Author Topic: 7 wo choking on his bottle  (Read 1581 times)

Offline nicolemca

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:53:48 am »
DS2 is just over 7 weeks old now, is breastfed and a great, efficient eater. Since he was 2 weeks old we have been giving him one, sometimes two bottles of EBM per day, usually an evening feed or the dreamfeed. He'll occasionally get a bottle in the daytime if I'm out, and usually the bottles are given by DH but he seems to accept them fine from me too. About a week ago, he has been what sounds like choking or gagging on his bottles, eventually getting upset. He will still accept a breastfeed at these times. He's come down with his first cold this week, but this started before he got sick, and on his first day of being ill, he took a bottle well because he couldn't latch onto the breast. We're still on the Stage 1 nipple, could this be the issue?? I'm pretty sure I've got a very fast letdown/flow so I know he can handle the faster flow.

Any thoughts, suggestions?? It's extremely important to me that he is able to be fed by others, I didn't have that with DS1 as we just weren't consistent enough with giving bottles at the beginning, and he eventually refused them and so we gave up on it. I didn't realize then how limiting it would be!!! So we're quite new to the whole bottle feeding business!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 7 wo choking on his bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 13:46:01 pm »
Can you get vari-flow teats where you are? Bottle teats have a constant drip unlike being breast fed so it could be that he doesn't like, the vari-flow teats are controlled by the baby so may suit him better.

You could try the faster teat but it's not advised with a breastfed baby as they can start to prefer the easier bottle and refuse the breast.

Laura

Offline nicolemca

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 23:23:43 pm »
Thanks Laura. I'm in Canada so I'm sure I'll be able to find the vari-flow nipples. Do they have any other name?? He took a bottle last evening from Grampa, as we were out at my Christmas party. He just had another half bottle now, but again began gagging after 2 oz, and I know he usually will take 3-4. However, he seems satisfied for the moment :)