Author Topic: 2-1 transition - advice please on a 12 mo  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 2-1 transition - advice please on a 12 mo
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 21:03:31 pm »
Hello

Her feeding schedule is:
6.30/7am-bottle formula 150ml
7.45/8am-breakfast
10am (ish)-snack
12.30/1pm-lunch
3/3.30pm-snack
5.15pm-dinner
6.45/7.15pm-bottle formula 260ml (although she doesn't finish it but has nearly all or most of it). In order to get lunch in before the nap when would you suggest I have her lunch, or her nap?

An update on last night: apart from waking around 9pm and me helping her put the soother in, I think she slept through! Can't remember her getting me up so I really do think it was one of those rare occasions when she sleeps through.  They hardly ever happen-could count them on one hand! What did I do right? !

Today I managed to get her to nap at the new house and she did it without crying about the new environment and slept for 1.5hrs. I tried offering pm nap at my mum's when we got back but she wouldn't.  So took her to bed half hour early.

What do you think?

Thanks for your soother advice on how to help her resettle with it. How would you suggest I wean her when I'm ready?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 11:12:07 am »
Hi!

In general you should work towards having lunch around 12noon as her nap will be around that time for coupe of years. It would be also important if we want her nap to be long so she is not hungry here. So I would bring her lunch to just before nap.  I give my DS lunch at 11 till 11:15/11:20, than nappy change and nap ritual and he is asleep by 11:30.
To make sure she is hungry before nap I would resign from her snack at 10:00. And here it's your choice what to do between breakfast and lunch. You can giver her breakfast with milk in sippy cup at 6:30/7:00 (from 1yo it is recommended to  switch from bottles to SC). Than maybe a small snack at 8:45/9:00 and lunch at 11:00/11:30. That's by the way routine in my nursery for kiddos 10mo-20mo. They eat morning tea around 8:30/9:00 than lunch part 1 at 11:00 and lunch part two at 1:30/2pm. Than some snack at 4pm and probably some supper at home.

As she will be eating lunch at 11:00 I would either offer second part of lunch at wake up and than small snack around 3pm as you are doing, or bring her snack earlier to let's say 2:30pm but make it bigger. Than dinner at 5pm and BT bottle around 7pm as you do.

Regarding her naps and BT, I think you are doing a fabulous job:). If she is sleeping 11-12h at night - it means it suits her.

Regarding soother - I am very sorry but as I said I have weaned dummy very early so have no experience ho to do it at 1yo. I can ask other mods to pop in if you want or you can create a new thread - I would encourage you to do so - so everybody will see it and you may have more advice. WDYT?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:18:16 am by Martii85 »
~Marta

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 12:18:15 pm »
Hi and thanks for that reply.

Hmm...we don't really do two part lunches here...I don't think I could do all that and try and get things done in the day.  I'll have to think about that.  I appreciate your advice though, so thank you. 

As for the weaning off soother, I'll start a new thread as you suggest.  Thanks.

Last night went like this:  EBT at 6.30pm (asleep by 7pm ish).
Wake up at 12.40am  I popped the soother in her hand.  She went back to sleep.  (Worth noting that she went to sleep without the soother as she fell asleep after the bottle in my arms - tired - and I didn't have to plug it back in when I put her in her cot.  I knew she would wake at some point then and find she didn't have the soother and need it back.  So, that 12.40am wake up wasn't a surprise.  Need to get that weaning thing sorted after we move into the new house...
Then she woke for the day at 5.30am.  Early...But I left her there until 6am. 

Why do you think she woke so early - going by how the day went above, can you figure it out?!

She is napping now from 11.20am (a bit late as I was aiming for 11am but came back from the shops etc and that is how long it took to get her to her cot!).

I look forward to hearing from you again soon and hope your New Year is starting off well!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 19:40:46 pm »
Probably OT Honey, as she slept 1,5h during day. Or habit - she is waking at 5:30 for a time already isn't she? Hope that today's nap went better. Where are you from:)? Canada?:D

Regarding lunch, you dont have to split it. Just bring the snack earlier, make dinner bigger and at 5pm. That should be enough.
~Marta

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 20:52:19 pm »
Hi

Sorry, I'm in the UK, but my username is a bit misleading - unintentionally I hasten to add!  I just love Canada and wish I lived there, so I'm always known as Canadian Nat by friends and family! 

Anyway, back to business!  Yes, she does tend to like waking early actually.  I just hope that if the bedtime gets a bit later in the end as you said before, or at least goes back to 7pm then hopefully she'll make more regular wake ups at at least 6/6.15am.

The plan you suggest for lunch etc. sounds good too.  It's a relief to know that!

Today, she napped for 2hrs 20 mins! (11.20am-1.45pmish).  So, I totally left the afternoon nap alone and she just went through without too much trouble until 7pm.  She went off quite well so appeared tired enough to go to sleep in my arms really.  It is just that she didn't have the soother again as it dropped out during her snoozy time in my arms and so of course, she woke up just now.  I suppose it was because she didn't have the soother...Who knows...

So, do you think that as long as I keep putting her down for the 11amish nap and she keeps averaging 2/2.5hrs nap, then that should be her transitioned?! 

P.S.  I posted the soother weaning query on the props board but it got moved back to this one!  Anyway, am picking up something interesting advice on that front, so thanks for the pointer.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 07:35:03 am »
It was moved to Sleeping for Toddlers Hon as your LO is over 12mo and all queries should come here for tolddlers. It's ok - my intention was to open new thread so you could get some good advice from other people who are more experienced, as I cannot help here!

When did she wake today? If she still woke at 5:30 with day like yesterday and 7pm BT I would be  tempted to W2s at 4:30. But we will see.

And answering your question - yes, with 1 nap long for 2-2,5h I wouldn't even try to afternoon nap.
~Marta

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:43 am »
Hi

What does W2s mean in your previous post? 

Today she got a messed up wake up as the 2yr old woke shouting from around 4.30am and disturbed us all. The baby stirred lots and was awake around 5am properly I think. So...this morning her new little nap routine has gone out the window. ..She was so tired early on after and during breakfast that I couldn't think of keeping her up until 11am so I followed her signs and felt I had to put her down really early...She settled almost straight away and was asleep from about 8.40am...I know I've mucked up but wasn't I right to put her down considering the early wake up and how tired she was? I think the night was ok for her apart from the early wake. She only woke abut 3 times around 8/9pm with what sounded like pain cries but I only needed to go to her one of those times-she needed the soother and went back to sleep.

How do you think I should play the rest of the day?  I thought just see when she wakes, how long she naps now and may be need another cat nap later, depending. .? My mum is looking after the girls most of today  as I need to go to the new house and get us more straight there as we're nearly ready to move in. So I'll be keeping in touch with mum to see how the baby does and have to advise her what to do going by what she tells me over the phone...

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 10:57:17 am »
Hi Hon!

W2S means wake to sleep - a mathod Tracy suggested for habitual waking. I would try to do it after 10-10,5h of sleep so to make her sleep longer on days when her day was 13h and you put her down at 6:30/7:00 or around it. You will find the link on sleep boards. I can paste if you cannot find it.

Cryouts shortly after BT usually means OT. It may come from the long day. She was awake 13,5h which is a lot. For future, try to keep it max 13h.

Try to go through the day as you can, no worries - days like that will happen. In future if she wakes so early, I would do her a very short 10-15min catnap around 2,5-3h after wake up and than put her slightly later for her normal long nap. So ie. with 5am WU short nap around 7:30 and than a nap slightly later than normal so 11:30 let's say or even 12:00 if she can handle. Remember to keep a reasonable BT at that day so not to make her day to long. WDYT?
~Marta

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 12:19:26 pm »
Yep ok. I get it. That sounds good about the plan for today. And my reasonable btw is what-say...6.30?

Please can u explain again about the W2s how it might go for me? You mention something about doing it at 4.30??

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 17:04:24 pm »
I think that your BT should no more than 13h from your WU no matter how the nap went (unless she did a mammuth one as 3h...:). So with 5:30 i would put to bed later than 6:30/6:45. If I am correct the days you tried later BT she was still up 5/5:30. So firstly I would make her work on one nap and 13h day. You also may try one day to do a 7:00 BT when you know she had a good nap and than around4:30/5:00 I would to wake to sleep.

Here is a link:
How do I address habitual wakings?  (wake-to-sleep and other methods)
For NW you normally do it 1h before habitual waking. For naps - 10-15min earlier.

HTH!
~Marta

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 02:14:46 am »
Hi, I have been trying to pop on this thread and post all day but haven't had a chance to properly do so until now!  A few questions though - how is she currently falling asleep for nights and naps? At one point above you mention falling asleep on the bottle? Is she used to some type of ap for sleep?

I think Marti is on track to suggest a 13 hour day with a decent nap and then once one nap if firmly established you could slowly push the day out while also using W2S if needed. As for the nw's for the soother, I would really suggest spending some time in the day teaching her how to find it if she cannot and get a few extra so there is always one nearby. I had my two soother kids able to do that by 6/7 months. It would probably be much easier to do that than wean it at this point.
Heidi

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 21:01:26 pm »
Thanks Marti.  Yes, I think that sounds right.  Thanks for getting so clued into my lo's limits in terms of number of hours of sleep needed from a distance!  I'll try for that one nap and 13 hr day in all.

And Heidi, when she goes down for a nap, I literally walk in the room with her, check briefly for soiled nappy, put the soother in while I'm still holding her by the cot and say, 'Have a lovely nap, Mummy be here when you wake up' and I put her down, give her a muslin and cover her and walk out of the room.  Ten minutes after she's been totally still, I creep in and cover her with another blanket as she is always uncovered as she's thrown the cover off while trying to settle herself.

When I put her to bed at night, after she's had the bottle, she's usually awake and sits on my lap for 10 minutes while the milk goes down a bit.  (Personally, I don't like the idea of putting her straight down after the bottle as she's bound to feel full up and the last thing I want to do after a meal is lay down straightaway!)  While she is sitting there, at first I put the soother in, rub her back to burp her and then once she's burped, I stop rubbing and turn the light off and we sit quietly in the dark.  She usually just sits there nice and calm and sucks the soother.  Then she makes a sign that she wants to go up on my shoulder and I put her up there and stand up and walk to the cot.  I then stand for a few moments to let her know that this is the moment I put her down for the night, and just lay her down and walk out of the room.  She usually settles straightaway.  The only difference to the above is if she is super tired from a bad day's napping, then she sometimes falls asleep on the soother while sitting on my lap in that 10 minutes upright time.  I can't help this.  I just put her down the same way after sitting with her for the usual amount of time to let her milk go down a bit.  The only thing that sometimes happens is that if she falls asleep on my lap in that upright time, the soother sometimes falls out and she's so asleep that she doesn't cry out for it.  So I just leave it on the side and wait for that dreaded moment sometime in the night when she'll wake and want it...

Hope that gives you a good picture of what goes on at naps and bedtime? 

I have started to give her practice time trying to find the soother.  I am just letting her have the soother then saying 'pop!' (which is the word I usually say when I'm about to take the soother out of her mouth when I pick her up after her naps or in the morning when she wakes). Then after I've said 'pop' and taken the soother out, I've been putting the soother on the floor near her head as if she's in the cot, making sure that she sees I've put it somewhere.  Then she rolls over and gets it.  Is that how to train her?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.  She had her 1 year old immunisations today so tonight may be disturbed...

By the way Marti and Heidi, last night she had me up 4 times...I put the soother to her hand each time and she seemed to go off, but not sure if she was waking for that or for some other reason and just found that she didn't have the soother at those times and she then wanted it..?!

Today she napped for only an hour from 11.30am as the two year old disturbed her lots...So I gave her a  6.30pm start to the BT routine.  She was super tired and so it was one of those nights where she fell asleep on my lap...By the way, I've also bought a glow in the dark soother but given that she might wake tonight with sore legs from her immunisations, I've decided not to use it yet -  I thought I want to make sure I've ruled one reason out about why she might wake instead of wondering whether she's woken because she doesn't like her new soother!  I'll start using it in a couple of days.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 06:27:49 am »
Great Honey, the way you practice soother repluging seems fine to me, let's wait for Heidi's opinion yet as she is far more experienced here!

Regarding her waking - you know, they wake from million of different reasons but it they are learnt to go to sleep with a dummy, they start to moan. So there are nights she wakes once or twice and nights when she wakes 5-6 as she was more disturbed by sth or maybe more OS or OT after day full of attractions. So the thing is not to concentrate on how many times she wakes and resettles but so she can do it by her own.

With your BT routine, it's fine I guess with waiting after milk (especially if you are changing her diaper in the end) but I would try to separate you and going to sleep more. So after milk maybe give her a BT story or do whatever else but with lights on, and turn the lights when she is in the crib. WDYT?
~Marta

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 13:02:09 pm »
Hi ladies! Was a crazy day yesterday so ran out of time to respond and now have to get going to work but I will try and post a proper reply during my coffee break if I have a chance...or tonight once the kiddos are in bed.
Heidi

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 20:57:05 pm »
Hello

I will try and separate the association between me and her going to sleep a bit more.  I planned to do this tonight but she was so tired (she had about 1.5hr nap today only) that she fell asleep again on my lap.  So I couldn't try a story or anything...

Last night, she woke a couple of times early on because I disturbed her when I went in the room.  To be honest, I can't remember if she woke up much during the night after that, but I don't think she did much...I don't know why I can't remember, it's all a blur...However, I remember that she woke at 5am but she went back to sleep until 6.30am.  I can't remember if I put her back down with the soother or whether she did it herself...Sorry, I'm not much help today.  I must be tired.

Today, I tried to put her down for that 15 minute nap you suggested at around 8.30am as she was tired but after looking like she was settling she got up again and I left her for a while thinking maybe she would settle in the end.  But she didn't.  When I eventually went up at around 9amish, I noticed she had soiled her nappy...It's so hard to tell whether I should go up sooner or not because once I've gone in, she usually doesn't let me put her down again, that is why I left her for a while as I didn't want to muck it up.  Anyway, maybe tomorrow if she's tired again I can try again and hopefully she won't soil her nappy.  I think I have found a way of telling if this is happening now because I remember how she was on the monitor.  So I can look out for the clues again then.

So, after that failed attempt at a short nap, we put her down at 11am and slept for an hour and a half...Not 2hrs...So, I tried her later in the day for a catnap but nothing happened...So, tonight I put her to bed at 6.30pm again.  She will probably wake up for the soother again as she's not got it in as it fell out when she fell asleep on my lap...

How am I doing do we think..?  Feels tough...

P.S. She doesn't seem to have suffered with the immunisations at least.