Author Topic: Not eaten much for weeks and dropped a centile  (Read 1351 times)

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Not eaten much for weeks and dropped a centile
« on: November 28, 2014, 21:43:33 pm »
Dd was a brilliant eater until a few months ago when she started to get a little more fussy but still eating decent portions etc. For probably the past 4-6 wks she's just picked at food and the last 2 weeks have probably been the worst  :(

She's been teething canines for forever and they've still only just cut the gum so could be that? Plus I know toddlers do become fussy and not so interested in food.

Since August she's only gained 2oz and dropped from the 50th to the 25th centile. Obviously I can't force her to eat and can only offer varied meals and snacks but it is a little worrying. She seems all skin and bones  :(
There was a 7mth old baby being weighed at the same time today and he weighed 1/2 lb less than DD who's 20mths!

Should I be trying to give high calorie foods to help her gain weight? What are some good examples if so?

Lauren

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Not eaten much for weeks and dropped a centile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:08:58 am »
Mine went off food when his teeth were really sore. Are you able to try meds 20 mins before a meal just to see if it helps?
LOs do have big spurts of growth though and aren't expected to gain steadily. Dropping 1 centile line (such as 50 to 25) is usually not considered a concern, mine fluctuated a line up and a line down depending when his growth spurt came.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 11:01:14 am »
If her teeth are sore she might enjoy some cool yoghurts (petit filous or, hurrah, sugar free version by Yeo Valley) or even some ice cream.  Those are high calorie.  Avocado too. Spreadable cheeses on toast, crackers, whatever she likes to eat. Not high calorie but a favourite in our house is apple purée from the fridge (again nice and cold). 

Would she enjoy helping prepare things? That might encourage her to eat a bit.  If she's happy enough to eat biscuits or cakes, then try to come up with more nutritious versions of the same thing.  I do carrot and apple cakes with no sugar, or sugar-free rice pud (in the oven) is also a good one.

I really wouldn't worry, Lauren, totally normal around this age.  My LO2 seems to be living on air at the moment and it drives me bananas but I know there's nothing I can do to *make* her eat.  So trying to redirect my frustrations elsewhere.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 13:26:11 pm »
Thanks for the re-assurance ladies!

She's into home made smoothies at the moment for breakfast so I've bought avocado to add in.

She would probably love to help prepare some of the food actually. Typical girl and wants to do everything by herself! Will try to get her involved in helping with some simple stuff.

Oh yes she has no problems eating the good stuff like biscuits etc  :P I've made some flap jack bars today for her with dried fruit etc in. Will check out some healthier cake recipes.

She went off yoghurt for a while but bought some more today and completely forgot about ice cream.

Thanks
Lauren

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 17:44:20 pm »
Last weekend she was sick a few times on Sunday and I thought was a bug. She's been ok all week apart from not eating much. Today she's eaten better than she has in days but just thrown up everywhere again  :(

Could it be something she's eaten. she had cherry tomatoes last weekend and today. Could they cause it? She's eaten them since weaned and never caused a problem before.

Trip to the docs next week perhaps?
Lauren