Author Topic: Milk not in bottles so not interested  (Read 1331 times)

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 28, 2014, 19:43:54 pm »
Hi all-just a quick query as I'm a bit unsure. DD has just turned 1 and we have dropped all day time bottles. We offer full fat milk in a sippy cup but she's not really interested at all-probably takes 1-2oz Max a day. She has a good solid, varied diet including lots of other dairy sources but the HV told us she needs the 'equivelant' of 1 pint of full fat milk a day-How do I know whether what she is getting through her diet is enough?  She has full fat milk in her cereal every day, cheese, yoghurt etc.

She still has a 6oz bottle just before bed whilst we use up the formula, but we are mixing with full fat milk & will cut down ozs so she drops that soon too.

Just want to know she's getting enough calcium etc in her diet given she's not interested in drinking cows milk!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Milk not in bottles so not interested
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 20:47:14 pm »
it took E a bit before he would drink out of the sippy.  B actually did better with a  straw cup so we went straight from bottle to straw with him. 

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 20:56:24 pm »
You think she doesnt drink the milk because of the taste or because its in a sippy cup?
Is she drinking water from it?

From what you said,I think she is getting enough calcium.
Id just keep offering the milk. Have you tired offering it in the bottle, just to see if she likes it? Or warming it up? Or different cup or like Lana said form a bottle with straw.

DD does not want to take anything form the sippy cup, but today I positioned her in the same way as when I give her milk and she drank water form it. She also drinks more milk if its warmer.

THT

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 21:10:43 pm »
Current UK guidelines say a minimum of 300ml which is about half a pint, it used to be 1 pint so your HV is a bit out of date.

Her bedtime bottle gives her a bit over half of what she needs so with her cereal milk and some cheese/ yoghurt in the day she is getting enough I think.

Keep offering the sippy cup, it does take them a while to get used to drinking milk from it but if she likes the taste of the milk, it will improve. We kept the bedtime bottle for a while to make sure DD got one good milk drink a day, there is no problem with keeping that bottle, just make sure it's drunk quickly and teeth are cleaned afterwards.

Laura

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 22:14:24 pm »
You may have already done this but there are lots of styles of cup... both mine to start with preferred a cup that was very much like a bottle - soft teat, valved, etc - and then later transitioned through a few styles to end up with something more like a traditional tip/sip cup.