Author Topic: Support for dropping the nap part 12  (Read 229822 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Support for dropping the nap part 12
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2016, 14:20:34 pm »
DSwas very unsettled all evening- waking every 40mins or so, I wondered if he was a bit UT/OT with EBT? But he slept until 6am this morning so a 12 hr night overall.
Not sure what to do tonight (another NND but DS not as exhausted overall today) stick with 6am BT to keep a 12hr day or go back to 7pm and just use an earlier BT occasionally as a catch up?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2016, 08:35:06 am »
I wish I knew, hopefully someone will help!

Personally I would try for a nap for 30mins, if refused, ok then do your EBT. At least he gets some downtime? Saying that, we had 12hrs ONS the day before, actually took her nap then we had a screaming and crying fit for over an hour at BT. I didn't know what to do. I haven't ever seen her like that. I was in tears and so was she. She kept asking me to close her eyes?! I so hate this  :'( xx

Offline KatyBee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2016, 10:45:46 am »
I wonder if it's worth pushing the nap much later KatyBee? It's great he's actually taking it at that time, but as you said it is UT and perhaps he's OT by BT? We too have a bubba that takes ages to wind down at BT, so I don't see that too much of an issue. Perhaps if you could push the nap closer to 1pm for 40mins capped it might help? Someone once told me on here that the idea is the first A can be long, then a short CN isn't restorative then the first A rides out over the shorter second?

Funnily enough the opposite helped us Kelljs!  :) at the weekend whilst out with my hubby my son fell asleep at 11:20am and  woke around midday and therefore I was able to get my son to bed at 7pm... (it is impossible to get him to sleep in much less than 7 hrs A before bed, so a later nap is totally disastrous unfortunately  - I've tried it!) ..he then slept until almost 7am and  we felt a bit back on track.... phew!

He then did an easy NND day and was in bed by 6:45pm and slept until 7:15am yesterday!!!! Which felt amazing

However.... we are falling back into shorter nights after NND again as last night he was tough to get to bed - didn't seem overtired, just happy and wanted to play... so got him to sleep at 7:10pm and he woke at 5:50 am this morning. .... so still better than the days with a nap, but this is what happened last time, earlier & earlier wake ups until he needed the nap again....

Got nursery today so likely to fall asleep in the car on way home -  might try capping it to 20mins and fingers crossed can keep bedtime reasonable!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:51:01 am by KatyBee »

Offline KatyBee

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2016, 10:47:50 am »
I didn't know what to do. I haven't ever seen her like that. I was in tears and so was she. She kept asking me to close her eyes?! I so hate this  :'( xx

Oh Kellyjs :( I totally sympathise... it's awful

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2016, 14:23:28 pm »
Glad you've found something that worked for you, even if it's just the opposite to what I thought  ;)

DD has taken a nap today and for my sanity I've let her have an hour... that's going to bite me int he ar$e tonight isn't it?! xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2016, 21:13:15 pm »
Haha, I hope not for your sake Kellyjs.  Maybe she just needed the catch up? It sounded like the poor thing had become very OT :(

We put DS to bed at 7 last night & he slept until 6.30.  That's ok but another NND today and he was OT by BT (trying to stick to 7pm for consistency and to accommodate DD's routine too). Will probably get EW tomorrow and a tired, grumpy boy again.  Just got to hope for a catch up nap eventually but he's an adamant nap refuser now &, short of shutting him kicking & screaming in his room (which I would never do), there's not much I can do to make him nap if he doesn't want to.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2016, 21:37:30 pm »
A 20min car nap worked well here if we had an EW and I didn't want to have to do EBT.
Lauren

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2016, 21:57:56 pm »
Thanks, Lauren.  What sort of time did you do a car nap? It's tricky juggling with DD too!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2016, 22:20:23 pm »
For us it had to be earlier rather than later (even as early as 11am). What time are DD's naps? Could one of hers be in her car seat? Wake DS after 20mins and then carry DD indoors to continue her nap? I know some babies won't sleep well in car seat but DD2 loves it and sleeps the best in hers!

Lauren

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2016, 14:23:50 pm »
I don't think that would work unfortunately, they tend to be asleep at different times & DS cries loudly when woken, which would disturb DD.

As predicted DS woke at 6, tired & grumpy. I managed to trick him into taking a nap after lunch though. His usual routine is to watch a DVD to relax.  I said I would close the curtains to make it "like a cinema" but said I had to go out the room to tidy the kitchen and would put DVD on when I came back.  I checked on him 20 mins later and he was sound asleep.
I gave him an hour as a catch up.  Possibly too much but that was my gut feeling of what he needed and I can adjust in future if it affects BT tonight.

How was your DD after the hr nap, Kelly?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline KatyBee

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2016, 15:42:15 pm »
Oh goodness Scottishmummy - this is hard enough with 1 child to deal with, I don't know how I'd cope with 2!! Fingers crossed that long nap doesn't cause you too much trouble tonight.

We are continuing with the NNDs as thanks to the 'reset' at the weekend, my son has managed to stay awake no probs on drive from nursery this week (a sure sign that he is finally getting enough ONS!) so am keeping to 6:30-7pm bedtime depending on his wake up time. He is a happier little boy in general and it really brings home to me how disruptive even the cat naps were for him. I am seriously hoping we can avoid them at all costs now.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2016, 19:32:56 pm »
I don't know how you're doing it with two either! Hats off to you Scottishmummy! I hope BT isn't too much trouble for you after it. We did ok actually. The day I gave her an hour nap (was it only yesterday?!), she'd woken at 5.30am and I had to wi/wo and shout from the bedroom to go back to sleep which I'm sure she didn't. Up at 6.30am and her mood was yucky from 10am. Was at the end of my tether and asked her what time she wanted her nap! She said 1pm, so I just rolled with it. 30mins upstairs faffing, I was going to get her up at the 45mins mark and she feel asleep at 1.30, woke her up at 2.30pm and she was like my cheery old bubba back, it was lovely. Kept BT to our old time of 7.30pm. Usual 30mins of faffing but no lots of callbacks like we've been having the past 6wks (yay). Asleep at 8pm ish I think then up at 6.45am this morning.. that's more sleep overall than she's had in ages!

Yay to more NND's KatyBee, it's starting to sound like you're coming out of the abyss?  :P xx

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2016, 20:41:11 pm »
The main trouble with having 2 is that I feel like all I do is think about routines and how to juggle them both. DD is doing a 4 month mix it all up & DS is going through this!

Sounds really positive KatyBee, hope the NNDs continue to work out.

Yay for better sleep, Kelly.  It's the constant guessing how long to give them if they do nap & when to do BT that's tricky. Sounds like you made a good call.

DS did well on the hour nap yesterday.  Tired enough but not OT at bedtime & slept 7-6.30ish.  He had a 15min nap at nursery and was in bed by 6.45. I suspect we have a wkend of no naps coming up though as weather is set to be awful and he seems to need to run around & get lots of fresh air to sleep well.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2016, 20:02:01 pm »
How's everyone doing?

We have gone for a set bedtime of 7pm and offering quiet time after lunch.  Most days DS doesn't sleep unless we happen to be in the car or if he's at nursery. He's doing 7pm-6.30am ONS though & seems to be mostly coping with that. Hoping we might be through the worst of the transition now.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2016, 08:28:43 am »
Wow, go you! That's amazing. We're managing to get a nap most days atm, I think that's because we've both been struck down with a stinking cold! 30 mins capped nap at 2.30-3 BT 7.30/8. Nights are short but better than then were. How's everyone else doing? xx