Author Topic: Erratic feeding behaviour-4 month old  (Read 2710 times)

Offline LincolnandMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 20, 2014, 16:07:33 pm »
Hello everybody,

I would really appreciate your help, my son is 4 months old, previously he was on 3 hour easy and things were going well (1 and 5 waking to feed and the straight back to sleep) however we switched from combination feeding to just bottle feeding. He wouldn't take very much at the 3 hour mark so I switched him up to the 4 hour mark, however sometimes he makes it fine to the 4 hour mark and feeds really well (6-7 ounces) and sometimes he screams the house down to get more milk after 3 hours usually if he only took 4 ounces at the last feed (even though he has gone 4 hours since the previous feed), he will then only take 3 ounces and be hungry again in another two hours so the whole day of feeding just turns into a mess.

He has now started to wake up at 9.30 in the evening instead of 10.30 even though he always takes 6-7 ounces at 6.30 before bed and then only wants 4 ounces and wakes up around 1.30 takes again a small amount and then is unsettled until he takes more at 2.30 and the sleeps until 6.30 when the whole cycle seems to start all over again.

what should I do? Be more rigid about the times? He has a cold at the moment and has been sick with constipation before we switched him to the bottle full time.

Generally he is a good sleeper, he will go down for naps, self sooth back to sleep and can fall asleep on his own, however I do think the dummy is being used as a "prop". Regardless of this I just don't know how to regulate his feeding, I have tried the 3.5 easy but he again doesn't seem hungry enough to take a full feed, he is getting to the point that he can stay awake for 2 hours but it's more like 1.45 which again makes the 4 hour easier very hard to achieve.

Comments welcome thank you.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Erratic feeding behaviour-4 month old
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 18:09:12 pm »
Maybe it is just the cold and not the feeding that is the problem. DD just had a cold and it definitely affected feeds as well as sleep. She did not eat properly while she was ill and then suddenly started waking up more at night to eat. But honestly, IIWM, I would feed if he really wanted it, even if it meant being off routine. At the end of the day, each baby is different and your baby also may have different needs from day to day. You should follow his cues and just observe for a while. It could be a growth spurt even. You can stick to your routine and offer feeds every 4 hours but if he is actually hungry, you should give him a little bit to tide him over. So if he only ate 4oz at WU, then after a while you could offer him the 3oz that is left? If he is having a tough time staying up for 2 hours, you can gently push his A times by just walking around with him for a while before the nap. You don't have to have the standard EASY. You can modify it to what works for you. So it could be EAEASY