Author Topic: 8 week old easy!  (Read 1381 times)

Offline michelleerin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 30, 2014, 20:05:37 pm »
Hi,

i have an 8 week old and im wondering how many times she should be up at night for and for how long? Her easy is
7am 3oz, 10am 3oz, 1pm 3oz, 4pm 3/4oz, 7pm 3oz and 10.45 dream feed. She sleeps after awake time during the day 1hr or 1.15 has a cat nap at 5.30 ish for 30 mins ish then bottle at 6.45/7pm and is asleep by 7.30/8pm. Then she may be up at 9.30 i give her soother she will go back then dream feed she may wake for this at 10.30 and then she sleeps by 11.30 until maybe 1ish and then give soother maybe wind her and she will go back this could go on every half hr of giving soother etc until i give bottle at 3am. She then is awake for over an hour and will sleep from 4am or 4.30 until maybe 6.30.

Sorry it reads very messy!![] I know she has wind and does not get up much at all, is also on nutramigen formula the last three weeks as she was quite unsettled on breast milk and other formulas but is much better now. Also she wont drink more than 3.5 oz during the day every 3 hours. I think she should be on more for her age?? She is my third child and i thought id know what to do at this stage but finding it quite hard at night to settle. Also im thinking is it the soother that a prop or is she really hungry as not drinking enough during the day?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Michelle

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 8 week old easy!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:24:20 am »
Hi there, I'm proof that even though it's your third doesn't mean things are easier or you really know what you're doing! :P They're all so different!

It's really normal at her age to have 2-3 NFs still, so I think that's fine. However, she's up much more than that, so I do think something else is up. I've never FF, so I don't know a whole lot about total ounces or ounces per feed, but I would think 3-4oz every 3hrs at 8 weeks seems not far off. I'll see if I can get another opinion.

You mention she has wind and is on nutrimigen. Do you see any signs of reflux? Reflux 101 - General reflux information She seems so unsettled, that I would think discomfort might be a possibility. Are you able to burp her well at each feed? Does it help her to settle better if you hold her upright? Have you tried feeding her before 3am, say 1:30/2 (as that's 3-4hr after the DF) to see if it helps her settle for longer? How long is her typical A time during the day?  Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a sense of what's going on.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 20:49:00 pm »
Here in Poland they say child should take around 140ml per each kg of its body if I am correct so ie 5kg baby would take around 700ml. On my formula (Bebilon comfort) it was written that 2-3mo should take around 780ml/24h (they say 6x 130). So I agree with Katie that if your lo takes smaller feeds (like 3oz) there should be around 8 feeds a day. If she consistently will go to 4oz per each feed you may slowly drop to 7/6 feed a day.
~Marta

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:35 am »
Here the recs are 24 oz as a minimum in 24 hours so would need 8 feeds with 3 oz per feed. I for sure would try feeding sooner at night to fit in an extra feed until your lo can take more at once.
Heidi

Offline michelleerin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 20:19:12 pm »
Hi,

Sorry for late reply. Things are getting worse with baby. Ok so her A time during the day is about 1hr. 15mins or 1hr 30 mins max. She will sleep for then 1hr 30mins but may wake after 40 mins or 30 mins ill give soother settle she normally goes back. If we are out walking etc will sleep for the 2 hours.

The last few days/nights have been tough as she is very cranky while feeding, after feeding, during the night wakings etc. So i definitely think reflux now. Today i got Gaviscan sachets to try as had been trying all the other things no joy.

Last night this was her easy.

7pm bottle 3.5 oz went on until 7.45, bed at 8pm.
Awake at 9.30 gave soother went back asleep.
10.45 dream feed went back asleep at 11.30
1pm woke i winded gave soother went back asleep,
1.30pm same again.
2pm crying etc. Gave bottle 3oz crying seemed tired.
2.45 back asleep.
4am woke soother feel out crying, sucking  on soother. Tried to shush in crib not happy.
4.45 back asleep.
5.50 awake gave bottle drank 3.5 oz.
7am tried to get asleep she was crying so much as this is nor,ally her first bottle and awake time so maybe she was confused!!
Finally got asleep at 7.25
8.15am woke would not go back asleep
8.40 I put in car seat to do school run etc slept until 10am.
10am back on track for the day.

Expect for 1 nap would not go in to crib, wont sleep on back, so i put her on side for last few weeks. Crib is elevated since she was born.

I think its the soother also can this be worse for Reflux? Is this a prop now as if she wakes sucks and sucks on it then screams i don't know?

How can i get rid of soother if cant us e pick up put down until 3 months? She does not settle well with shush pat?

This evening she went to bed at 7.30pm and i have been back in her room 5 times to resettle in a half hour!! She was well winded before bed.

Sorry please any thoughts would be great.

Thanks so much,

Michelle

Offline katie80

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 00:29:27 am »
(((Hugs))), Michelle, it definitely sounds like she's uncomfortable.

I think its the soother also can this be worse for Reflux? Is this a prop now as if she wakes sucks and sucks on it then screams i don't know?
Actually, a soother usually helps with reflux, as the sucking action is soothing. It sounds more to me like she's in pain rather than a prop issue.

How can i get rid of soother if cant us e pick up put down until 3 months? She does not settle well with shush pat?
Well, if she has reflux you probably don't want to use PUPD at all right now, as the up and down motion can be aggravating. I don't know that I would worry about getting rid of the soother for now, I would focus on getting her comfortable and then see where you are. You really can't 'sleep train' a baby who is in pain. If shh/pat doesn't work, can you try an alternative, such as stroking her temple or rubbing her thigh or laying an arm across her from one hip to the other shoulder and tapping/rubbing the shoulder? Are you able to put her in a bouncy chair or carrier/wrap to have one good nap per day where she is more upright until you can get the reflux under control?

Offline michelleerin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 20:01:38 pm »
Hi,

Ah thanks for the message.a little better today and she seems to be getting a little less cranky. Slept in the car seat for 2 hours today while out and she was in such good form. I hope things settle for her soon. Thank you its such a great support.

Michelle

Offline katie80

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 00:31:45 am »
Hope she continues to improve! :)