Author Topic: Does it get easier??!!!!!!  (Read 1158 times)

Offline LizWaby76

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 01, 2014, 20:37:26 pm »
Hi All

Very much looking for help, inspiration, advice or just a great big bloody gin and tonic!!  :-\

We have a 5 week old DS who is just not sleeping longer than 30/45 mins during the day and its just exhausting me.  I used the EASY routine with our other two children but with our new little fella its just a constant struggle.

He is on 3 hour EASY but it often is EASAY and by the time bedtime comes he is just in total meltdown and I just cant put him down because he just screams.  He is constantly overtired and even though I watch for his sleepy cues and swaddle him on his first yawn, he settles after about 10/15 mins (sometimes on his own, sometimes with pat shush). 

This morning i was just in tears - I spent 50 mins pat/shushing after a 30 minute nap but everytime i went to put him down he just woke and was screaming again.  He also seems to spend a lot of time fighting against his swaddling, he's quite a big fella and is strong and will work an arm out of it and clonk himself in the face.  It just seems a never ending list of things to deal with and feel so bad for our other two who must think  mummy has forgotten all about them. 

Will this pass or am I doomed????

thanks  :'(

Liz xx

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Re: Does it get easier??!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 21:00:49 pm »
((((Hugs)))) have you tried a sling or other APOP to keep him from getting so OT? I'm in the same boat and am still just trying to make it through each day.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 21:02:41 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW
Here's your G&T :)  and you're definitely not doomed.

He is still very very young, I wouldn't drive myself crazy with the naps just yet.  Some babies need a bit more closeness, so if you have a sling or baby carrier, would you consider letting him nap in there, to catch up on/avoid OT?  And get yourself a bit of a break.  If you want, you could start naps in the cot and if and when he wakes, pop him in the sling and see if he sleep a bit more.

The other thing to say is just gently to ask if you think he might have any discomfort issues?  Perhaps reflux?  Discomfort can cause frequent waking, and pain while lying flat.  Have a look here:
Reflux 101 - General reflux information
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 21:14:14 pm »
Thank you - good to know Im not alone!

Yes, he does have refulx and is on infant gaviscon in each feed to help him because he was vomiting after he fed every time.  That has stopped that but of course I dont know if its stopped any other discomfort.  I assumed he was okay as he goes off and sleeps okay at night (he will go 4 hours ish between feeds).

I hadnt thought about a sling as was worried about me becoming a prop and having something else to deal with.  He is def a cuddler, the minute I pick him up and do a little bit of pat shush he will fall to sleep on me no problem but he as soon as moves away from me, we go from cute and gorgeous to an extra from the Exorcist in 0.5 seconds!   Its so hard trying to cook fish fingers, chips, peas, do the washing, hoover and walk the dog with one hand!

xx

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 21:23:12 pm »
At 5 weeks I wouldn't worry too much about props. :)  My first priority, in fact, would be preserving your sanity. ;)

You can keep trying the cot, and use the sling to avoid OT and so on.  There is a pretty reputable theory about the 4th trimester, which suggests that some babies are still in need of a lot of physical contact even after they're born, for the first three months more or less.  I found this was true with my two, both much much happier with lots of mama snuggles.  I did a lot of cooking/carrying a two year old/shopping/everything else with LO2 in a sling, at least that meant I had two hands free!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 06:08:21 am »
Thank you. I will give that a try. Are there any slings you would recommend? And should I wait till three months before tackling naps properly?

It seems a lifetime ago I went through this with the other two (now 9 and 5)... Can't believe how much uve forgotten!!

L xxx