Author Topic: How to fit solids in with 5 milk feeds?  (Read 953 times)

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to fit solids in with 5 milk feeds?
« on: November 13, 2014, 13:16:59 pm »
Hi all,
Ds2 is 19.5 weeks and thinking we may start solids in the next couple of weeks as he is showing all signs of readiness and getting increasingly dissatisfied with his 10oz bottle 5 times a day! However I'm just trying to work out where I should slot the solids in and which milk feed he should start dropping (with DS1 it was a lot easier as he was on 4 feeds 4 hours apart so just did it after 11am feed)

His feed times are roughly 7/1045/2/430/645
Naps are a bit of a nightmare at the moment as he's started 45minute napping so am trying to stretch his A times as he can do about 2hr 10-15mins now but cannot go 4hrs between feeds!!

I'm trying to do this - a short morning nap and long lunchtime nap in order to deal with DS1's lunchtime and nap when he is home. The morning nap is fine but I'm still sometimes getting a short lunchtime nap if A time not enough so then end up with 3 short naps in the afternoon.

WU 645/7
E 7am
S 830-915
E 1045am
S 1130-1
E 2
S 315-445
E 445
Bath 545
E 645
S 7ish

So I can't do solids an hour after the 1045 feed as during a nap and not after the 2 feed as too close to nap? And not after 445 feed as too near bath?? Perhaps I should start with 'breakfast' at 8ish? As that might help push the second feed to 11?

Thanks....

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: How to fit solids in with 5 milk feeds?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 13:48:23 pm »
You can consider offering him solids just after milk. There are babies who are interested in solids really shortly after milk, so it's worth a try.
I would start from solid breakfast (baby rice or some no-gluten cereal with fruit puree), wdyt?
~Marta

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 19:13:33 pm »
Thanks Martii, I might try that then as he often drains his bottles so may well take something sooner than an hour!
Regarding the 5 feeds should it be the last one we try to phase out first? As I guess first we want to get to 4 feeds 4 hours apart so 7/11/3/7ish so should the solids help re-lengthen the gaps between the feeds? So if I start with breakfast at 8ish then in a couple of weeks add in lunch shortly after the 1030-11 feed should that work?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 20:52:17 pm »
Yes usually you go for 4 feeds a day and 3 solid meal at 8, 12 and 4pm. So the routine might look like:
7am bottle
8am solids
11 bottle
12 solids
15 bottle
16 solids
19 bottle
But this schedule is usually pushed as when the first A is 3h and the nap is 1,5h you will just offer bottle at WU so let's say 11:30. Generally with two naps you can offer bottle after WU, after naps (2) and at BT. As the second nap will be getting late like until 4pm, it shouldn't be so difficult to get to BT with only 3h apart. Many women here start from offering a breakfast, then lunch and finally tea/dinner so no to upset a little tummy for night. But you just have to look for a solution for you and your baby. Be flexible and try to adjust feeding schedule to his needs. Remember however that milk intake should still be min 20-24oz up to 1yo so it's always better to offer milk first, than solids.
~Marta