Author Topic: NWs & NFs  (Read 1198 times)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
NWs & NFs
« on: November 05, 2014, 16:53:34 pm »
Two not -so- quick questions :)
1. LO is just getting over a cold. We had some bad days where she had a tough time sleeping with the congestion but on the others she slept through. For the past two days, the congestion seems to have cleared up but her sleep has gotten weird! She's a 7 -7 gal with no NFs except DF. Night before it was 7 BT - WU crying 8.30/ 1.30/4/5/6/ 6.40. Nothing would resettle her except a feed. Yesterday - sleep 6.45 - WU 3 & 6. She had lost her appetite with the cold & I feel she has lost some weight. So it makes sense that she is upping her calorie intake, right? As long as she is hungry and eating, I should feed? She is also waking up crying at 8.30/40. Sometimes she resettles herself. Sometimes she needs major help. Is this OT or something else?

2. She has also started wildly shaking her head from side to side and thumping down her legs. It seems like she is wide awake but she is still sleeping. This continues for some time and then stops. Could anyone share their experience with something like this? Is she practicing a skill? Could it wake her up?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: NWs & NFs
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:47:19 am »
WRT question 1 I could say more about her being OT if I can see a routine. You can post one and I can have a look if something comes to mind.
WRT the NF, TBH I would feed IIWM. She is just now getting better and getting her strength back, she is still quite young and if it was my baby I would give it a bit more time. I know it's really difficult to wake up so many times at night, but I wouldn't try and tackle it till I knew she is 100% back to herself, yk?

She has also started wildly shaking her head from side to side and thumping down her legs. It seems like she is wide awake but she is still sleeping. This continues for some time and then stops. Could anyone share their experience with something like this? Is she practicing a skill? Could it wake her up?
My DS did the same, he was actually baldy in the back of his head from turning his head from side to side on the mattress, lol.
Tracey even mentions it in her book - it's a way for them to self sooth. so don't worry about it. She is trying to get herself back to sleep or fall asleep which is good.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:04 am »
Thank you. I also feel that as long as she is eating, I should feed her. Last night was better but weird. She woke up crying at 8.30/ 2.30/ 3.30/ 6  but resettled herself each time. I'm glad she was able to settle. Still unsure as to the cause behind it as she doesn't seem stuffy anymore. Let's see how tonight goes. We don't have a consistent routine since her naps are short & it throws everything off. Yesterday was
6.40 - WU & feed
9- 9.50 nap 1  wouldn't resettle
10.30 gave up & fed
12.30 - 1.20 - nap 2 (again couldn't resettle)
2.30 - feed
4.30 - 5 - nap 3
7- sleep (put down at 6.40 but had to resettle)
10.30 - DF
We are on 2.5 A time but I think that it needs to be tweaked. Shorter in the morning, longer in the afternoon.

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »
Yes, I agree, I think that the A times are a bit too short, just a bit.
Why do you think she needs even a shorter A time in the morning? The length of the nap indicates that it's UT. I mean, of course this is not science, some babies do an OT 50min nap, but for most babies anything between 45min and 1:20h would be UT.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 14:54:50 pm »
So do you suggest pushing it more? Sometimes she gets extremely fussy after she has been up for 2.5 and nothing seems to make it better -- holding, singing, carrying around , quiet time, nursing, nothing! And she goes down very easily but wakes up soon.

Today I took her out and we were late coming home. She got fussy after 2 hrs 30 mins but I didn't let her catnap on the way home and put her down at 2hrs 55 mins. I went in at 30 mins to resettle if needed. She woke up but resettled herself at 30 mins and then slept through for 1 hour 20 mins. So should I hold at this A time? I thought it was a bit excessive for a 5 month old. And this pushed the catnap to 6 - 6.20. Eek

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 13:20:38 pm »
I wouldn't jump from 2.5h to 2.55h A time, it's a too big jump. But I would try and increase this A time by say 10 min and see if that helps. If you jump too much she will probably get OT.
You should stick to this new A time for 4 days and see if there is a change her nap.
I know it's difficult now with the CN being so late but it will soon solve itself as she is getting ready to drop her 3rd nap.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 14:37:04 pm »
Thank you, once again, you wise wise person :) You read our throughts! We DID make the HORRIBLE mistake of jumping the A times today and paid for it with an EXTREMELY OT baby. 3 hours A before first nap and got a 1.30 hr nap. PD for second nap after 2.45 but she wouldn't sleep. Fell asleep in the sling after 4 1/2 hrs A time! She was manic by then~ glassy eyed, babbling and laughing like crazy :S Yeesh! She asked to be PD for the nap after only 2.15 A but I kept stretching it. Will not make this mistake again!!! {{hugs}} Thanks a lot