Author Topic: 15 months old EW  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 10:34:44 am »
Ewa, maybe give yourself couple of days so we could have a plan and you will start. Would it be ok?

In general sleep training and habit changing is hard sweetie especially at this age. There will be a lot of crying involved, it's inevitable but that's why it's so important that if you start you are commited. If you let her cry for 45min let say (of course being with her in the room) and then you just give up and give her what she wants, it means that she gets the message "if I cry long enough, I will get what I want".

As it's New Year today, let's come with a plan in coming days how to tackle it and we start.
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 11:26:29 am »
Ok let's do that. We have done ST few times so far as it tends to go wonky every 3 months so crying does not put me of it. Usually it takes her 3 nights and she is fine after that. Plan is needed though. Happy New Year :)

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 09:32:25 am »
We still haven't got a plan and LO is struggling with BT now. She slept ok last  2 nights, woke up at 5, but managed to stay in bed until 5:30. Naps as usual at 11-12, and BT at 5:30, but... She does not want to sleep and screams, tonight until 18:30.  I am worried that this might cause EW as will be OT.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 17:07:28 pm »
Ok Honey, let's start to create a plan.

Can you tell me what is your bigger problem right now? We will start from that. So is it waking at 4:00am or around after 10,5h of sleep or rather wrongly set day of 5-5? Or maybe she is fighting BT? When she went to sleep at 6:30 what was her night?  Did she woke at 5:00, did she had any NW?

Can you also tell me if she is a independent sleeper and if she cannot resettle at  night, what do you do? Is she able of resettling by her own at all? Do you use a soother?
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 19:15:54 pm »
She is an independent sleeper, does not use dummy and can resettle on her own. Two nights ago went to bed and woke up at 5 am. Because it took her 1 h to fall asleep, this resulted in 3 NW (she was able to resettle, once after I gave her teething gel) and 4:30 WU. I give her baby nurofen around 12 am. I think the biggest problem is eatly WU. I put delay in BT down to developmental changes and her being excited and wanting yo play and this I can try to address myself.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 19:31:02 pm »
Is this 5am waking after 11-12h of sleep or rather 10am?
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 23:04:02 pm »
5 o,clock WU after 5:30 BT. 1H nap 11-12. She usually sleeps well if she manages to fall asleep at 5:30 and sleeps for 11-12 h. As soon as BT is delayed she NW and EWU. I think the cause of late BT is that she gets overstimulated easily and if we go somewhere in the afternoon and come back at 4:30 she will struggle with BT. Unfortunately it is very hot here at the moment (30-40 degrees) so we can only go out around 3pm which gives us very limited time to do things, she hates being at home all day and gets bored and trashes the house.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:28 am »
Ok Ewa, so I would say she is having nice routine as long night sleep indicates that and nap which is short but seems to be ok for her.

I would consider two solutions:
- push her nap to be later than now; it's 5,5h now so I think you may try to push her to 11:30 or so; if she manages to do a longer nap, try for later BT but do not push too much; let's say if she does a 1,5h from 11:30 till 1pm I would put her down at 6:30 not later (hoping for slighly shorter night as she had a longer nap but maybe we will achieve 6am wakeup here); if it works, wake couple of days and push than nap to 12:00 etc
- do it as with DLS so pushing BT/WU 15min every couple of days. Here is link:
How to Adjust to Daylight Savings

I would decide to make a non-negotiable time for start of the day, so let's say her routine tody i 5:30-5am and 5am is not negotiable. If you put her down 15min later in the evening, move it to 5:15 and treat everything before as NW even if she is not asleep.

Please let me think what you think & if you would like to make some changes in the plan, and let's get started!:)
~Marta

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 07:10:27 am »
Thanks, I will try to push her nap a bit, she gets very tired though and is pretty much ready to sleep after 5 h A so will have to work on distracting her. As per nap I kind of know that she will sleep for 1 h probably only, but still I will push that BT to later time. Let's not change it for now and see what happens.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:51 am »
Some kiddos work much better on longer A in the morning. Let's say 6h+1,5,2h nap+5h till BT and they need that long morning A to have a good nap. Mine is going through OT better in the morning, than compensate tiredness with longer nap and prefer shorter A till BT.
~Marta

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 09:33:51 am »
Hi Eva,

Oh my goodness I have been here Hun, with 4 am to 5 am WU's and guess what DS was teething molars at the time. I was also going with EBT which is responded too and he was getting 11 to 11.5 hours night sleep, so in the end he was just waking when well enough rested, which I think is what has happened here too. If she is waking at 4 and is no longer tired then nothing will get her back to sleep.

I am torn between saying wait this out because of the teething or not. For us things didn't improve until the teeth cut, but in your case I think it might be worth giving it a go and see what happens. So I'm wondering about wake to sleep  ??? have you tried it yet  ???

I'll be darned if I can find the link  ::) >:( I'll keep looking, then post it, sorry  :-[

It would need to be used in conjunction with a late night, could be worth a try  :-\

Here's some EW info:

Early Morning Wakings

Lots of (HUGS)

ETA: Here it is

How to address habitual wakings (w2s and other methods)

Vicki.x.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:14:09 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 10:32:03 am »
Hi Vicki, My phone just died on me after I wrote a long reply. Wouldn't this annoy you :(
Her first molar cut through monrhs ago and the other three are still not fully showing and they are massive. Her WU times are unpredicable so with BT at 5:30 I can only just manage to prevent OT. Her BT is tricky as well as she is vety excitable and needs long wind down routine, we need to be home 4 at the latest otherwise she can struggle with BT which then affects the whole night. I'll go with Martii's suggestion and we will see, but if you have any other advise it will be very very welcome.
I almost forgot, with W2S the difficulty is that she sleeps very lightly in the morning (hence white noise machine as birds outside can be a problem) so It happened on few occasions that she just fully woke up, obviously very angry so gave up on that.
Ewa  xxx
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:45:44 am by ewapeters »

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 10:57:29 am »
Oh yes, that has happened to me many times with computer crashing!!!!  :-X

You are in wonderful hands Hun and have been given great advise, Marti just asked for some extra eyes in case there is anything else to add  :-\.

That is very annoying that you can't try W2S, darn those chirpy birds!  ::)

It is definitely worth trying a long am A time to see it it over rides the pm, it does work well for lots of LO's.

I wish you lots of luck, and remember "This too shall pass!" repeat repeat repeat  ;) sigh.x.

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 10:45:30 am »
LO woke up at 6 this morning and napped from 12-13:10. BT was supposed to be at 6:30 but she did not want to sleep and spent 1 h screaming, I had migrene attack and had to AP (BF) her. What is wrong with this BT now?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 10:55:25 am »
Maybe she is UT/OT? Has she ever refused BT when UT or OT? Mine usually will wake earlier in the morning rather than refuse BT. From 13:10 till 18:30 it is 5:20, in the morning she had 6h of A so quite much for a 15mo, but if she is LSN I guess it's possible. When she went to 1 nap honey?
~Marta