Author Topic: help with 8 month old who won't settle but doesnt like to be picked up  (Read 7629 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: help with 8 month old who won't settle but doesnt like to be picked up
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 10:50:07 am »
It does feel like everything happens all at once doesn't it? Ibuprofen for the teeth helps but also the A time might decrease if he's having multiple WU's at night. Hope he gets through it soon x

Offline tashgordon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 18:19:51 pm »
HI
I am starting to wonder if NW might be due to OT.
It has been really hard to put him down for BT which used to be the easiest.
He is having 1st nap capped at 45min adn only having an hour for 2nd nap.
I wonder if he needs a longer AT between 1st adn 2nd but I am a bit stuck due to school.
Therefore I wonder if he wakes 6.30am or later even if it is after waking before adn going back to sleep whether I should just go for it and try for 1 nap at 11.30 etc.
If he sleeps 11.30 to 1.30 do I then go for early BT or short later nap as he wont make 5 adn half hours AT.

Thanks
T

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 06:32:35 am »
Hi tash, could be OT especially if he's having 2 UT naps.

You could definitely try for one nap if you feel he can handle it? That's what I did, I got so fed up with second guessing I just took the plunge and went ct to one nap. There were days occasionally (about once every couple of weeks for a month or so) when I had to force a CN in the car at around 9am for 15mins when I knew she wouldn't make it to her usual nap time. I just picked a time for a nap, EBT if the nap was rubbish and just went for it. It took a little while to find the right time for the nap for her as I realised she started having OT early NW's that we're easy to settle and the nap was getting shorter, so I just moved it later until we found what worked. I'll post a link for you about set nap and BT for you which really helped me. Ideally you pick the time for the nap as you said 11.30, this sounds like a great starting point, (this can be up to 15mins earlier) and choose a BT (say 12hrs after normal wu) and let BT be up to 30mims earlier if the nap was short. Wdyt?

Set naps for toddlers: Why, How and When

If it helps what we did was wu 6.30 (sometimes earlier but that was the ideal), set nap at 11.30 to hopefully 1.30pm BT 6.30pm. Eventually this settled quite well until the nap got slightly shorter and we always had OT early NW's. I jumped it to 12pm (same BT) as DD always had long A times in the morning and I knew she could do it. We were there for around a month or so, until be found our final nap time of 12.30 - 2.30pm, BT 6.45-7pm. We actually held that until just recently, so kept it for nearly a year!! Xx
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:37:50 am by Kellyjs »

Offline tashgordon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 19:34:08 pm »
So today he woke at 5.10 but went back to sleep after a feed and a bit of wriggling until 6.45 So I went for it.
Because We had friends down he actually ended up going down at 11.50 and he actualluy seemed fine and went down reasonably easily.
He roused after an hour but settled easily for another hour and then when I fed him after his sleep was half asleep for a further 20min.
He then seemed fine untiil BT which I was aiming to be 6.45 but my partner was a bit slow getting him down so was actually 7pm.
He has just woken up now hopefully this will be brief!

I will keep you posted but it feels like 1 nap is realistic.

thanks for all your support......

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 14:49:26 pm »
Any time tash, that's brilliant though, well done. Don't be too disheartened if you have to force a CN like I used to in the car every now and again, it's just all part of the process xx

Offline tashgordon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 12:03:22 pm »
Hi

So we are having a few issues.

Yesterday whilst he was in childcare he stirred after an hour adn she got him back to sleep but he woke again adn she couldn't get him back to sleep thien. I suspect she didn't/could't do what I would have done as she also had other kids.

I then asked her to give him a short nap in afternoon as he only slept about 11.30-12.30, unfort the afternoon nap was 3.50 till 4.10 so was hard to get him down!!!

He is still waking up early 5.20 today adn 4am yesterday but I am feeding him adn then snuggling with him untill he goes back to sleep, took a while today as I think he needs a later wake up to manage 1 nap.

SO my questions are
1.Why is he waking during naps? UT? or just cos its a new rountine?
2. If he wakes at 5.20 adn is bright adn alert should I be trying so hard to get him back to sleep.

Today he slept again from about 6.15 to 7.05 adn then went down about 12.05 for nap and am waiting to see what happens next!!!!

Both evening he had some early night time wakings which were relatively easy to settle so I presume OT???

Will keep you posted.......................

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 13:35:02 pm »
Could be he's ready for another slight push in the A time perhaps? I'm thinking as he's stirring after an hour and *can be helped back off he could now be used to the new time. Be good to know how he does today.

Personally I would keep trying to get him back off to sleep until the preferred wu time, problem might be that he settles into a 5.30am wu and BT would get earlier too  :-\ x

Offline tashgordon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 18:20:53 pm »
Hi

Today
5.20 wake, feed
6.15ish back to sleep
7.05 wake up
12.05 nap, stired at 1.30 settled and then stired again at 1.55 adn i couldn't get him back to sleep (thought it was worth a try!)
7pm or just before asleep (much more easily)

Lets see what the night brings...........
Will keep trying to push for later WU.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2015, 18:28:26 pm »
I think anywhere from 6.30am will be great and then nap can be at 12? Wdyt? Doable?

That's great about the nap, shows we're getting there  :) x

Offline tashgordon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2015, 18:09:00 pm »
Hi

Today 5.00 wake had feed adn managed to resettle in my bed
7.00 wake and got up
12 nap but woke at 1pm resettled until 1.25 then i continued to try to resettle until 1.50 when i gave up as he was clearly not going back to sleep.
7pm BT I tried for 6.30 but he was messing around rather then feeding and took a while to settle.

If he has a shorter nap say 1.5hrs or even 1hr should i give a catnap in afternoon or try harder for an early BT?

Feeling frustrated about the naps not being longer but it seems unlikely he can manage >5yrs AT esp if he has had a bit of EW too doesn't it?

thanks
tash

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 07:19:25 am »
I think it depends on his temperament hun. You could try for a CN and if he refuses, then do an EBT? Could always just give it a go? Further down the transition I just opted for an early BT but not all families can do that with other commitments.

How do you feel he is atm? Do you think a little OT is creeping in? Any NW's? Xx

Offline tashgordon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 15:39:53 pm »
Hi

Today he only slept for 1hr(12-1), we were out so in pram but wouldn't go back to sleep(gave up at 1.45) so let him have another 45min after getting him back to sleep at 3.15.

I think he has been OT which is why I didnt cap his later nap. He is waking  at 8 and 9 or 8.30 and 9.30 pm being really upset but then not waking again until 4 or 5am. He has also seemed tired which is very unlike him.

In terms of temperament he is a bit textbook but also a bit spirited adn possibily also a bit touchy. He has never been great at sticking sleep together, took until at least 5 or 6 months to get 1hr in the cot.

I feel unsure about how to proceed. I dont feel he can cope with 1 nap unless it is close to 2hrs but with the school day if I get him back to sleepafter the EW until 7ish then it is tricky to fit in 2naps. I guess I could do a mixture for a while, which doesn't apply to me in terms of things being consistent but might be the only way???

Thanks
T

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 16:12:12 pm »
My DD would never pull a long nap out and about either hun. I would just chalk it up as a bad day and move on. I really do think you're on the right track. Perhaps a few more EBT might keep the OT at bay? Early on, it wasn't unheard of for mine to be put to bed at 5.30pm (she's always taken 30mims to get to sleep anyway). After pulling a good 12-hr night it was much, much easier to push the nap on. A good night sleep always resets them and us for that matter!!  ;)

Offline tashgordon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 20:08:43 pm »
It feels like things have really regressed in terms of GW. We now need to go in everytime he wakes up adn be there with a hand on him, when we had got to the stage of often not going in or just shushing from doorway and the same for BT and naps. Could that be due to OT?

If we do a Cn after a too short nap, what length would you suggest?

Will keep trying with the 1 nap for now adn see where it goes.

Thanks

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 05:43:42 am »
Probably a quick 15mi s so BT doesn't get too late. 

That could be due to OT or teething.. have you checked for molars coming through? X