Author Topic: Bedtime routine and cluster feeds  (Read 1176 times)

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Bedtime routine and cluster feeds
« on: November 22, 2014, 19:45:40 pm »
Hi there,

My twins (now 3yo) were bottle fed and fell into an EASY routine fairly easily from being very young. DD is now nearly 5weeks and I am proud to say I am managing to breastfeed this time round.  We started a bit of a bedtime routine last week (bath, lullaby and last feed upstairs with dimmed lights) at about 7pm. Problem is,despite feeding every 2-3 hours in the day she tends to wake about 9pm and cluster feeds until about 11pm. My question is, at this age would it really matter if I took her downstairs again while she does this? When do u thinkLO's really start to take notice of a BT routine. I've been feeding her upstairs but I get so boooooored!  Also, being new to BFing I was suprised by this cluster feeding (until I googled it) it didnt really happen with my bottle fed boys. How ling does it generally last? She seems to do it no matter how many feeds she takes during the day!

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Bedtime routine and cluster feeds
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 20:55:20 pm »
With DS1 I just used to keep him downstairs in the living room until we went to bed and he would feed and doze on either me or DH while we watched TV or whatever. As you suggest I would have gone stir crazy up in the bedroom all that time.

Many people stop cluster feeding between 6-8wo.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Gobolinosmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 20:00:55 pm »
Hey  :)

With both of ours at that age we had them down in the living room with us in the evenings, with the lights dimmed. They both cluster fed until about 11pm too, so like Ali said, we just chilled out in front of the telly and fed, I kept either the moses basket or rocker chair on hand for dozing between feeds (my reflux babies preferred to be upright) then we'd all go up to bed at around 11. Once they stopped cluster feeding we started giving them a proper bedtime.

Hope that helps! x

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 00:36:58 am »
Thank you both for your replies. We're going with the feeding downstairs for a few weeks. Certainly beats sitting in a darkened room by myself! x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 15:45:36 pm »
It won't last too much longer I imagine.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011