Author Topic: Making my own mushed food  (Read 1963 times)

Offline goldmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Making my own mushed food
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:04:18 am »
Sorry for that title, I'm not sure how to spell puree (is that right?)  :P

So I've finally decided that making baby food isn't so hard and un-doable, so I've gone ahead and made peas for my LO3 (starting solids very soon). I've mashed them in a blender with a bit of water, and put them into ice cube trays to save for later. So once they're frozen, how does it work? Do I keep them in a tray until I use them, or can I empty them somewhere once they're frozen so I can reuse the tray? Do I melt them first, or can they go straight into the microwave before I serve them to him?

What else should I know about making my own purees? Any hints or tips available?

TIA  :)

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
Re: Making my own mushed food
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 02:43:13 am »
I put them in a plastic bag and labeled what they were and the date. I would try to take out what I knew I was going to use in the morning so it would thaw some in the fridge then reheat in the microwave.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:54:08 am »
These may be helpful
Tips for Making Baby Food
Foods To Avoid

Weaning guides are different in each country. In the UK it's advised to start introducing finger foods at 6 months or soon after.  This can be alongside or instead of puree foods and the puree stage goes quite rapidly from puree to mush to chopped, so perhaps be aware of this when you're batch cooking purees and not make too much.

hope this helps

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:02:19 am »
Nothing to add on the pureed food, but I completely missed you'd had another LO! Congratulations  ;D

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 08:14:14 am »
Aslo moved them to a labeled bag and reused the trays. I either defrosed what I needed on the counter, or if it was a last minute thing, just stuck it in the micro. Bit tricky with temp though, parts boiling and parts still frozen.
Started finger food at 7-8mo

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 18:51:31 pm »
Did the same and storaged in plastic bags. I have no microwave:) so I heated in a water bath (how to call it...?). So I boiled water in a small pot, put small bowl on the pot and put food there. Usually steam from water boiled in a pot is heating the bowl and making the food warm.
It prevented the food to become very hot as usually if I heated it in a pot (small portion) food was getting extremely hot very quickly.
~Marta

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 00:31:45 am »
Thanks all, this is great advice here. Once batch of peas made, and I'll be lucky if I ever get around to the carrots, zucchini and sweet potatoes :P

Thanks LL&J!