Author Topic: Just started, tiny amounts but now pooing all day and night!  (Read 8118 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Just started, tiny amounts but now pooing all day and night!
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:44:38 am »
Hi, this is strange for me since when DS started solids he got constipated really quickly and so he had to have mostly laxative foods from the start. DD however has had more frequent BMs from the start, has been exclusively bf but I have a little oversupply so have had to block feed to overcome green watery poo, still doing that. Just before weaning, she had a couple of episodes of not pooing for 2 days and being uncomfortable, so I wasn't keen to introduce rice cereal etc right at the start, going for pear instead. So she's had pear, sweet potato and apple so far, tiny amounts as that's all she'll take, but is now pooing several times a day and at night again :( is this normal when starting solids? Does this mean she'll just have to have lots of apple, carrot, banana and rice?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Just started, tiny amounts but now pooing all day and night!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:52:35 am »
Well, I'd say it sounds normal for a LO to have changes in their poos when solids are introduced, I mean it will take a bit of time for her body to get used to it. But  do you think there is something else going on?
If you're concerned in any way or just not sure of the foods or the reactions I would scale right back (I know you only gave a little), perhaps go a few days without the solids to see if she can get back to normal, then just offer solids once per day and see what effect this has.  If there is something in question it's easier to experiment with timing and types of food now before she has a wider variety of foods and is eating bigger meals and more frequently. There's no hurry so just take it one step at a time.

Just because her guts seem to be reacting in this way now, it really doesn't mean that they will continue to react like this for ever.
(is green watery poo normal for oversupply then? Sorry I am not familiar. Have you had help with this or need more advice??)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:31 am »
Thanks! Have only been offering breakfast not long after first bf as I don't think she needs much anyway. Was hoping to get her to the point where she knows what to do with the spoon before we go away next week (not self feeding, just opening her mouth!), she's nowhere near a teaspoon yet, maybe a quarter, max! Yes, have had advice re block feeding both here and an LC IRL.

So, reading between the lines you reckon that these frequent BMs are not normal for starting solids and I should try a few days without for that reason? There's a possibility of teething as she's been unsettled and has sometimes calmed with teething gel, but although I ca see where the first two will break through, her gums aren't swollen and she's not drooling, might she just be good at swallowing it?

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 18:43:10 pm »
So, reading between the lines you reckon that these frequent BMs are not normal for starting solids
Well, whilst a change in BMs would be expected it does seem that there is something else going on. If you are only giving such a tiny amount and she is pooing that frequently I'd say it's either the teething or some possible intolerance. Has she shown signs of any intolerance whilst BF? have you needed to limit your diet at all?

I've read that the bad nappies when teething is a myth but the number of threads I've seen and number of people IRL who experience it when their LO is teething seems to offer evidence to out-weigh the myth (for me anyway).

As she's only just turned 6 months I don't see harm in stepping back for now and starting again in a week or two - perhaps after the holidays? Not all LOs take to solids immediately at 6 months, it's quite an individual thing, she might be more interested and respond overall more positively in a couple of weeks.

Do come back with an update though :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 19:31:21 pm »
Yeah maybe she's not really ready, I guess we've had pressure from parents who think that introducing solids after 4mo is delaying them already! Started 6mo after her due date as I'd hoped she'd then be comfortable with it before we go away, but she doesn't really seem to need it, except that she does seem to want more after her 2nd bf so I've just been topping up with another bf, thought I'd give her lunch then but somehow prefer the idea of introducing new foods in the morning. She's not yet sitting independently and hasn't doubled her birth weight, in fact her weight gain was tailing off a bit but I'd have thought that was a sign that she needs more milk rather than solids? With the green poo she's had stool samples tested for intolerances, all negative. I haven't tried changing my diet but tbh it's fairly consistent and her stools have been good with my usual diet, but other times green and/or mucousy. We put it down to oversupply as they seem better when she's feeding better, and block feeding definitely helps. She does seem to have had a growth spurt (since we last had her weighed) so maybe it's just my supply having to adjust back to normal again, might check that out on the bf board... Oh it seems like a backwards step to put a hold on solids for now, especially as we're staying with family for a couple of weeks and I know they wouldn't approve, but I know I shouldn't base our decision on that!

Maybe impossible to answer, but if we were to pause on solids, how long do you reckon it should take for things to go back to normal, if it really is related to solids? I mean if her BMs show no change after 3 days, say, would you suspect it's unrelated to solids, or do you think we'd need to wait longer than that? Thanks!

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 22:09:39 pm »
I'd hoped she'd then be comfortable with it before we go away, but she doesn't really seem to need it,
From the sounds of it she doesn't need or want it. You mentioned less than a teaspoon of food and not really opening her mouth for it. If she needed/wanted solids she'd be showing more signs of willingness or eagerness IMO (mine screamed at me every time he saw food for an entire month before I finally gave in at 5.5 months as he had just gained the strength to sit, when offered food he grabbed and shoved it straight in his mouth, sure signs of readiness!).
her weight gain was tailing off a bit but I'd have thought that was a sign that she needs more milk rather than solids?
She'll get more calories from milk yes, milk is always the focus at this age anyway but if she has a small appetite then I'd say even more so the milk than the solids.
especially as we're staying with family for a couple of weeks and I know they wouldn't approve, but I know I shouldn't base our decision on that!
Oh hugs. It's very hard when there is pressure from others and you feel they are criticizing your parenting choices.  A few things you might consider
1. practise now, out loud, what you will give as your stock response when asked/nagged about solids food introduction, eg "Oh yes I am so excited about starting solids with her, it's going to be so much fun finding out what her favourites are! Thing is she's just not ready yet, I did try her with a few bits but she wasn't interested" or "I'm really excited, etc, the most recent advice is the wait until they can sit up unsupported, she's not far off so I'm sure we'll be able to start soon" or whatever you feel comfortable with yk? I would try to throw in some sort of agreement with their enthusiasm so you aren't giving a direct contradiction on their parenting and your parenting. The thing is no parent likes to be criticized and many of the newer guides do tend to conflict with what previous generations have done (were told to do, did because the guides said to and they wanted to be the best parents), older generations don't want to be told they did it 'wrong' yk?  I tend to find difficult subjects much easier to deal with if I script and practise the words many times before hand so I'm not caught on the hop without a response.
2. If you feel comfortable and confident you might offer her a piece of finger food. Prob on your knee, sat right up straight and supported. Your family may be happy to see her offered some food but she's unlikely to actually eat any based on her lack of interest.
3. Just hold off a few days or a week and reintroduce when you are with your family. They'll see she only takes a little and isn't all that interested so this may help you, but also they will love to see her having some first tastes too.

if we were to pause on solids, how long do you reckon it should take for things to go back to normal, if it really is related to solids? I mean if her BMs show no change after 3 days, say, would you suspect it's unrelated to solids, or do you think we'd need to wait longer than that?
If there was no change in 3 days I'd prob wait longer personally. Depending what her poos are like and how long it continues she might need checking over with a health professional - I know you are the best judge of that and you've clearly been investigating her BMs for some time etc.

One thing I've just thought of - is there any possibility she is constipated and the poo she is passing is getting around the blockage, so more frequent but smaller, looser poos, does she have diarrhoea just now with these frequent poos??
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 22:12:14 pm by creations »

Offline trimbler

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:42:28 am »
Wow thanks very much for that considered and detailed reply!

Pretty sure she's not constipated, tummy seems normal and her stools are normal for her, just more frequent than they were a couple of weeks ago, more like she was a couple of months ago. Night time poos are annoying!

Not confident enough for finger food just yet I'm afraid! Just the thought of choking scares me...

Really can't decide whether to keep going or not, the last couple of days she's been grabbing the food end of the spoon and shoving it in, still doesn't actually eat much but the curiosity is there, and I'm not so fussed over whether she needs it (pretty sure she doesn't) but happy for her to start learning about it. But don't want to damage her intestines, if that's what these tiny amounts are doing?? Not too fussed about calories as I can't imagine she's taking enough to interfere with milk intake, given the timing of it? The last weighing was before we started solids and actually just before a feed, since the clinic was quiet - I usually have her weighed after a long feed whilst waiting! And she's definitely growing out of her clothes, so not worried atm.

She's properly opening her mouth now but doesn't seem to understand about closing it again to get the food off, she does have an upper lip tie but that shouldn't be an issue should it?

Oops must go wake her now to feed before preschool collection... Thanks again and also for advice on handling well meaning advice from family!

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:22:08 am »
she does have an upper lip tie but that shouldn't be an issue should it?
Sorry I don't know. I've flagged this up with the other mods so hopefully you'll have some more response soon.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 14:28:41 pm »
Ok thanks :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 19:35:46 pm »
Sorry another question, not sure where it belongs though! I've pumped and saved some 'fore milk' in 1oz portions for mixing with cereal, when the time comes, since I was pumping it off for a time anyway due to my oversupply issues. Now wondering whether I should just ditch that and instead use milk pumped at the end of a feed, as I'm concerned that the fore milk might just result in more of that green frequent poo? I had none of this at all with DS!

Offline creations

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 07:53:56 am »
I'll see if anyone can help with that too :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 08:45:02 am »
I'd use the frozen milk and if I did see any green poo then I'd stop. It seems like such a small quantity that I don't see  it making a big difference if she is getting her usual milk the rest of the day. And beside, milk is really not that clear cut in that it is just watery foremilk at the start of the feed and fatty hindmilk at the end. It will also depend on how empty or full your breasts were when you pumped among other things. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:33:48 am »
Thanks Ali, problem is we have green poo fairly regularly anyway so would be hard to tell if the frozen milk was the culprit. It was from when I was block feeding (still am) so hadn't used that breast for about 9h and I pumped 2oz about 2h before the dream feed as I wanted to take the edge off the letdown and try to increase the fat content of the dream feed as I was finding, among other things that she kept leaking her night time nappies as she had too much wee! That was a temporary measure until we bought the next size up, which can contain the night time wee but evidently not the new night time poo :( maybe I should try this pumping again to see if it helps with the night time poo, but travelling from Monday and really didn't want to have to pack the pump, besides it would be tricky to find somewhere private to pump whilst away. Then again I don't want to get into a pumping habit as this wouldn't be so great for oversupply, right??

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 20:31:44 pm »
No pumping would only increase supply further.

Did you try cutting out the solids for a bit?

Offline trimbler

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 20:53:12 pm »
Yes we're giving them a break now and waiting to see if the poos return to more normal, however she's coming down with a cold now so that might not happen anyway until she's better!

So what I haven't mentioned here which may or may not be relevant is that she's on Ranitidine for silent reflux, which is usually under control but she had a flare up yesterday and I now wonder whether any of her unsettledness last week was reflux related. Have joined a couple of threads on the reflux board but no comments on this as yet so maybe either of you could offer some thoughts on this, particularly when you would expect reflux symptoms to worsen after an offending solid food? She's been having her tiny 'breakfast' around 8am and most of her unsettledness has been between 3-7pm, which in my mind would be too late for reflux symptoms related to breakfast? But could be gut irritation from breakfast? Yesterday it was definitely reflux but no breakfast so that can't have been to blame!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 20:57:41 pm »
Does her ranitidine dose need adjusting possibly? I believe that is based on weight so needs adjusting as she grows.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 19:58:27 pm »
Well I've put it up a little despite her not having gained much weight from when we set the previous dose. However the GP explained the dosage and said it was fine for me to take her up to the maximum if I felt she needed it, and we're not at that yet. I figure she might have just been having a flare up for a variety of possible reasons, she now has a horrible cough/cold and very little appetite :( so definitely no plans to fiddle around with solids until she's taking her milk well again! Stools now very green and frequent but she's hardly taking anything at a feed, I've been block feeding but offering much more regularly to try and keep her fluids up and give her some energy to fight this off, but even so it appears she's getting very little hindmilk at the moment.

Offline creations

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 08:45:36 am »
Sorry to hear DD is not well. Healthy vibes x

Offline trimbler

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 20:26:36 pm »
Thanks, well we've had her completely off solids for a week whilst she got over the worst of her cough/cold, got her appetite back and stools returned to normal (for her). So offered a little apple purée this morning, again just took a tiny amount but then she has to relearn what to do. No funny BMs yet, she did have a bad pm nap but her routine has been thrown off anyway with travelling so that could have been a routine issue, also lots of screaming at BT but again that could have been OT from earlier in the day... Think she was ok with apple previously so hoping to move onto pear+rice in a couple of days, since pear was fine before, just resulted in more frequent stools but maybe in combination with the rice it should be ok?

I'm just struggling to know what's normal when starting solids, given that DD's BMs have been so different from her brother's from the start. I know that solids upset him to start with but we just pushed through giving small amounts and avoiding problem foods (anything constipative plus broccoli and cauliflower for him) but his BMs we're just as I'd expected, no mucous etc. so I'm really not sure what sort of stool patterns to look out for which would mean I should stop solids again or stop a particular food? When using a three day rule, would you expect problem foods to show up on day 1 or not until later, and how soon after giving them would you expect to see issues? As you know there are always so many variables eg possible teething, illness, travelling, routine changes etc, I don't want to keep stopping solids when there could be other reasons for her unsettledness. Then of course there's the feeling in the background that at 6.5mo she really ought to be eating something!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 20:35:55 pm »
Check out this FAQ with info on how poops change The scoop on poop!

Offline creations

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 07:56:40 am »
Then of course there's the feeling in the background that at 6.5mo she really ought to be eating something!
It's well within the realms of normal for a LO not to take much at all in the way of solids at this age.  Whilst for some it is a gradual increase in solids for others there can appear to be little or no interest for several months and then suddenly around 9 months they find their taste for solids and go for it in a big way.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 21:15:00 pm »
Thanks, well she had tasters of apple for two days, seemed fine so moved onto pear + rice and got mucous poo later that day - so was that the apple or the pear/rice?! Or her starting yet another virus, for which she started showing symptoms the following day? Due to this virus (which is horrible, I'm really struggling with it now!) we stopped solids again and just considering trying again tomorrow, but I find it so hard to know what the culprit foods are and how long to continue with a food or give it a break until stools go back to normal again, especially with all these illnesses muddying the waters! Think I'll try squash which is completely new for her, she hasn't had a mucous poo recently so if she gets one during the three days of squash then what do I do - stop again until poos go back to normal?? This could demand a lot of patience...

Offline creations

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 22:57:25 pm »
Let us know how you get on.  If you continue to have difficulties maybe I can move you over (or begin a thread) on the food allergies board for some fresh and more more experienced eyes? Sorry I am not much help with poop or allergies.
It may be of no consequence but my DS couldn't take pear or rice, he has no known allergies but in the early days ripe raw pear gave him a terrible reflux flare (I discovered he could take lightly steamed or baked pear better) and he generally refused rice (BLW he had full control over what he took) which I think he was wise to do as the odd occasion he did try some (once baby rice, twice rice cake, once rice pudding, once regular long grain rice) he vomited every time.  He has a massive variety of foods he likes but to this day will not eat rice, it's been 3.5 years since it made him vom but he is repulsed by it.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 10:59:16 am »
Just a little update, DD is better now and has been back on solids for a week, just offering at breakfast and still only having tastes rather than mouthfuls. Definitely no adverse effects to squash or parsnip, both new foods, currently trying banana then will revisit those foods tried previously, see if we get that mucous poo again... My milk supply has dropped though, since we've both had flu and I've had my period! So nursing and stool patterns have changed anyway. I just wanted to check, you wouldn't be too concerned about negligible solids intake yet, would you? Interesting to hear about your DS's pear and rice experiences, creations. I haven't actually tried raw fruits yet until this banana.

Offline creations

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 12:42:47 pm »
I wouldn't be concerned about zero solids intake at this age.
Some LOs still have their tongue thrust reflex, some are just not into solids until they are a a few months older.  If your LO was approaching 9 or 10 months and not taking a few mouth fulls at at least one meal I'd probably start to look a bit more closely but as with anything if you are concerned you should speak to a health professional.

I really don't think there is any worry at all at this age.

you might want to try a different texture. So for instance really well watered (or milked) down until very runny, or the opposite, a soft steamed baton/finger of parsnip or squash as finger food. She might actually prefer her food to have a different consistency. If not though, still no worry :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 19:38:56 pm »
Ok thanks that's reassuring!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 20:47:57 pm »
Ok so she's actually opened her mouth for food a couple of days :) not today, but progress, anyway!

Another question, I'm thinking of delaying dairy introduction a little, I did yoghurt with DS at 7mo and then gave him infant porridge which contained oats and milk products. I now realise I can't find anything preprepared which has just oats (not wheat) and doesn't contain milk products, so considering making my own oat based cereal but I'm not very good at that sort of thing and don't want to do anything too time consuming in the mornings! We do have this oatbran stuff, do you think that would be ok as an introduction to oats, made up with my milk in the microwave? Or would it be better to grind whole oats myself? W do have a coffee bean grinder but I'm not confident in being able to remove the last traces of coffee beans and don't want her to get coffee inadvertently!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 21:38:03 pm »
What about Ready Brek? That is just milled oats.

I don't know but I would worry that oatbran would have too much fibre which is not good for little tums. Babies shouldn't have high fibre "brown" versions of grains (bread, rice, pasta etc.) because it can fill them up and stop them absorbing the nutrients from other foods.

Offline creations

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 09:45:10 am »
I agree about avoiding whole grain.

I would have thought Ready Brek too Ali, although now not 100% sure as there is an allergen note on the box - is that because the guidance is to make with milk or because there is a chance there is other milk based products made in the same factory  :-\
http://www.weetabix.co.uk/brands/readybrek/original
I wonder if other mums have used Ready Brek for milk allergy LOs?

Offline trimbler

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 10:07:23 am »
That sounds like a good idea, I'd always assumed it contained added salt/sugar so hadn't considered it before. So you reckon it's fine for babies? I know you have to be careful with added vitamins etc designed for adults or older children in case it contains too much of  a particular vitamin/mineral for infants, but you reckon Ready Brek would be ok? I'm not worried about possible milk traces as I don't think she has an allergy, just that she seems to have had a sensitive gut previously so I want to hold back on introducing dairy properly but still want her to have oats. Her stools have been much better since we both had flu, as I've now been having low supply issues as opposed to oversupply issues! So I really doubt there's any problem with me having dairy.

Offline creations

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:57 am »
I don't think there's any problem with the added vits.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 10:31:11 am »
Ok thanks :)

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 11:29:38 am »
I've never heard of being careful about too many vitamins.  Apart from a *very* large excess of vitamin A it is not harmful for babies to consume too much of a particular vitamin as any extra will just come out in their urine. 
http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-sears-vitamin-overdose

I would be happy to use ready break. I couldn't see any reference to milk and it says it is 100% oats plus vitamins so maybe it is just that milk products are handled in the same factory.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 14:25:46 pm »
Ah yes must have been retinol I was thinking of! Thanks for the links :)

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 14:56:30 pm »
Btw it is just cross contamination risk http://www.weetabix.co.uk/downloads/Milk%20Lactose.pdf

Offline trimbler

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 19:48:34 pm »
Thanks will buy some next weekend... :)

Offline trimbler

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 21:29:33 pm »
Hi again, well I did buy Ready Brek and she loves it :) She had it three days in a row at breakfast, mixed with apple/banana and made up with breastmilk, and napped poorly the first two days, the third I'd made it too stiff so she only had a taste and she slept loads better. She only really cries like that when in some sort of discomfort, and the first day she had a long hard crying episode after bedtime too, which is very rare, I just could not comfort her, could only hold her until she had worn herself out enough to go back to sleep. No poo that day, which is also unusual. Left it for a few days, during which time she slept like a champ, tried again this morning and unsettled naps again with no poo. Not as bad as when I first introduced it, but still, it doesn't feel like a coincidence?

I can't help wondering if it's just that her gut is a bit immature and will get better with time? When I first started her on solids at 6mo she only had the tiniest tastes, not even opening her mouth properly, but she was really unsettled and I thought in discomfort. But one month later she was absolutely fine with the same foods. I never thought oats would be a problem but maybe I should just keep trying from time to time? Could also be just that she really did like it and so ate more than she often does, although she's eaten just as much on other days with no problems.

Offline creations

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 18:35:30 pm »
Hmm, if you suspect the oats affecting her poo/sleep/discomfort I'd hold off for a bit and try again at a later date and see if she has the same reaction again after a decent break.  I'd check ingredients on any foods you give for the next couple of weeks to ensure everything is oat free for a time, then try again.
It is possible to have an oats intolerance, and I think it's also possible to be intolerant to certain types of oats and not others (depending on the gluten level)
Quote (selected)
6) You can be allergic to any foodstuff

TRUE: This is true in theory, but in fact just a handful of foods are to blame for 90% of allergic reactions to food in the UK. They are: celery, cereals containing gluten (including wheat, rye, barley and oats), crustaceans (including crabs and prawns), eggs, fish, lupin, milk, molluscs (such as mussels and oysters), mustard, nuts (including brazil nuts, hazelnuts, almonds and walnuts), peanuts (groundnuts or monkey nuts), sesame seeds, soya, sulphur dioxide or sulphites.
from this NHS site:
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Documents/Food%20allergy%20and%20intolerance%20myth%20buster.htm

Offline trimbler

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 21:37:34 pm »
Ok thanks, sorry to be dim but how long is a decent break? I doubt she has an actual allergy, since she seemed to be affected by everything when I first started her on solids but is now fine with the same foods. So hoping it will be similar with oats? So far she's only had pear, apple, banana, sweet potato, squash, parsnip, baby rice and chicken, plus of course the Ready Brek. I've been wondering if it's possible that the persistent green stools with mucous which she had for her first few months mean that her gut has just needed a little longer to heal and so she may not be ready for certain foods until a bit later?? The GP seemed to think she'd be fine with anything from 6mo but I haven't seen her since starting solids. I've been holding off dairy for a little longer as you know and was planning to introduce wheat once oats had been successfully introduced - do you think I should hold off introducing wheat for now too? Her stools have been pretty much fine from about 4mo I think, once the tongue tie, oversupply and silent reflux had been addressed. She did have stool tests for intolerances which came back negative, I know there's still a chance of false negatives but as I said the stools eventually became normal and I hadn't changed my diet.

She does also get dry skin/rashes but these have been explainable by heat/cold or exposure to different fabrics/detergents, and cleared up eventually with emollient. DS also had sensitive skin like this as a baby but grew out of it.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline creations

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 08:05:01 am »
You left her for a few days without the oats before so I would go a full week or 2 wks with no oats, and yes I'd avoid wheat and other grains too (seems go with rice so perhaps continue that), then when you try the oats again make sure she is only having other foods you know she is fine with, those you have listed which have not caused any reaction at all.
An allergy is different to an intolerance. Introducing again in 2 wks may show no negative symptoms. But if she is unsettled and screaming again, with tummy pain, gas, or no poo etc I think that would be a pretty good indication to hold for on oats for the time being and try again in a few months.

If an oats trial in 2 wks has a negative effect I would hold off on grains another 1-2 wks to get her back on track before trialing another grain. It isn't necessarily a reaction to all grains.

Sorry I don't know enough about stool tests for intolerance etc to comment. I do know I have had repeated stool tests for something which repeatedly came back negative when later it was proven (from gastroscopy/endoscopy and biopsies) that I had HP which 'should' have have shown in a sample.  Same has happened to others I know IRL...as a result I am kind of cautious of test results.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 10:07:11 am »
Ok thanks that's really helpful, will do just that :) Somehow it was always obvious to me with DS, he just had issues with constipation which were fairly easily rectified, and was gassy with broccoli and cauliflower to start with, so pretty easy to eliminate. It will certainly be a challenge if we do end up having to work around intolerances, no experience of that at all in either family! Trying to stay hopeful that it's just her gut learning how to digest solids, she's just started passing 'pastier' stools so maybe she's just having to learn how to push them out??

Offline creations

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 13:02:10 pm »
It could be. There was a HV who once told me she felt too many stool softeners or laxatives were given to babies when they started solids which could effect how they learned to push - because they do need to really push when they move from milk poos to solids poos (more so from breast milk I'm sure).  So, yeah they need to learn to push the poo, but clearly you don't want a constipated LO either, it can cause more issues.
An intolerance of some sort now doesn't necessarily mean she'll never be able to have those foods.  Try not to worry until you know more.  I had to avoid soft/raw pear for DS, all citrus fruits, and be very careful (limit) of red/orange foods and he is totally fine with ALL of those now.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 14:13:26 pm »
Just jumping in here to add (here in Canada at least, not sure if the same applies) that while oats in and of themselves are gluten free, technically all oats here, unless specifically grown and manufactured in gluten free facilities, are considered cross contaminated with gluten from other grains.

It could certanly just be an issue with more solid poos. We have had intolerances with all our kids and are just down to DD2 being gluten free - which was hard at first but is a no-brainer now!
Heidi

Offline trimbler

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2015, 15:36:28 pm »
Ok thanks - what a wealth of information you both have :)

Offline creations

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2015, 09:21:43 am »
Let us know how you get on.