Author Topic: 15 months old EW  (Read 4056 times)

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: December 10, 2014, 23:47:31 pm »
My LO has been waking up at 5 am for ages, 4 when teething. I have tried absolutely everything to move the whole routine, but with very little success. I try to keep her in bed until 5;30, but it is very difficult as she just cries and screams.
This is our routine:

5-5:30 WU
11 S          (only for 1-1,10 h, if tired 2x half hour)
5:30 BT

She never sleeps past 5-5;10am so It is impossible for me to shift it.
Apart from this she sleeps in her own bed and loves eating so isn't hungry.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:42:18 am »
Hi Hon,
Is your LO sleeping full 12h at night? Have you tried to shift her BT 15min every 2-3days until you manage to keep it around 6:30pm?
What was he WU before DTS?
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:54:46 am »
Chyba mozemy po polsku hahaha.

Can I move her BT even though she keeps waking up at 5? I am worried that she will be OT as very sensitive to changes.
She sleeps 11,5, but then this short nap (she has never been a good napper).
 We have recently (August) moved to Australia from UK, but WU was pretty much the same there, BT was 6 as she had 2 naps then.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:14:51 pm »
Cześć:)

I think that you may try to push slightly like 15min every couple of days. If she sleeps 11,5h at night she doesn't seem OT by this rather shortish nap. I would say it is fine, some LOs just sleep like that but preserve nice 12h nights. Sometimes 1:15 nap are OT naps, but if she is fine after WU from nap and sleeps full 11-12h nights I would say it is enough for her.

You may try to encourage her to take a longer nap by putting her for a nap slighty later. Her morning A is 5,5-6h, counting from 5/5:30, when her afternoon A always less than 5,5h, but some LOs need longer A in the morning to have a decent nap. But have in mind that if she sleeps longer during day, she will also probably need a longer day and later BT as her 24h sleep needs will not change.
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 13:00:27 pm »
3 weeks later and still no luck as LO is still teething, and she has been for past 2,5 monrhs. Is this possible? I am truly exhausted, her WU can be anything from 3:30 to 4:30 and no later then that. This was her day yesterday:

WU 4:30
S.   11
A.    12:30
Bt aimed for 5:30 but fallen asleep at 6:30

Today:
WU 4:15
S.    11
A.    11:20
Bt  same as day before

Sometimes out of the blue she will wake up at 6 and then what should I do, do I shift everything 1h?
LO has never had problems with falling asleep and now it takes her 45-1h to fall asleep, sometimes I have to AP as no other way. We have gone through 2 bottles of baby nurofen and 2 tubes of teething gel. What else can I do? Im pregnant and feeling extremely tired, and it looks like those molars will take another couple of weeks at least. Her nap has increased slightly to 1:20-1:30 as she is making up early WU but still 10 hours at night?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 13:03:13 pm by ewapeters »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 15:04:11 pm »
What do you do when LO wakes at 4;30? It MOTN so you cannot just start the day than.
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 17:44:26 pm »
She will cry and scream and will not resettle. I normally pick her up and feed her in my bed for anything from30 min to 45 min, amd by this time it is light outside. After this she sits up is ready to start her day so I take her downstairs. I know picking her up is not the right thing to do, but I never really know if EW is caused by teething.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 18:02:38 pm by ewapeters »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 18:17:52 pm »
Do what time do you feed? Was she always fed at night at this time or have you moved your morning feed to 4:30/5:00?
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 19:21:45 pm »
This is her morning feed. We have pretty much struggled with EW for past 7 months, she was waking up anytime from 5-6 and everytime I managed to get to 6 pm BT she statted waking up again at 5 am, but when she is teething she always wakes up very, very early (3:30-4:30). 5 o'clock now would be a dream come through. Feeding time gives me 30 min more snoozing time.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 08:56:33 am »
Hi Eva, sorry I haven't yet replied. It's just because it's Xmas here and million of things are going on.
Moreover I think we need to create some good plan of action here to go out this 4:00am NW (you cannot call it start of the day honey, it will make you a ghost soon if you will be getting up each day at that time).

I am thinking of big push here and riding through OT so to act as if you are changing countries and time zones (we have to switch the WU from 4 till 7am). You wrote you are afraid of OT but is your dd very prone to OT?
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 11:45:48 am »
I am not sure really. Don't you think I should wait it out until she is done with teething though?
How would I even try to approach it? Last night she woke up at 2:20, then 3:30 and after I fed her she managed to go back to sleep and slept until 6.  She screams and puts her hands in her mouth like she is in pain.  I only AP when she is teething of course.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 13:25:57 pm »
Honey - my opinion is that they are teething until 3yo, so I wouldnt wait but that's me:). It depends on you and how you feel what would you do and I would like you to decide. If you feel that it won't be ok to OT her to switch the routine as you feel she is in pain, that's fine. Can you clearly see when she is teething? I cannot with my DS - I never know if his NWs are because of teeth or something else:). And sometimes APOP and some habits which you developed during teething phase are having later effects.

My point would that you created this post as your dd is waking early. If you believe it is because of teeth, there is nothing we can do to help - it will pass soon. If you however think this is already a habit, let's create a strategy together how to approach it. Think it over and decide. Every decision is good - it's just have to be the one you believe in.

As a summary, even if this is teething or what kind of WU it is - at this age I wouldn't feed her at all until morning feed. It means that if she had BT feed at 6/7pm morning feed should 6 or even 6:30. Treat anything before as night waking and even if she is not asleep, she should be in her dark room knowing it's night time. It not only sends her the info that it's time to sleep but also even if she is not sleeping, she is resting in her crib. Would that make sense?
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 16:53:45 pm »
Ok, what is the strategy then? I am preparred to do it as it started affecting everyone in the haushold and I seem to get very tired lately. She can deal with being OT, it is something we cannot avoid during ST and we have done it before.

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: 15 months old EW
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 19:39:23 pm »
I hVe had similar problems too - same age, teething (and illness), always been an early riser but even earlier now.

One thing I don't do is feed anywhere than downstairs with light on in the morning. And when we go down I announce 'morning!' Loudly! Morning is now from 5.30 as 6 wasn't happening often enough. Before then I try to ignore him as long as poss unless upset. If v early eg pre 5 I do walk in walk out or cuddle and put him back and sit there calming him with my voice til he drops off. From 5 if he's upset I hold him in the dark in his room no feeds, maybe singing until morning. Then we do the big morning announcement.

He's improved this week mainly cos he's a lot better from ill.

Oh also I think he woke early from cold altho our house isn't terribly cold. He wears long sleeve vest and a babygro, 3,5 tog sleeping bag. When I go up I add 1-2 cellular blankets. EWs have reduced since doing this.
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:26:41 am »
LO is hardly able to just stay in bed, she cries and screams pretty much as soon as she wakes up. Is this what I should be doing? Just keeping her in her room no matter what until 5:30 even if she wakes up at 4?