Author Topic: 18 months sleep regression -apop?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18 months sleep regression -apop?
« on: December 22, 2014, 13:09:08 pm »
Hi girls, 
Until a few weeks back my now 18.5 months old dd was a great sleeper, slept 11-12 hrs straight, sometimes with a brief wake up that was easy to settle. Now she takes ages to fall asleep at bt and naps, basically wants to be held. Also for a week now she wakes at 5.30. (Usually 7am) and wants into our bed. In order to get more sleep we have been allowing this now for the last week. Is this ok to do during a regression or should we sleep train her right now and only allow her to fall aeep in her cot? I'm afraid of undoing all the good work / sleep from the last year by apop? Her routine is like this:
Wu 7am
Nap 11.30/12pm usually 1.20 to 2 hrs
Bt 7/7.30
As u said that worked brilliantly over the last months and we have been trying to stick to this routine but often it takes her a whole hr to fall asleep and since a few days she can't fall asleep independently anymore... 😢
Please help!!! Apop or being strict and having to get up st 5.30??
Fran
Franziska

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 18 months sleep regression -apop?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 15:19:12 pm »
Honestly, it's totally a personal decision.  If it's something you want to do to get through a difficult patch, then do it knowing it will have to be undone.  If it's something you don't want to have to go back and undo, then it's probably best not to start.  My DD would never come into our bed and fall asleep, so it wasn't an option for us and we had lots of early starts (but I was very 'by the book' with her, so likely wouldn't have chosen to bring her in anyway). My DS1 is much more of a snuggler and I often brought him into bed when teething, so that we didn't have a lot of EWs.  He's quite flexible with his sleep though, so once the rough patch was over, it wasn't difficult to get him back into his bed.  I explained to him that he needed to sleep in his bed and stayed with him while he resettled for a few nights (he was over 2, I think). 

I do think you could push out your nap a bit, so it's happening closer to 12/12:30pm every day.  The earlier nap could be reinforcing the EW at this point and the extra A time in the morning may actually help her settle at BT.  And, if she's sleeping 2hr for her nap, you may not be able to expect a 12hr night anymore... 11hr would be very normal.

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 19:28:59 pm »
Hi there, thanks for the advice. Funny since posting she actually went down ok for naps and bt. Fingers crossed, it stays that way. Pushing nap times isn't really an option as it is a set nap in her day care, I could max ask to put her down as one of the last which would be around 12pm.  I think we will do a mix of being flexible but also sticking to the routine. Will see how thus goes.
Thanks again... Fran
Franziska

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 20:18:01 pm »
Good news... sometimes it's like they know we post about it! ;)