Author Topic: Help! Is this the 4 Month Sleep Regression?  (Read 3870 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Help! Is this the 4 Month Sleep Regression?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 22:28:31 pm »
Well I can tell you my thoughts, with the caveat that you're getting far better naps than we are at the moment so you're probably more sorted than we are!

Ok so first A time is 1h 45 and you get a 1h nap (today, at least), then he did 2.5h A time and napped for 2.25h! That's a lovely nap, did he wake up happy and refreshed? I would have thought that your 1h first nap was a little UT, have you tried pushing his first A? Just that if he can do such a longer A time later in the day and nap well then he could probably stretch that first one a bit? Third A time was less, just 2h after that long nap, but makes sense if you're aiming for a UT CN. The missing piece for me is then the last S time, ie BT? Can't find that recorded anywhere! NWs before midnight tend to be OT which might be accumulated during the day or a too long last A time, do you have a feel for this based on how he's acting? I would expect he'd need a shorter A time after the 30min CN compared with earlier A times after long naps.

As for how to tackle them when they happen, looks like you're doing well already? How long is he awake for before resettling? If it is OT then tweaking the routine should help, just let us know when BT is and we can put heads together.

With long naps, most people would advise capping them at 2h unless they're only having one nap, however some don't notice any ill effects from longer ones. I would be inclined not to let him have a long 1st nap though, as early/long first naps can be a cause of EWs... does he have a tendency towards those? Then again that's a bit late to say now! What was his first A time today?

Offline Mariesusu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 16:50:22 pm »
Thanks for your reply. BT is usuallyt at 7-7:15, but we do put him down earlier if he woke up early for the day or if he gets fussy.

I have notices that with a longer A time in the morning we get a good nap. It's hard to keep him awake as he gets very tired and fussy. But if we reach the 2h A time we definately get a better nap. He wakes up super happy and refreshed!
'
I hadn't thought that his wakings could be OT but it makes sense. He ususally has one good nap and one not so good so maybve he is missing some daytime sleep? However whenever I tried compesatng for daytime sleep, this made no difference in his wakings...

What I tried doing yesterday was wake to sleep. I went in at 9:30, re-swaddled him and put the paci in. He was already stating to stir when I walked in.

Do you think his EASY needs tweaking?

So this was yesterday
WU 6:45
E 7:00
e 8:30 (top up)
S 8:45
A 11:30
E 12:00
S 1:35
A 2:15
E 3:00
S 4:00
A 4:30
E 5:30
e 7:00 (top up)
BT 7:15
WTS 9:30
DF 11:00
WU 2:30 started to re-settled but woke up crying at 3:00 so fed

Today he had a long A time before BT, but as I look through my log, I notice that even on the days where he's had only 2H A time he still wakes at 9:40!

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 20:31:05 pm »
To be honest I'd be uncomfortable with such a long first nap as it may well have affected his 2nd nap, however I'm slightly in awe of that long one at the same time! I know there came a time with DS when a long 1st nap would always adversely affect his afternoon nap which would leave him OT at BT and then affect the nights. He was a little older then and not having the CN but I wonder whether you might sort it by capping the first nap, perhaps to 2h to start with and monitor what effect that has. Also don't be afraid of EBT if the CN does end up earlier, do you wake him from it or does he naturally wake after 30mins? That did look like a long A time to bed to me, but I know some LOs need that, you will know best!

A for w2s, I've no experience so maybe someone else will jump in here, but I'd thought it was more often used later on in the night and roughly an hour before the habitual waking?