Author Topic: 8 week old switching on and off from 4 hr feeds to 2 hrs  (Read 876 times)

Offline echohush

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 week old switching on and off from 4 hr feeds to 2 hrs
« on: November 27, 2014, 17:59:26 pm »
Hi everyone,

DS 8 weeks today who is exclusively breastfed seems to be switching on and off from 4 hr to 2 hr feeding schedules sometimes every other day and sometimes in the day itself. His awake time is still quite limited and is a miserable little one when he doesn't get enough sleep, so sometimes we end up doing EASYAE...

I am wondering if this is normal? Is he not hungry and is needing comfort? He seemed to already have his growth spurt and significantly upped my supply a week ago. He is now almost 13 lbs, after being jaundiced and loosing over 10% of his body weight!

With my DD we weren't on easy until 5 months so this period with EASY is quite new to me! Any thoughts would be great.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 8 week old switching on and off from 4 hr feeds to 2 hrs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 22:30:26 pm »
It's very common for babies to have irregular intervals between feeds, especially at this age. He is very young to be going 4hrs between feeds in the day. Is he sleeping for hours between feeds and that is why he isn't feeding more frequently?

I'd maybe wake him in the day if he hasn't feed for 3hrs.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline echohush

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 8 week old switching on and off from 4 hr feeds to 2 hrs
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 21:21:15 pm »
I am so happy to learn this is normal!  Yes, I too worry when he spaces 4 hrs during the day. He is not sleeping the whole time but gives no hungry cues and sometimes refuses the breast.

He is sleeping most of that time- he sometimes does a 3.5 hr stretch in the afternoon.