Author Topic: 3 month old waking 6x a night and OT  (Read 998 times)

Offline Natazha

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 14, 2014, 17:31:01 pm »
Hi everyone - I'm SO hoping you can help me... I'm a bleary-eyed second time mom with a 3 year old (in school) and a 3 month old (13 week old adjusted). DD2 was a 'magic' baby when she was born and would sleep ALL the time. At about 7 weeks, she started 'waking up' and since then we've had a lot of trouble sleeping and napping. I started her on an EASY routine/pattern around 8 weeks and we've now gotten to the point where she can go between 2.5-3 hours between feeds most feeds, and sometimes will do a 2 hour feed. I monitor this carefully as she has silent reflux and so sometimes I feel like she needs to eat more often and smaller quantities. But so far so good. She is medicated for the reflux, sleeps in an elevated bassinet and I've discovered and given up her obvious trigger foods, so it is well controlled.

I have 2 major issues with her though - her chronic OT (which I am working on with diligent naps and nap extensions) and her non-stop NWs, which I think is related to her OT and eating.

OT: Because I came to Baby Whisperer and the routine so late, I thought that when a baby was tired, she would sleep and so DD2 was nap deprived for a while. I started working on naps at 10 weeks and now, a month later, she consistently goes down for 4 naps a day. They typically don't last more than 45 mins, so I've been working on nap extensions (shush pat and paci) and she sometimes will go down for another 15-30 mins, but not always. Her last nap of the day (5.30pm-ish) is MUCH harder because DD1 and DH are home at this point and she gets distracted. I've been doing shush pat and while she seems like she hates it (cries the minute I swaddle her and cries harder when I start patting), she always falls asleep with it during the day. I'm working on staying home more so that we can do it more consistently and it can become the new way we do things. I stopped nursing her to sleep during the day at 8 weeks and stopped rocking/jiggling her to sleep at about 12 weeks (2 weeks ago). I'm telling you all this because I think the OT is what is making her wakeup so many times at night.

She was consistently sleeping about 10pm and then waking up at 2am and 6am to feed at about 8 weeks. Now, even though there are nights that she will do 5-5.5 hour stretches from BT, she doesn't do it regularly and more often than not, is up every 1.5-2 hours all night, whether I DF or not. Because she doesn't sleep longer on the nights I DF, I'm thinking that she's still OT and I'm working hard to repay that sleep debt, but I have no idea how long that will take.

She now (for the past month) has a consistent BT routine which includes bath, massage, song, nursing and I've progressively been moving her BT earlier and earlier. It is now 7.45pm (with a DF at 10.30pm). She nurses to sleep at night and was able to just sleep. Now she will sleep for 5-10 mins before waking up and 'calling' for me. I shush pat her back to sleep and she will do that again 1-2 more times. She finally falls asleep around 8.30pm, which was her BT for a long time.

The issue is that whenever she wakes up, she wants to nurse. I feed her if it has been at least 3 hours since her last feed, and have tried shush-patting her back to sleep all the other times. It rarely works and usually just means that we're both awake and she's crying to be fed until her next feed 'time'. I always make sure she stops crying and settles down to sleep with shush pat (even if it's just for 5 mins) before feeding her, so that she doesn't associate the crying with being fed as in 'If I keep crying, Mommy will feed me eventually'. It's not going well. Right now, I and DD1 are both sick with the flu (and I have multiple wake ups with DD1 at night, but that's another story!) and I just don't have the stamina to get through the night, so I've been feeding her not as strictly. She sometimes will empty both breasts, and sometimes will only nurse for a few minutes on one side.

I have just realized that her daytime feeds are terrible - the morning feeds are always the worst, where she is distracted and won't really feed well. By mid-late afternoon though, she starts taking fuller feeds again. This has been the pattern for at least a week that I am aware of (before that we had several reflux flareups) and now I'm paying more attention to giving her fuller feeds during the day. I'm wondering if she is just not filling up during the day and therefore getting all her calories in at night, hence the NWs? I'm sure some of them are related to not being able to settle back to sleep as well.

So here is my plan - and here is where I need your input/advice to let me know I'm on the right track:

1) I'm pumping an hour after her morning feeds today and the plan is to nurse her when she wakes up from her naps, and then feed her whatever I managed to pump too, trying to get more calories in. I was so centered on stretching out her feeds to 2.5-3 hour intervals, I wasn't paying attention to the quality of the feeds. So I'm going to back step and feed her more often - even every 1.5 hours if that means she's filling up. She's always been on the light side (she didn't gain back her birth weight until 4 weeks in and now is consistently gaining weight but at a slower rate than most babies). Is feeding her so often counter-intuitive even if it guarantees that she eats more calories in the day?

2) Cluster feed her in the evenings.

3) Keep up the DF.

4) Reduce the OT by staying home all week for at least a week (before the Thanksgiving traveling craziness starts! Yikes!) so that she can 'practice' naps and shush patting more.

5) Shush pat her and use her paci to get her back to sleep at night if it has not been at least 3 hours since her last wakeup. I'm happy to BF her twice a night, but I think 4+ times is ridiculous! So if I work on getting her the calories during the day, I'm hoping that her NWs for feeds will decrease. Is that good or faulty reasoning?

Is there anything else you'd suggest doing? I cannot go much longer on these NWs with a 3 year old to contend with too and I'm feeling for DD1 because she's not getting much quality mommy time at the moment. :( Help!

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 3 month old waking 6x a night and OT
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 00:31:27 am »
First of all (((hugs))). I hope you and DD1 are feeling better soon. I think while you are ill, you just need to do whatever you can to get you through. Also note that your supply could take a small hit while you're ill, so if DD2 seems more hungry, she may in fact be working to bring your supply back up.

1) I'm pumping an hour after her morning feeds today and the plan is to nurse her when she wakes up from her naps, and then feed her whatever I managed to pump too, trying to get more calories in. I was so centered on stretching out her feeds to 2.5-3 hour intervals, I wasn't paying attention to the quality of the feeds. So I'm going to back step and feed her more often - even every 1.5 hours if that means she's filling up. She's always been on the light side (she didn't gain back her birth weight until 4 weeks in and now is consistently gaining weight but at a slower rate than most babies). Is feeding her so often counter-intuitive even if it guarantees that she eats more calories in the day?
I do think it may be a little counter-intuitive. I've never had a reflux baby, so I can't say from experience, but even if she's better with smaller, more frequent feeds, I think by her age, I'd still be aiming for every 2.5-3hr, with 2hr being a minimum. Of course, if she's genuinely hungry before then, it's always good to feed her. I think the pumping and offering what you get after a nursing is a better solution that feeding every 1.5hr.

2) Cluster feed her in the evenings.

3) Keep up the DF.
Yes, I think those are good to do. However, if you don't notice a difference in nights with a DF, don't feel like you need to keep it just to keep it. It is sometimes more disruptive to sleep for some babies.

4) Reduce the OT by staying home all week for at least a week (before the Thanksgiving traveling craziness starts! Yikes!) so that she can 'practice' naps and shush patting more.
Ok, but don't do it to the detriment of your sanity. An OT baby isn't super fun, but neither is sitting in a dark room shh/patting all day long. Do you have a foolproof way of APing her? I.e. will she sleep a long nap in the car seat, stroller, carrier, swing? I put both my boys in the swing for one long nap per day until they were each about 5/6mo. It helped me spend time with the other kids and saved my sanity as it gave me a break. It didn't hinder their independent sleep skills, as I still put them down for all other sleeps in the crib (well, not my DS2, he had to sleep on the go a lot).

5) Shush pat her and use her paci to get her back to sleep at night if it has not been at least 3 hours since her last wakeup. I'm happy to BF her twice a night, but I think 4+ times is ridiculous! So if I work on getting her the calories during the day, I'm hoping that her NWs for feeds will decrease. Is that good or faulty reasoning?
Sounds good to me.

Is there anything else you'd suggest doing?
Just continue to look at the whole picture. Again, I know OT isn't fun, but you're really doing all you can to prevent it. I'm not totally convinced it's the root of your NW issues (although it could play a part). Are you sure her reflux is fully controlled? The reason I ask is that she often doesn't settle at a NW until she has a feed, yet she doesn't always take a full one. Could she be soothing any reflux pain? There can also be a growth spurt around 3mo, so it's possible she started waking up more for that. I think your plan sounds good, just don't lose sight of the whole picture. :)