Author Topic: Water for 9 month old?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Nickie18

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Water for 9 month old?
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:07:23 am »
Our LO is now 9 months old and we are on 4 bottles a day. Typically she is on a 4 hour A time and naps twice for about 1-1.5 hours. She is now starting to drink less and less for one of her mid day bottles and we are thinking of dropping one at this point. However, we want to be sure she still gets enough liquids. we have started giving her some water in a sippy cup with her three solid meals. She takes maybe 2 ounces at most at this point. Is that ok? this is our easy most days

6:30am wake
7am first bottle
8:30am breakfast with water
10:30am nap
12pm wake and bottle
1:30pm lunch with water
3:30pm bottle
4pm nap
5pm wake her
5:30pm dinner with water
6:30pm bottle
7pm bed

Thinking of trying to drop the 12pm bottle and just do lunch earlier and then keep bottle before her second nap- ???

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Water for 9 month old?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:28:18 am »
I say kill 2 birds with one stone: give her a small cup - like a plastic shot glass, maybe - with water in it and let her practice with it. Better yet, get a bunch of them wherever in your grocery they sell mixers, fill maybe half a dozen of them with water, and let your kid have at them at mealtimes....one....at....a....time.

We didn't do this with Josie, who still (at 13YO) still has issues with water bottles, but Natalie, who got them early on, mastered lidless cups before 1YO.

http://www.dollartree.com/Plastic-Shot-Glasses-24-ct-Packs/p311203/index.pro

Offline Nickie18

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:17:14 am »
good idea!
But is it ok to give water at every meal at 9 months old? And then drop down to three bottles a day??

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:13:26 am »
Yes it is.  The other 3 bottles might increase a bit when you drop the one bottle.  Offering water at every solids meal and any snack times is advised.
You could also consider introducing a small snack in place of the bottle, so the times and routine stays the same but instead of milk she is offered a small piece of fruit or a small pancake or cracker, with a drink of water, and then you can keep lunch the same a little later.  Switching the mid morning and mid afternoon milk feeds to snacks worked well for us, I just found it easy to know when to have those snacks.
Mine never really took more than a few sips of water but there's also quite a lot of water in fruits and some other solid foods.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:41 am »
A 9MO can spill a LOT of water trying to learn how to drink - unless you're giving it in a non-spillable form, she's not going to get THAT much. LOL