Author Topic: Almost 9mo - NW, EWs, A times all over the place....  (Read 5743 times)

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Almost 9mo - NW, EWs, A times all over the place....
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 02:23:09 am »
Hanging over the side of the cot at 2.25 am. It's been 2hrs so far. I'm giving up on this.  There is simply no rhyme or reason and I can't analyse it a minute longer.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
Honey, so sorry :(

Absolutely give yourself time off thinking about it, everyone needs a break sometimes.

But when you're up to it, did you go back to the doc re:reflux?  And what sort of day did he have before this NW?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 11:21:51 am »
Thank you.  Yes we had his reflux meds increased.
Bit of a messed up day - he woke at 6.40 am but fell asleep in the car at 8.40 for about 20 mins.  Next nap was about 12.45 for 1hr10.  I tried to get him to bed as early as poss but best I could manage was 18.30. NW was 12.30 am - about 2.45am.

Offline weaver

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:12 am »
Bit of a messed up day - he woke at 6.40 am but fell asleep in the car at 8.40 for about 20 mins.  Next nap was about 12.45 for 1hr10.  I tried to get him to bed as early as poss but best I could manage was 18.30. NW was 12.30 am - about 2.45am.
I think that's your explanation then!

If that happens again, I'd be tempted to (a) push him a little so he naps a bit later or (b) APOP a teeny CN and keep with normal BT. 

Sorry for your rought night!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 14:11:01 pm »
I know - but these wakings seem to happen whether the day is a mess or not :(

Offline weaver

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 14:13:42 pm »
Couple of posts up you had three nights in a row with no NW.  Unless I"m reading it wrong.  Seemed like just after you intervened with meds, he started to sleep much better, no?

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 16:06:07 pm »
Yes we seem to get a few good days and then we have NWs.  I'm not sure the meds have made much difference.  Sorry, I'm just moaning now aren't I when you're trying to be helpful! !

Offline weaver

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 21:27:03 pm »
Well, you're there so you probably have a better idea what's going on but from here, it does look like the meds might have helped. 

I think perhaps what happened here: (Your post - I had to open another browser to figure this out, I'm so non tech savvy!)
SUNDAY -(PUt him back on 2 x doses of Ranitidine)
WU 6.05
S 9.50-11.55
S 16.00 - 16.20
BT 20.00

MONDAY
WU 6am - fell back to sleep in our bed til 7am
S 10.55 - 12.10
S 16.05.16.20
BT 20.00

TUES
WU 6.30
S 10.15-12.15
S 16.05 - 16.25
BT 19.55

WEDS
WU 6.10
S 10.00 - 11.10 - woke v happy
S15.00- 15.25
BT 19.10 seemed OT
NW 00.50 - 2.40am - he wasn't crying at all when I was in the room with him, just fidgeting about. He would seem settled, so I'd leave the room for about 10mins and then he'd strike up crying again. Eventually hubby went in which DID make him cry but he settled eventually. He didn't seem in pain - just fidgety really.
(End quote)
is that the meds kicked in, he slept better.  His WU time was creeping forward (even a 7am one day!).  What I think makes the difference for him is the PM nap.  It looks like he is very sensitive to PM OT - and perhaps that wakes him in the night?  Not that he needs more PM sleep but *when* that sleep takes place, iyswim. 

That's a bit abstract. So, concretely, I would say to start pushing his AM nap a bit later (gently) and trying to keep his PM nap around the 16h mark.

I can imagine you're pretty fed up of the whole thing by now! Wishing you a quiet night.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2014, 19:23:14 pm »
Hi Weaver. Thank you so much for your advice.  The am nap is gradually creeping later which is good but it means I don't always get to give him his 2nd nap as he fights and it gets too late.  But maybe I should just let him have a v late 2nd nap and therefore v late BT as the early BTs don't seem to be working that well. Today for instance he napped 10.45 til 12.35 but didn't get drowsy again til about 5 pm so no 2nd nap but BT at 5.45. I'm dreaming of a 12 hr night but I know there's going to be some kind of WU (especially as he has a nasty cold which kept him up last night)!
Just got to grit my teeth and get through this phase really. As I say the am nap is getting later so hopefully we will be on one nap soon enough and I'm hoping nights will start to get better then. Thank you so much again for being patient, understanding and giving your advice.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 16:13:27 pm »
I found that once 2nd nap got late u just allowed 20 mins at 4pm to tide him over to BT.x
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 22:23:21 pm »
Hi all. I just wanted to update in case it helps anyone else who is having the same problem - things are by no means sorted here but I think those of you who suguested OT is the issue might be right.  I'm still having to experiment with naps and BT and I've had some rubbish nights but more and more OT is making sense as the cause (although I'll probably change my mind tomorrow - haha!) I am trying my best to get through this and will try to keep you posted. I would love to hear from anyone else who has experienced long NW's due to OT - it just seems so odd as you would think UT=long NWs and OT=short NWS.
Anyway thank you all so much so far - I'm sure I will be back. ...