Author Topic: Awake for two hours in the middle of the night  (Read 1118 times)

Offline LincolnandMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Awake for two hours in the middle of the night
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:31:31 am »
How do I solve the problem of night awakenings. My 4 month old has been moved onto a 4/4 routine. Which I thought would solve the problem of him being awake in the middle of the night, he never did this before, only woke to feed and then straight back to sleep. His routine is as follows

7.00- feed
7.00-8.45awake, activity
8.45-11- sleep
11-1 eat activity
1-2.30 sleep
2.30-4.30-awake, eat, activity
4.30-5.00 sleep
5-7 bath eat sleep

Then I feed him around 9.45 and that usually gets him through until 1.30-2 when he takes a full bottle and doesn't eat until 6.30-7 again.

However the last  few weeks or so he has started to want to be awake from his 1.30 feed until exactly 3.30 when he falls asleep again. He needs a nappy change at this time as well, should I do it before the feed?

Ideas welcome- thank you

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Awake for two hours in the middle of the night
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 15:58:47 pm »
DS did this around that age as well and I think DD did also...I understood it just to be a thing that passes...they are finally seeing more of whats around them and they are curious lol...but that was just my experience :) I would change his diaper before the feed so maybe he can stay relaxed after his feed. Is it a poopy diaper or just wet? I would slather DD and DS with ointment before bed and would only change them if it was leaking or poopy just to avoid any unnecessary stimulation.
VIBES!! I know its rough!! Hopefully one of the pros will be on here soon with some real advice lol!!

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 16:54:41 pm »
Increase your A times, especially before nap 1 and maybe cap that nap at 2 hours, maybe? Sounds like it could be too much day sleep.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:29:27 am »
How much was he sleeping before when on 3 naps? For me it also looks like slightly too much daytime sleep. Btw, we were having the same problem when in nap transitioning period, both 4:3 and 3:2.
~Marta

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 19:12:32 pm »
I went through the same thing with DD at that age. It lasted a (wretched) week or so and then the long NWs stopped.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014