Author Topic: Tackling naps.. Day 1!  (Read 2474 times)

Offline LizWaby76

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:52:31 am »
Okay so after avoiding the issue, today I am starting tackling the nap in the cot monster!

Ds is 9 weeks and I can only give him one nap in the cot each day due to school runs, but today he had his feed at 10.00 (he's on 3.5 hour easy), and he started to yawn at 11.00am, so took him upstairs, one arm swaddled, rocked him for ten mins and put him down. He was fine for about ten mins and then it began!

Anyway, the upshot is i had to rock/pat shush until he was nearly asleep in my arms but not quite, then put him down. It took an hour! And I know he will only sleep for 45 mins but it's a start to get him off to sleep In There. I'm determined that every day this week he will have one nap in his cot....I Hope!

X

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Tackling naps.. Day 1!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:14:18 pm »
Well done!  Holding your hand :)

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:39:00 pm »
Thanks! He actually on slept for 30 mins and woke up crying and it's taken 20 mins to get him Sleep again! and he's asleep on me which isn't what I had planned for! I daren't put him down as I know he will wake up again :-( x

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 18:38:12 pm »
One step at time xx

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 12:37:55 pm »
Well day two has been even worse!

Little fella got yawny around the one hour mark, so took him up, semi swaddled and had our little chat and put him down. Thought he was going to manage it today as he was quite happy for around 20mibs and then it was usual carnage!

Pat/shushed and rocked and he went off after a bit of a fight, slept for ten mins and then he woke up crying so did same again and he asleep (for about three mins so far!) in his cot.   I wonder if I am giving him enough A time. I know he's yawning but I might push to 1.10 tomorrow and see what happens.

Am keeping plodding on! Sat on the floor of his nursery eating crisps and typing this!

Xx

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »
Keep on keeping on :). He's very tiny still, and a lot will change in a few short weeks.  Are you trying for just one nap a day at the moment?  That's what I did early on and it kept me sane until DS started to 'get it'.  Also meant we could ward off OT with a sling or car nap as much as possible x

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 13:20:01 pm »
God this kid is stubborn  :o

We've been at it for two hours now and he's still refusing to give in!

Yes just one nap a day!!! The other two are on the school runs.  Of course now he will be getting hungry.

I also have a major headache......

Xx

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 13:59:30 pm »
Give up hun!! Honestly if it wasn't happening in 15 mins or so at this age I just used AP and tried again next time.  Two hours - no point, he's hugely OT and not in a position to learn anything about IS at this point.  Call it a learning experience and try again tomorrow xxx

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 12:13:30 pm »
Day 3.... Gave him ten mins extra A time today. I know seems like a lot but thought would try what happens when he actually starts squawking as opposed to just yawningz

I've also put him a sleeping bag for first time (God help me!) as we have had him sleeping with one arm out of his swaddling for five nights now and when he is awake he favours the swaddled hand for self-soothing.  I figure the naps can't get any worse!

So he's in his cot and he's got flipping hiccups.... But no crying as yet!

Xx

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 15:39:46 pm »
So he actually went to sleep on his own!!! Took him 25
Mins of just chattering but he dropped off.... Unfortunately it only lasted 30 mins and he wouldn't go back off, but its a start!

Not sure what 30 mins means?

Xx

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 15:47:01 pm »
Usually OT.  But a good start and shows you he can do it :D

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 12:32:31 pm »
Day 4. Epic epic epic fail......  :'(

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 12:49:04 pm »
Lots of hugs :-* don't put too much pressure on yourself, he is still very tiny hun.  Can you get out and about in the afternoon and do something nice for yourself?  Let him sleep in the car/pram?  Honestly it is slow going in these early weeks, around three-four months was a turning point for both of mine xxx

Offline LizWaby76

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 13:33:59 pm »
Thank you for the encouragement. He will fall asleep later on the school run. I leave a bit earlier and walk so it fits in with his routine. 

I've got a 9 year old and a 6 year old but the age gap has left me feeling like a first time mum again and I'm second guessing everything I'm doing right now!

Xx

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 13:34:38 pm »
I think we all do that regardless of how many LOs we have or how old they are.  Part of being a mum hey?