Author Topic: Night wakings  (Read 3864 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Night wakings
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 04:59:27 am »
Fingers crossed for you! :)

Offline HollyNF122

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 18:50:30 pm »
Hello everyone!

I thought that I should update you all and get some more feedback. Our LO has adjusted to a 3.5 hour routine well. His activity times are right around 1:45 hrs and naps our usually 1-1.5hrs. We have moved his bedtime up to roughly 7:30pm the past few nights and that is going ok. Night wakings are less frequent. He has started to wake up at 10:30, wanting his DF. He then usually wakes up around 2am and again at 5 or 6 am, and we just keep him up for the day at that time. I'm afraid he is not getting enough during the day and that is why he is still waking at night. Even though we have transitioned to the 3.5 hr EASY routine, he is not eating more at each feed to compensate.

One thing that is new for us is that he doesn't fall back asleep very easily. He used to fall back asleep with a little rocking or his paci during the night after just a few mins. Now when he falls asleep and we try to put him in his crib he wakes up and starts screaming! Not sure what to do or what is causing that?!

Offline katie80

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 00:35:34 am »
Are you able to post a few days of your EASY routine? If you're getting some 1hr naps and some hard to settle NWs, he may be in need of a little more A time.

Offline HollyNF122

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:07 am »
I don't have any of the past days EASY routine written down. I have been working the past few days so I don't even get to see him awake. I leave early and get home late. I have written down our routine for the nanny to follow. I can't say how close she stays on it but I know he gets fed at the feeding times listed (every 3 hrs) and she says that he plays and naps well. I know that he has no trouble with the 1:45 A time. What do you think could be causing this?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 10:30:18 am »
It's difficult to say really without the daytime easy. Could you ask your nanny to write down rough times for you?

Also, do you know is the nanny following set times that you give her or is she following his sleepy signs as you would? Would she shorten an A time after a short nap for example?
~ Naomi ~

Offline HollyNF122

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 23:07:29 pm »
Here was my LO's schedule from the nanny today.
Eat at 0600; nap from 9:00-9:30 (woke him up to eat)
Eat at 9:30; nap from 11:00-11:35 and again from 12:30-1:00 (woke him up to eat)
Eat at 1:00; nap from 2:00-2:50
Eat at 4:30; cat nap from 5:15-5:50

The nanny follows the feeding times I give her but I think she goes by his cues with naps.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 10:34:42 am »
It looks to me like the daytime stuff is probably affecting the nighttime for you. If he is happily sleeping long naps when he's with you it looks like the different A times and being woken from naps to feed is unsettling him.

Is he gaining weight well? If so, I probably wouldn't wake him to eat, unless he has slept for more than two hours.

That first A time looks long - 3 hours, and then after that being woken to feed would leave him quite OT I imagine so despite the next A time being shorter it may still be a bit too long following so little sleep earlier. That time between 6am and 9in the morning, are you traveling with your LO is there a possibility he could be put down to sleep earlier?
~ Naomi ~

Offline katie80

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 00:19:23 am »
I agree with Naomi. ^^^

For his age and A time, I'd aim for something close to this...
W/E 6am
A (~1h45m-2h)
S 8-9:30am
E 9:30am
A (~1h45m-2h)
S 11:30-1pm
E 1pm
A (~1h45m-2h)
S 3-4:30pm
E 4:30pm
A (~1h45m-2h)
E 6pm
S/BT 6:30pm

What do you think... is something like that doable?

Offline HollyNF122

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 19:56:05 pm »
Hello all!

Well our sleeping problems have not improved. We have made our LOs bedtime earlier, lengthened his activity time and got him to take better naps. Our bedtime routine hasn't changed other than starting it sooner. Not sure what else to try! We has our 4-month check up today and our pediatrician thinks it is night terrors! I have not heard of night terrors this young. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Offline katie80

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 20:42:20 pm »
No, I've not heard of that either... seems like a bit of a bogus answer if I'm totally honest. :-\ I'll do some asking around, though.

Can you give us a few days of EASY to look at and tell us exactly what's happening in the MOTN? Maybe we can find some clues to help you figure it out.

Offline HollyNF122

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 10:02:27 am »
Sorry it has taken me forever to respond! The holidays have been so busy for us. I haven't been able to write down our LO's routine every day but I can honestly say it doesn't matter what his days look like, he will still wake up at night. We have had days that are perfect, A-Time and nap wise, and other days that are not so perfect and he still does the same thing at night. It also doesn't matter if he sleeps in his crib or a swing.

So, at night he will wake up randomly and start fussing and it turns to crying pretty quickly. LO usually wakes up every 1-2 hours, sometimes as often as every 30-45 mins. Bedtime is at 7:30 and he usually gets up for the day between 6-7 am. LO also usually eats around 1-2 AM. When he wakes up at night it doesn't take much for him to go back to sleep. We just give him his paci and he is back asleep within minutes.  When he goes to bed and when he takes naps during the day we put him to bed awake and he doesn't have a problem falling asleep on his own.

Offline katie80

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 00:51:56 am »
Do you think the paci has become a prop and he is waking in the night for it?

It would be helpful for us to look at some routines as well. The NWs may be random as you say, but there may be a clue we could spot in your EASYs to help.

Offline HollyNF122

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 11:23:49 am »
I'm afraid you may be right about the paci being a prop. But it's the only thing that satisfies our LO (other than nursing). He goes back to sleep immediately when we replace it in the middle of the night. We were trying to get his sleeping back on track before we got rid of it but I don't know if that will ever happen. Here is our schedule from yesterday!

12/27/14
0200- nurse 12 mins
0500- nurse 8 mins
Awake at 0700- nurse 10 mins
A-Time- 0710-0930
Nap at 0930
Awake at 0920
Nurse at 1030 (19 mins)
Nap at 12:10
Awake at 1:45
Nurse at 1:50 (12 mins)
Asleep at 3:10
Awake at 4:00
Eat 4:40 (19 mins)
Story time at 6:30
Bath at 6:45
Nurse at 7:05 (30 mins)
Put in crib at 7:40 (awake without paci)
7:50- crying (gave paci)
8:05- asleep
9:00- crying (replaced paci)
10:40 dream feed
12:41- crying (replaced paci)
01:42- crying (replaced paci)
1:54-  nurse (27 mins)
04:55- crying (replaced paci)
06:11- awake for the day and nursed

Offline katie80

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 01:06:24 am »
Can you remind me how old he is now?

One problem I see for sure is that his last A time is much too long. He was awake for 4hr from his last nap til BT, so was probably quite OT. That would explain the several, crying NWs during the first half of the night and the 10hr night. Ideally, you'd probably shoot for a 6:30/7pm BT on a day like that... there would still likely be a little OT, but with a 12hr day hopefully better.

Unfortunately, if you have a prop, sleep probably won't get better until you get rid of it... it doesn't often work the other way around. But, I think with a little more work on routine, we might be able to reduce the NWs and then you can decide if you want to ditch the paci or be patient until he can replug on his own, which is usually possible around 6/7/8mo.

Can you keep good track of a few days of EASY for us to look at and we'll see if we can spot a pattern we may be able to tweak?

Offline HollyNF122

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 02:54:20 am »
He is 4.5 months now. I will keep track of the next couple of days of our EASY schedule, no problem! We are going to try moving his bedtime up to 6:30/7 like you suggested. We would like to tackle one problem at a time, preferably the NW first! Haha. Another problem we are having is our LO gets way off schedule when he is at daycare. For example, he only took two naps today instead of the usual three. Not sure what we can do about this... Any suggestions?