Author Topic: Help with these wakings!  (Read 959 times)

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: November 05, 2014, 20:57:10 pm »
Hi all-baby #3 has got me confused!!!  I've been lucky to always have my baby's sleep through the night with dream feed around 3 months.  Ds2 was no different.  Until recently!!  And I'm stumped.  Not sure if it's routine related, or what.  Please give me any thoughts!!!

Started with an ear infection a few weeks ago, we did an ear check and the infection is now gone. 
Basic routine: waking at different times everyday...
1 nap 2 hrs, 1 nap 1.15-1.5 hr plus catnap.

8:00 wake/bf
9 started some solids
10-11:30/12 nap
12 bf
2-3:30/4 nap
3:30/4 bf
5:30/6 catnap
7:30 bf
8 to bed

Df 11
Waking between 2-3 although not every night, but most!
Again waking 5:30-6:30.  Usually settle with bf which is why he's been sleeping until 8.  Ideal would be 7 or 7:30, but if I feed at 6 and he falls back asleep (always does). I hate to wake him and reinforce an early waking.

But honestly, I can't see why he should be drinking at night anymore!  My other 2 did not.  He is over 20 pounds and will be 5 months next week.

When dh can settle him, he does not need a feed.  Unfortunately, dh has a tricky schedule the next 6 weeks and is not able to settle at night.  So I go in, and I think he smells me and wants milk!  Drinks one side half heartily.

I feel like at his age we're taking calories away from the day!

He easily does 4 hours.  Has been giving good naps and self settling.  Even transitioning himself without needing paci replug or anything.

I work 2 days a week and pump during his second feed.  I can get 5-6 ounces, so I think he's getting plenty of milk. Started solids thinking he might be hungry?!

So....habit?  Too much day sleep?  Too long before bed?  Help!!  I'm so tired with 3 at home and no sleep!

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Help with these wakings!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:42:01 am »
Hi Emily, sorry don't have long but my first thought was solids - how long has he been on them, what's he having and do you think the NWs could have started around the time he started on solids? I know he's only having them at breakfast but I just remember my DS started having NWs when he started solids, we'd started on rice cereal and I think it was making him uncomfortable and a little constipated, so we stopped that for a while and switched to pear. I'm sure there are many other possibilities but have to go now sorry!

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:49:58 pm »
Thanks Trimbler,  we actually started solids after the wakings, thinking he was hungry and needed more during the day.  Just doing a bit of squash this past week, so I don't think thy are related.  I was able to have dh settle him at 2 last night, then I settle him at 5 without a feed and he slept until 6:45.  I know he is capable of it!  Habit now after the war infections?  I don't think we have too much day sleep...?  Although last night was decent and we had short am nap out at toddler activities, longer pm nap, and 30 min catnap (we woke him) He does usually need a resettle after bedtime at some point, which may be ot?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:52:43 pm by emily3434 »

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 13:16:24 pm »
Hun could it be UT wakings?  Some of the A times might need a bit of a push now even though he's napping well.  We are doing a bit of a different routine to you but DS will happily go down way too early for naps - DD was never like that so it's very confusing!!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 14:40:55 pm »
Or could if be too long an A to BT after the 30min CN? Have you tried 45min CN and/or shorter A to BT? I agree post BT wakings sound like OT and I know you wrote in the BC that you didn't think they were crib parties... Although I'll admit I too readily assume OT rather than UT!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 14:46:04 pm »
Ps that's not necessarily a contradiction with Katherine, you could try both extending earlier A times a little and shortening the last A time, which would give you a similar length day, possibly extending the CN to 45mins too??

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 16:25:23 pm »
Long post just disappeared!

But aren't they confusing!!  I had dh settle at 2 and he went back to sleep until 5, and I was able to just replug paci and he slept until 6:45.  So he can clearly do it :). Too bad dh is not always available!!  Yesterday was a shirt morning nap out and about for toddler activity, long afternoon, then catnap.  I woke him at 30 min Catnap to protect bedtime.  But missed that window!  He is easy to resettle though for the most part.  We have been at 2 hrs A for a few weeks now, and are getting good naps with some funny ones thrown in.

Do you wake at the same time everyday?  I let this baby sleep!!  Funny since I always woke the other 2 if they slept late.  We need more flexibility since he is 3rd and there are other activities happening.  He does really well with short, long, short when we are out in the morning. But of course when we are home I let him sleep

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 16:32:11 pm »
Ut and OT is so confusing to me!  I know some ut naps he will wake up and look around and have trouble settling back, it seems to be waking angry, but easy to settle.

No idea about it at night though?! Is it the same or different? When he dies wake, it can be easy to resettle sometimes with just the paci, other times he just screams at me and I feed him because I know he will go right back to sleep with that.  Milk coma at night

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 09:08:42 am »
Yes we are doing the milk coma trick far more often than necessary here too ::) ::).

I've found UT NWs can be annoyed/irritated/grumbly rather than happy cot parties.  I think because the body clock says its sleep time but they can't switch off.  Just thinking how I feel when I can't sleep....The milk seems to add extra sleepy hormones and they manage to get back off again.

We frequently have the situation above of UT from short A times but OT by BT.  So get early NWs from OT then unsettled second half of night or singing at 5am ::). We are slowly working on moving naps forward to try to lose the CN fairly soon x