Author Topic: What to do with 6am waking on 7-7 easy?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline arabesque

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
What to do with 6am waking on 7-7 easy?
« on: October 29, 2014, 19:19:11 pm »
Hi everyone, dd is 7.5 weeks and for the last 2 nights has fed at 10(DF), 2 and 6. Ideally wed like first feed of the day at 7am- how do I extend her to this? I've been giving a quick feed at 6, then back into bed, but she's not a fan of that. Thanks!!
DS1 July 2007; DS2 April 2010; DD September 2014

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: What to do with 6am waking on 7-7 easy?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 21:40:28 pm »
Hi arabesque, that's really annoying isn't it! My DD did that too, actually she'd often poo which woke her, then I'd just feed her back to sleep and start the day just a little later than planned. I know feeding to sleep isn't very BW but I'm guessing you have to work around your other two so it might be the easiest option for now! When you say you've tried giving a quick feed, do you feed her to sleep or just break her off once she's had a little and try resettling her by other means? If she does feed back to sleep you could try just holding her until 7am if that's practical for you, then get her up and maybe offer another feed a little later, although I guess at this age she won't have much A time to play with... I think I've done something like that anyway. If she's hungry I wouldn't try stretching her just yet, that will come with time. If she doesn't go back to sleep with a feed and just wants to start the day, then maybe it's a routine issue, you could post it so we can have a look?

Offline arabesque

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 20:01:54 pm »
Thanks!

Yesterday I fed her a bit until she broke off, and she went back to sleep until 7 in her cot.
Today she was awake 6:15, and I fed her a fair bit as she didn't want to stop, then dh has tried to resettle her but no avail.

Day looks like:
6-6:15 awake, little feed, try for back to bed
7am feed
8:00 in the car for school drop off (always falls asleep in car earlier than would at home)
8:30 nap
10am feed
11:20/30 nap
Usually hard to keep her napping past 1 sleep cycle
1pm feed
2:30 nap in car for school pickup
4pm feed
Catnap in sling
Bath 6:15
Feed 6:30, can be hard to settle for bed
Sleep 7:15/8 whenever I can settle her
DF 10 (I tried 10:30 last night to see if that could push back her morning wake time a bit)
Night feed at 2/2:15

Thanks so much :) all feedback welcome!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 20:20:48 pm »
Ooh it's hard fitting naps around school runs isn't it! So does she do 1.5h straight in the car seat for both 1st and 3rd naps? I guess you can't change the timing of those at all as they have to coincide with school runs? Or could you leave a little earlier and drive a little extra before collection if she really needs to sleep a bit earlier? How long is the catnap usually?

The only thing that jumps out at me is that her A times seem to be on the long side for her age, but maybe that's just how she is? If OT is creeping in throughout the day then that could make it harder for her to settle at BT and wake early... But tbh I wouldn't really expect a 7.5 week old to do much better than this, looks like you've got her into a pretty nice routine especially considering all your limitations! I know it's just a shame about that early start... If it is just a question of hunger, you may just have to wait it out until she can stretch until morning. I remember with DS I'd actually wake him to feed at, say, 4-5am so that I'd know he wouldn't be hungry until 7am! Can't remember when I stopped doing that though, and certainly this time around I just wanted to sleep when DD was sleeping, since there was no chance of napping during the day! But I mention it as something else you could try temporarily, if you like?

Offline arabesque

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 20:26:55 pm »
Thanks! That's a good suggestion, I may give that a try. If I can bring myself to set the alarm!

Yes school run is a huge pain. I do think her A times are long but she will often stay awake longer before going to sleep, and I don't think most days that she seems overtired. Nap in the car I can generally get 1.5 hrs for as I can transfer her car seat to the pram to continue. (If I stop rocking/moving she'll wake). Yesterday she did a good second nap at home- into cot at 11:25, a bit of mantra crying, some talking to herself, my guess would be asleep round 11:45, and I woke her at 1 when she was stirring. The catnap is usually 45mins-1hr. I try to keep her asleep til 6:15 as other wise she's upset and crying for a feed (despite last feed starting at 4 and often not finishing til 5! Then if I too her up then she doesn't feed for the night. Cluster hasn't worked well for her.)

Many thanks for your reply!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 20:47:28 pm »
I wonder what might happen with a shorter catnap? You say you try to keep her asleep until 6.15, what if you just got her up when she stirs and did bath, feed and bed then? Do you think that would be too early? If the catnap was shorter she might not need a long A time to bed and it might be easier to settle her? Alternatively keep her up a tiny bit longer before the CN so that she gets to 6.15 on a shorter nap, if that sounds better to you? I'm not used to such long A times at this age though, so kind of making it up - as I guess we all do anyway! Someone else may have a better idea though... If you really want to set that alarm then by all means try that first, rather than changing too many things at once.

Offline josie30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 19:47:12 pm »
tricky one, we have a similar situation. our DD wakes at 6 (as we all do so happy with that) but is never hungry at this time so we don't feed her till 7. she then slots into the 3hr EASY after that though so I'm just leaving it as it is

Offline arabesque

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 19:59:19 pm »
Thanks for ideas :) I'll give shorter catnap a try today- we were out at a family event yesterday so nothing went quite according to plan.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 20:03:07 pm »
All the best :) We had a family wedding at 6weeks, actually quite a few all day social things around that time, DD just spent most of the time in the sling but as you say things never go quite according to plan. Think it's easier at that stage though compared with later, then eventually gets easier again, did you find that with your older two?

Offline arabesque

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 20:06:53 pm »
Absolutely :) my sister wants everyone to go to the zoo next Saturday and I'm saying to dh id rather go now instead of in a few months (also sydney+summer=heatstroke!)

Thanks for your help :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 20:21:49 pm »
Ooh have fun :)