Author Topic: Transition from 2 to 1 nap  (Read 884 times)

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:27 am »
My dd is currently taking 2 naps but I can tell she is starting to transition from 2 to 1.  She generally takes a total of 2 hours in total of napping in the day.  She has been waking at 10:00pm (2 to 2.5 hours after bt) for the past 4 nights and I am not sure if it is because she needs a routine change??  She does have a cold right now so that may be it but it doesn't seem that bad for her to her be waking so consistently.  Her routine is as follows:

Wake between 7:00 to 7:30
Nap 1 - around 11:00 - noon. I typically go by an activity time of 4 hours (lately I feel she could stay up longer if I pushed it but haven't been because I don't want her to take Nap 2 too late in the day and not be tired enough for bt)
Nap 2 - between 4:00 to 4:30 and sleeps for 40 to 60 mins.  Again I go by an activity time of 4 hours and finding that lately she doesn't always go to sleep right away.
Bedtime around 8:00

Does the routine seem ok?  Note, I read the posting on the 2-1 transition and the suggestions of shortening am or pm nap but not sure if I should start to do this yet or not.  I am putting her down for her first nap earlier than needed because she would otherwise take a 1.5 hour nap.  She is easy going to generally doesn't fight naps unless it is way too early.  Thanks so much!!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Transition from 2 to 1 nap
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:37:12 am »
How old is she?

If it were me I'd push her morning A time out to get a 1.5h nap, then have a catnap in the afternoon and keep the day to 13h.  Something like 4h15-30 A, 1.5h nap, 3.5h A, 30-40 mins, 2.5h A

What do you think?

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:51:29 pm »
Thanks for your advice!  She will be 11 months old on November 11.  I agree with your suggestion.  She has also been waking around 5:00 in the morning on and off for a few weeks now which also makes me think I need to push her morning nap until later.  I think I'll have a hard time getting her to sleep after 3.5 hr A time before second nap but we shall see.  Today she got up at 5:30am so need a few days to transition out of the EW.  Thanks again :-)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Transition from 2 to 1 nap
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 18:49:44 pm »
You may find that after a longer morning A time she will happily take the afternoon nap early.  If not then I would do a full A time after the first nap, catnap of 30 mins then BT about 2h later.  You can APOP the CN if you are able to in the pram or the car which may make it easier to get her down early?  The other option is to try some one nap days - if you can get her to 4h30-45 for her first A, and she'll do at least a 2h nap you could do another 4.5-5h A and then BT?