Author Topic: Hand washing tips?  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Hand washing tips?
« on: November 17, 2014, 21:09:38 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I'm looking for some hand washing tips for my 3.5 yo DS.  He is very touch-sensitive and really doesn't like water or anything wet/sticky, etc. on his hands.  With cold/flu season starting, I really want to work on this with him!  He will let me wipe them with a cloth, but I have to sneak soapy water on his hands when he's not paying attention for me to get any soap on his hands.  I think it's more the feeling of the soap because he usually gets upset and says "no bubbles, mommy!".  I tried buying him some him Lightning McQueen soap, but that didn't seem to help. :). Anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what works for them?  TIA!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Hand washing tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 21:20:44 pm »
We sing a song to the tune of This Old Man.
"Washing hands, washing hands. Don't forget the backs of hands. In between the fingers too. Washing hands is good for you."

What about some antibacterial mouse for after the wash to kill viruses and bacteria?

Would he cope better if you put the soap on the flannel and rubbed his hands with that?

Does he have a bath regularly? I find a good soak in a bubbly bath gets rid of pen marks etc.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 22:33:20 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 21:26:46 pm »
I fill a sink with soapy water (it does not always bubble) and put some toy dinosaurs and animals in the sink and he plays with them.  If he is adverse to any kind of soap at all, I wonder if a splash of vinegar in the water would do the job ???

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Hand washing tips?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 21:44:51 pm »
Do you talk with him about 'goodies' and 'baddies'?  DS enjoys talking about the goodies and baddies in his body, how they fight etc and that there are baddies in certain places (shops, soft play etc) which we wash off to help our goodies take care of us.

I like Ali's song. We don't do a song just "fronts, backs and inbetweens" but DS likes that.