2 until she was 6 months or so, besides a top & tail. I would have done the same with DD3 but she loved getting in with her sisters. Tbh I do not shampoo or soap the kids up very often as they really are not that dirty.
Heidi

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:27:19 pm »
Would it be worth trialling a shower with you holding her? Just as another option?

DS hated baths as a toddler - well, we figured out eventually that he hated the transition of getting changed but loved the water. We just tried to do sponge baths etc and like others managed for months without a proper bath!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline trimbler

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 13:38:07 pm »
Thanks for your encouragements, I'll stop worrying about it and just carry on as we are for the time being :)