Author Topic: Couple of questions and an easy check  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Anmarnad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Couple of questions and an easy check
« on: December 17, 2014, 20:23:13 pm »
Hello again,
I have some questions regarding our easy. My dd2 has been on easy since the beginning, is napping well during the day and goes down well for her naps. But somehow she cannot settle well in the evening. She is not crying, but very very restless. We have been strugglong for weeks now.
My questions are:
- how important is it to stick to time schedule at this age? I'm quite flexible and only make sure that the A times are right. But if the day starts at 7 or 7:30 or even 8 I simply adjust the routine. Is it a problem? The start of the day depends very much on whether ir not she woke up at night ( usually around 4 am)

- does her day look ok to you?

4:00 am - E
8:00 am - E
9:20 am - S

11:30 - E
12:50  -S

14:30 - E
15:45 -S

17:00 - E
18:10 -S

18:50-E
Bath
19:30 bed

It's 21:20 and she is still not sleeping! Is it too much sleep during the day?

We usually do a dream feed at around 23:00. And here sometmes she drinks well, sometmes not. But whether or not she wakes up at 4 am does not depend on how well she drinks.

- could it be that a 4 am wake up is habitual at this age?

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Offline Anmarnad

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Couple of questions and an easy check
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 21:00:49 pm »
Oh, i forgot to add that she is 10 weeks old.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 19:57:22 pm »
Hi and sorry your post was missed (sometimes happens when you reply to yourself as it looks as if somebody has replied  :-[ ).  How have things been the last few days?

At ten weeks her A time looks about right but I notice she only has three naps in the day.  Usually on a 3h EASY you would have three naps plus a catnap, so allowing a little more A time in the day.  It may be that by aiming for more like a 12-12.5h day with that extra little nap in there you may get her to settle more easily at BT.  So something like:

Feeds at 8/11/2/5/8
Naps at 9.20, 12.20, 3.20 and catnap around 6.20
BT after 8pm feed

What do you think? 

Offline Anmarnad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 20:21:54 pm »
First of all - Happy New Year!
Second - thank you for your reply. I apologise for my late reply, but I have been running some experiments. :-) I thought that your remark about not enough A time was spot on, so we moved to 1.5 hour A time now. And I try to have a consistent 3.5 h EASY with 1.5 A times and 3 naps of 2 hours each. It seems to be working like a charm! At least so far so good. The last feed is very close to going bed, but still it's not a feed to sleep. And she seems to be settling well now.

I have one more puzzle to solve though. For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to do a dream feed at 23:00. She drinks it and then wakes up at 3am again at then sometimes at 5 or 6 - so basically after 3 or 4 hours since the feed. Yesterday I did not do a dream feed and she woke up at 2:00 and then at 7:00 - lasting 6 hours between feeds! So she can make it (before introducing a dream feed she was doing it as well). So now I'm wondering what to do... Waking up once a night is not bad, but at the same time if we could avoid it - I would rather have more hours of undisturbed sleep to be up and running for my dd1. Any idea why she is playing that trick on me? :-)

Thank you so much for your help!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:12:45 am »
Great news that she is settling well!

I never did a dream feed and for some LOs is does disturb their sleep rhythms more than it helps.  You could try doing it a bit earlier say 10.30pm to see if doing it at a different time makes a difference to NWs.  But otherwise I would probably just feed when she wakes x