Author Topic: Still waking at night time for feeds at 4 months???  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Still waking at night time for feeds at 4 months???
« on: November 19, 2014, 15:40:26 pm »
Hi all!
My baby girl just turned 4 months today and still wakes in the middle of the night to feed. She only wakes once between 3am-4:30am.

She is on the 3 hour easy.
She goes to bed at 7pm, has a dream feed at 10pm. When she wakes she will take about 5-7 ounces so I know she is hungry and its not just night waking.

She's gets anywheres from 800ml to 1000ml of formula in. 24 hr period. 2 nights ago she slept from 7pm to 6:30am and didn't wake to feed and on that day she had 880ml where as last night she had 980ml  and woke at 4pm to feed..... What gives? 

Should I introduce solids at this point?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Still waking at night time for feeds at 4 months???
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 16:12:06 pm »
Perfectly normal behaviour for a 4 month old!!

There is a huge growth spurt at 4 months, some feed more frequently, some sleep more, some do both. The best thing to do is to feed her when she is hungry day or night. Most babies don't drop night feeds until solids are established, so around 7/8 months. Some do drop the night feeds earlier though so you never know.

Should I introduce solids at this point?

No, it's milk she needs not solids as milk has more fats and calories per oz than the early solids and that's what fills her up not things like rice cereal which are pretty empty calories. Milk needs to be her main source of calories and nutrients until she is 1, the solids come in slowly from about 6 months to gradually replace milk.

HTH!

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 04:14:50 am »
My twins are 4 months today.. we have a night feed as well right around the same time.. the odd night we are treated to a sleep in until 430-5am (they do go back down) but it's typically more like 330am.  As Laura said, totally normal.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:32 am »
Completely agree with PPs. Growth spurt aside, it is anyway completely normal for a baby to wake up 1 or even 2 times a night to eat. I just wanted to add that you should also move towards a 4 hour EASY routine. At 4 months, she would be able to go longer between feeds and eat more at each feed too. This may also eliminate waking to feed at night. You might not be able to go straight to 4 hours. Many move to 3.5 first. HTH