Author Topic: Should I reduce last feed to ensure morning feed is taken in 4m old?  (Read 5172 times)

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Morning all,

DS2 is 17.5wks and is now fully ff from 14wks. He takes 5 x 10oz bottles at roughly 3-3.5hr intervals e.g. Yesterday was 7/1015/1/445/730. He then sleeps through the night (has done since 10weeks). And yes he is a big boy; he weighed 8kg at 14weeks which the HV told me was too much and I was over feeding him but thanks to advice on here I have ignored and given him what he clearly wants!
However the last couple of days he has not woken ravenous for the morning feed like he normally does. In fact this morning it was nearer 8am before he would take it and then it wasn't finished. Should I look at reducing the very last bottle at night do you think?
Thanks...

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Should I reduce last feed to ensure morning feed is taken in 4m old?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 14:34:34 pm »
Sorry I missed this!

If he's not hungry for the first bottle then yes, I would start reducing that last nightfeed - I *think* he's getting plenty of formula in 24 hours :P ;D You can reduce by dropping an oz every 3 nights so he adjusts to the lesser amount, you should be able to drop it completely this way.

Laura

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 19:03:56 pm »
Hi Laura, it looks like that was only temporary - he's gagging for the morning feed at 645 now :)
He is now 19 weeks and the gaps are shortening between the feeds, today in fact was 650/1045/2/430/630 - is it healthy to be draining 10oz bottles with such short gaps? Would switching to hungry baby milk perhaps lengthen the gaps? Or maybe we should look at weaning? He did weigh 8.8kg last week...

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 05:15:26 am »
Too soon for solids IMO.  Any chance he has reflux?  That is a massive amount of formula in a day!  Healthy boy!

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:17:12 am »
Hi Kara,
No signs of reflux, he's quite capable of keeping it all down :)
Gaps are still getting shorter, he's going 2-3 hours between bottles now...

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:55:32 am »
How old is he now? 5 months? What's your feeling about solids? I think I would consider starting one meal a day and seeing if that helps, I wouldn't be rushing into 3 full meals but he is taking a lot of formula. I started DD at 17 weeks (under Drs instructions), for reflux but she coped well, she was grabbing food off our plates at 5 months too and getting it to her mouth!

You could try hungry baby milk but all that does is give him milk that is harder to digest and he's going to have to adapt to solids soon anyway so is it worth it IYSWIM?

Laura