Author Topic: 3 week old on EASY  (Read 980 times)

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:10:36 am »
Hi everyone, we had our DS3 three weeks ago, and similar to DS2, we started a 3 hour EASY after the first week.

He is roughly doing 2.75 - 3 hour feeds during the day, albeit that for the majority of naps I have to shh pat him. But generally he is asleep within 15/20 mins and sleeps for 1.5-2 hours, I sometimes have to waken him so I know he can nap well. The night time is a different scenario - firstly he takes a while to settle, he will go over for 15 mins and then cry until I go back in. Is this him crying out for good, as in the 2nd cluster feed? He only took 1.5 oz for the second cluster feed. I just don't know if the two cluster feeds are working, or am I better off trying to get a good feed in him just before bedtime and see if he goes down better? The other thing is that he is wakening every 2.25-2.5 hours hungry, and only taking 2 oz before falling asleep, I then burp him and lie him down but nearly every night he has wind from one of the feeds and he ends up being up for 1.75-2 hours, he is so overtired by that stage that I have to shh pat him back to sleep.

I know he is very young, I am just wondering am I expecting too much for a 3 week old? I read that once he is on EASY for a few weeks, we should be getting a good 4-5 hours stretch at night so I would really appreciate some advice on what I am doing wrong and how I can tweak it? Here is our EASY from yesterday - I recently switched from breast feeding to formula bottle feeding primarily to fit in with managing our two other boys, and he has adapted well.

E 7 - 3 oz
A 730
S 840 - in room from 750, went over but then woke up a few times before falling asleep af 840
E 950 - 3oz
A 1020
S 1050 - woke early at 1145
A 1145
E 1220 - 3 oz
A 1230
S 1235
E 240 - 4 oz
A 310
S 325
E 525 - 4 oz
A 6 - bath
S 635 - shh pat
E 7 - 1.5 oz
S 7.10
E 9.45, 12.15, 2.30 (up for 1.5 hours - wind), 6.15

We have had a good morning, he fell asleep after a few mins of shh pat.

Given that the forum has been so useful for us with DS1 and DS2, I am really hopefully that you can help me out? Thanks in advance,

Murphy76

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 3 week old on EASY
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 21:27:09 pm »
Hi, I'm sorry you've not yet received a reply.  Congratulations on the birth of Ds3 :)

Honestly. I think you're doing really well :). Many people would kill for a routine and naps like that at this age!  I certainly don't think you're doing anything wrong.  Many babies are extremely unsettled in the evenings at this age despite seemingly perfect day times, a combination of accumulated tiredness, overstimulation and just general newborn fussiness.  If the cluster feeds aren't working for you I would just feed at bedtime and see what happens after that. 

Does he show any signs/symptoms of reflux other than the wanting to feed small volumes frequently overnight?