Author Topic: Pumping at work sucks!!!!  (Read 1606 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Pumping at work sucks!!!!
« on: October 30, 2014, 18:10:00 pm »
Ugh...The only private place is our bathroom. It's clean but I feel so rushed. And even after pumping for 15 min I still feel like I have milk in there but nothing is coming out!!! I can't wait to get home. Anyone have any good pumping at work tips????

[/url]

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Pumping at work sucks!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 18:28:41 pm »
Not sure about your company size, but I think that if it's larger than 50 employees then US law states they have to provide you with a private room that's not a bathroom. You should check into that if it bothers you a lot, a private room is much more comfortable.

When starting out, looking at pictures of my baby helped me get into the pumping mode. Also make sure your pump is in good working order to ensure maximum output. I know you just started working, so hopefully it'll get easier as you get more used to pumping at work. For me some days I can pump a lot and some days not so much. I also get more during my first pumping session of the day than subsequent ones.

But in all, I totally agree with your sentiment. I don't like pumping so much, but it makes me feel connected to my baby while I'm away from him all day at work.

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 18:35:58 pm »
I'm not sure where you work, but are there any offices or quiet rooms you can go in?  Or a corner of a lunch room?  If there is nothing you're comfortable with, I would do it in the car.  At least it's private.  Maybe bring a book or something to do that you find relaxing while you pump.  :).

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 19:51:29 pm »
I totally agree. It's hard. Looking at pictures of baby helped me too . I agree that pumping in the car will be easier than in the bathroom. I'm guessing more comfortable, more relaxing, more private. All of which will help with let down. Not sure if actually getting to the car will cut into your time. Seems to me you're a teacher. Are you trying to do it at the recess and lunch break? Surely someone could lend you their office for a short time each day.... If you would feel comfortable.

Lots of hugs.

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 20:06:31 pm »
I agree depending on the size of the company you should have a private space that's not the bathroom.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 01:32:38 am »
I work for a hospital cardiology group so we have more than 50. I'll talk to my boss and see what I can't work out. I may take it to the car bc that would be nice and private and quiet. Do the pumps generally work as efficiently on battery power??

[/url]

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 03:18:38 am »
Yup, federal law requires that they give you a place other than a bathroom. There is probably also a state law. http://breastfeedinglaw.com/federal-law/

Definitely stand up for your rights!
That said, it totally sucks. I'm just back myself and I hate it. The pic of baby helps, but I would guess not being comfortable and relaxed is probably a bigger problem for you. I also get the most in the morning and less in the afternoon. Like pp said, some days I get enough and other days not. I keep powdered formula to supplement as needed. I usually need 2 oz of formula.
What kind of pump are you using? You can get a free medela pump now under the ACA, and I find those to be the best and most efficient pumps.

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:52 pm »
Do the pumps generally work as efficiently on battery power??

If  you do it in a car, try getting an adapter to plug in. Most pumps should have one (my Ameda has one). The batteries work pretty much the same (for mine), but it needs a ton of batteries and they drain really fast.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 18:42:40 pm »
I got an Amenda pump with the aca. I'll get an adapter for the car for sure. I think I would be most comfortable there even if they did give me a private room. I know my boss would have no problem at all getting me a spot...she's really big on family and doing what's best for your kids thankfully. I got 4.5 oz from 2 pumping sessions which is about normal for me so that made me feel a little better...it was all worth it in the end.

[/url]

Offline Pve421

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 00:33:49 am »
I found that using a manual pump when I was at work worked a lot better than the electric pump. I was able to get more milk out. It sucked having to do one boob at a time but all in all I had a better experience with the hand held pump....

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 00:49:17 am »
I definitely vote for the car wht the adapter. Are you taking any supplements? I also pump on the way to and the way home from work with the car adapter. Only gets me a few extra oz but that helps overall
*Kate*

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 02:19:25 am »
Holy moly Kate you are super woman!! I need to get a hands free bra or one of those bungee things I've seen. I was hoping to have gotten the adapter or atleast batteries by now but I haven't had time and sort of forgot. I mi h t have dh grab batteries tonight just for.tomorrow and get the adapter over the weekend
.I'm sure they have it at toys r us but so you think target has it?? They have a few Amenda supplies at I saw...or is it just a general car adapter??

[/url]

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 02:39:48 am »
I say Amazon prime! But yes I think it's a general car adapter. I can look at the voltage on mine tomorrow if you want.

I thought pumping in the car sounded crazy until I tried it but it works so well! I set up before I pull out and then just pump until a stop light or what not. It's made things a lot easier this time around.

I have a hands free bra but never use it. I have a couple of old sports bras that I cut vertical slits over the nipples years ago that work great! And so much cheaper.
*Kate*

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:32:13 am »
Kate, I am dying laughing picturing faces of other drivers that pull up next to you and see you pumping while driving. Lol that is awesome. I never considered doing that!

I have a hands free bra from Babies R Us, and I'd be lost without it! I definitely suggest getting one or trying Kate's idea.

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:49:03 am »
Lol!! I often think about what if I got pulled over while I'm pumping. Especially since I'm also usually chowing down on food I never got a chance to eat at work! But I pull my top down a bit and I don't think anyone really notices. I know other people that use a nursing cover while they pump and drive but I drive in the city and probably should but never do! I am of the camp that if you don't want to see, don't look!
*Kate*