Author Topic: 9 month old waking twice a night to eat  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Reeds Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 27, 2014, 14:06:18 pm »
Is it normal for my 9 month old to still be waking twice a night to feed? (formula fed)
He goes down around 6:30pm each night and wakes up religiously at 10:30 and 2:30 to eat. And he actually does seem hungry. He'll suck down 6oz in a matter of minutes. Normal? If not, I'd love some advice on how to end this pattern. I'm tired and would love a full nights rest. I'd even be happy with just one waking.

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: 9 month old waking twice a night to eat
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 19:09:56 pm »
I know nothing about formula feeding, I'm sorry, but maybe these questions will help other responders.

Has he always done this?  If it's a recent thing, then it could be a growth spurt.  How does he eat during the day?  Has he increased his milk intake during the day at all?  Do you ever try to resettle without feeding, and how does that go?   
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Reeds Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 9 month old waking twice a night to eat
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 19:32:33 pm »
No, this is nothing new for him. I'm asking because, in my mind, I suspected we'd be sleeping through the night (or at least close) by now.
He's a good eater. Drinks formula and eats solids throughout the day. I've tried increasing his intake during the day but it doesn't affect his night eating.
I've tried resettling but it doesn't last. For instance, when he wakes at 10:30pm, I'll shush him or put in his pacifier and he instantly falls asleep...for about 45min-1 hour. Then wakes up again. This will go on until I feed him.