Author Topic: new to this  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
new to this
« on: November 19, 2014, 12:21:20 pm »
DD2 is 6 days old, which is as long as I lasted trying to BF DD1  :-\ I was overwhelmed by it as a first time mum with no help and I switched to pumping and then formula. This time I'd like to give it a better go and so far its going ok (I think). In the hospital she was too sleepy to really latch on so I hand expressed and gave her colostrum by syringe. Since we've been home she's got the latch going but my milk took 5 days to come in so she's had some formula, and yesterday was the first day that she took full feeds from me.

My question is about knowing when she's done.  She's been feeding for about half an hour and then coming off herself so that's when I've been stopping.  But my boobs are insanely huge, hard, and lumpy. Even when she's just fed it doesn't seem to relieve it much. Does that mean she's not really done or is it just that it takes a while for the body to adjust and get production right?  I've heard all the horror stories about clogged ducts and mastitis, how do you know when the breast is empty?
Emma

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
Re: new to this
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 14:16:48 pm »
Hi Emma :) Your breasts will feel super heavy and uncomfortable for a while, and most probably will leak constantly :p Don't worry. It is normal in the beginning and in a few days, the constant fullness will go away. After that, they will feel firm & full at the beginning of a feed or if you have gone too long between feeds. And in a few months, when your supply is well established, they will start to feel normal. Breasts are never truly empty. They aren't like containers. Instead they work on a supply-demand principle. So the more you feed, the more you produce & vice versa.

When you are nursing, it is a good idea to let her eat from one side first -- burp -- and put her back on the same side. After burping again, you can offer the next side. This way you are ensuring that she gets the fatty hindmilk and not just quencher. The next time you feed, start with the other breast.

It is so great that you are giving it another shot. I am sure that things will go smoothly this time. All the best!

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 14:19:06 pm »
I agree with newkid, the first few days after your milk comes in can be really painful in how large and full you are. Totally not your LO's fault! It should pass soon.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 14:30:16 pm »
((((hugs))))

Boobs made of rocks are part of it :( it does get easier. Your boobs are in overdrive and she has a tiny little tummy. I found that hand expressing off just a little bit, in a hot shower, made things more comfortable. Don't express a lot or you'll just stimulate more supply. You can take painkillers too if they are uncomfortable. Keep an eye out for mastitis. If you have any particularly hard lumps, try *gently* pressing on the lump when she's feeding, it will encourage that duct to empty. First signs of infection, call the GP - you don't necessarily need to go in, they can write a script to pick up - but don't wait, having a NB is hard enough without trying to fight off an infection without meds.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 15:59:34 pm »
Yep, what pps said. Congratulations!

The best part about no2 is that you have all of us here for advice from Day 1!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 22:34:44 pm »
Sounds normal Emami. Keep up the good work and it will get easier.

Do you have any BFing support groups near you?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 01:58:12 am »
I found that hand expressing off just a little bit, in a hot shower, made things more comfortable.
This is a great idea if you need relief from the boulders on your chest :)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Emami

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:36:39 am »
Phew, the boulders are relaxing! And she's going 2.5-4hrs between feeds so she must be getting enough.  I'm sure I will be back with a load more questions but we seem to be going well for now :) Thanks all x
Emma

Offline Emami

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:39:49 am »
Oh, and yes Ali the hospital bombarded me with information about support groups and lactation consultants so I will definitely use them if I get really stuck
Emma

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 10:51:22 am »
The support groups are great just to chat to others in the same situation and see what is normal. No need to wait until you have an actually problem :)

Those intervals between feeds may well be that she is sleepy so don't be surprised if she starts feeding more.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011