Author Topic: What to do after a 4-5 am feed?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
What to do after a 4-5 am feed?
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:30:08 pm »
DS just turned 6 months and has started taking a second bottle during the night.  Last night he went to bed at 715 woke at 11 (drank 7 oz) and 0530 (drank 5 oz-I only made a small bottle).  With this additional feed I am having a really hard time getting him tk take a bottle after he wakes up between 0730-0800.  He is on a 4 hour Easy so should I just wait until 0930 for his first bottle?   TBH we have been struggling with bottles lately - he eats better when sleepy.  I was also considering pushing his bottles closer to nap time.....  Sorry for all of the questions feeling a bit lost.

*Kristen*

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: What to do after a 4-5 am feed?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:21:22 pm »
Have you tried re-settling at the 4/5am wake up instead of feeding?

You can offer a smaller feed as a top up at waking or not long after to get him through the first nap and then back on track.

Laura

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 12:37:42 pm »
Hi Lolly,
I have tried to settle.  I pretty much give him 20-30 minutes to settle with NW - if he doesnt and does his hungry cry I give him a bottle.  He has gone from one bottle to two at night so I am wondering if maybe he is having a growth spurt.  I did ask hubby that if he eats after 4 to give a small bottle.  So frustrating, he was sleeping from bedtime to about 3/4 in the am.  Now he is up at 11/12 and again 5-6 hours later.  His daytime naps are good too, so not convinced it is routine oriented.  I also put him back to two solid meals instead of three to try and increase his milk intake during the day.  So many variables..........

*Kristen*

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 20:20:35 pm »
Have you tried dreamfeeding him earlier than he is waking, so around 10/10.30 pm to see if that helps? It could well be a growth spurt though!

Laura

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 15:00:41 pm »
No I have not tried dream feeding maybe it is worth a try.  TBH i have a hard time staying up that late - we are in bed by 9.  That being said never know it might help :)

*Kristen*

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 05:05:09 am »
Sounds like a growth spurt to me ;)

Given that he is only just 6.5 months old, I would be tempted to cut him back to one meal of solids a day to increase milk.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:01:52 am »
Kristen, hi, you could do what we have been doing. Paced bottle feeding -- so a bit to tide her over otherwise she just will not nurse for the entire morning A time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
I agree that it must be the 6 mos growth spurt

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 13:31:30 pm »
Thank you for all of the tips - i will keep them all in mind.  I have switched things up and it helps a bit:
About 1/2 hour after he wakes bottle (5 ounces) - but dependant on last bottle if he has an early am bottle it is only 3-4 ounces
Solids shortly after bottle
Bottle after nap (5-6 ounces)
Bottle before nap (this is new he does 3 hours of A after a good morning nap and i was having a hard time with his second nap and thought hunger could be the culprit) 4 ounces
Bottle 4 hours later (5 ounces)
Solids
Bottle with bed (4-5 ounce)
Lately he has been waking before midnight and having almost 8 ounces - on an ok night he wont have another bottle until the am around 6-730

So he is getting lots of formula in 24 hrs - really hoping it is a growth spurt.  At his 6 month appointment he had grown 7 cm since his 4 month appointment but hadnt put on as much weight he is 18 lbs.  He gets weighed monthly for his reflux medication - md felt that the weight would catch up again as he just hsd a huge growth spurt length wise.  So, maybe this is what is happening?

*Kristen*