Author Topic: 2-1 transition - advice please on a 12 mo  (Read 6761 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 2-1 transition - advice please on a 12 mo
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 04:06:40 am »
(((Hugs))) Any way you can catch a nap yourself? I know the broken sleep at night is killer. Sounds like she is able to replug but is just in the habit of you doing it so that is good, for sure I would keep putting it in her hand and having her get it to her mouth.

Personally I would try the first catnap a bit later (3 h A or so) and push the 2nd nap out, that way you may be able to slowly push bedtime out to and end up with a better wake up time (though tbh 6:30 is not too bad ;)).  If you don't remember her waking then either she didn't or was easily settled, which is great all around!
Heidi

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 13:31:18 pm »
Ok will try pushing am catnap later but I'm ok with her waking anytime between 6 and 6.30 as we need to get going!

Last night she slept without the soother until 2.45am when she woke...Couldn't resettle her. After an hour of being awake the toddler called out several times and disrupted the baby settling so in all she was awake about 1hr and three quarters...I was awake longer, obviously...I'm back to work today for first time since Christmas. ..a bad night was just SOO on the cards wasnt it?! I mean, I couldn't have had a good night before work could I...

I'll update you later. Any clues on what happened with her being awake so long in the night (before the 2yr old started calling out that is)?

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 20:56:08 pm »
Hello

Well last night she woke at 10.20pm, 12.45am and 5.45am...Each time I think the soother did the trick to get her off again...I tried using the glow in the dark one but I think she needs more practice finding it. 

Today, she did a nap of 2hrs 15 mins.  She didn't seem OT by 6.30/7pm.  So I took her to bed at 7pm, the usual (old) time.  She was not asleep in my arms after the bottle so I managed to let her just play with something quietly while sitting on my lap.  So that was good.  I managed to do that separating me from sleep thing.

See how she goes tonight with glow in the dark...

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 21:34:20 pm »
Keeping finger crossed!
~Marta

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 10:34:25 am »
SHE SLEPT THROUGH!  Well, I don't remember getting up anyway.  She stirred but I don't remember having to get up. She woke early at 5.40am but that's probably cause I turned over and disturbed her... I popped the soother back in her hand till 6am.  Do you think she slept through cause she napped for 2hrs 15 mins yesterday? She seems really tired this morning early on though...Don't know why since she slept through. ..

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 10:40:44 am »
So what was her day yesterday in details? Btw - can you try to log couple of your last days and nights? We will see if there is a pattern:).
~Marta

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 15:31:19 pm »
Oh dear...that may be hard with a sleep-deprived memory like mine but I'll try! Will need to do it later though. Thanks.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 17:13:17 pm »
Honestly sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to these things! If she is still having trouble finding the soother I would probably get a few more...we keep 10 in DD3's crib as she loves to squeeze them in her hands and invariably in the night a few get tossed out. She has a mesh crib bumper but will stuff them down the sides or over the top! 7 pm - 6 am would be a good stretch here we normally get 8-6:30/7 or so.
Heidi

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 20:28:49 pm »
Yesterday:
5 45am wake
6.30am bottle
7.15am breakfast
11am-1.15pm nap
1.45pm late lunch due to nap
3.30pm snack
5.15pm dinner
7pm BT
slept through

I'm sorry I can't remember or figure out from my previous post what the day before was like...

I may try more soothers in the cot but I'm worried they may get rolled under her body and make wake from aches and pains!

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 20:33:27 pm »
BTW, tonight she wouldn't settle at BT. I can't figure out if this was due to the high winds we're having here tonight or pain or OT...She had only a 2 hr nap today and wouldn't do a catnap either end of the day...

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 20:02:49 pm »
Today she woke at 5.40am and I strung her out until about 6am.  But again, after not settling well first at night before, she only cried once in the night and I didn't get up straightaway and then I think she just settled herself.  I don't know if this is because she found her soother (if it wasn't in her mouth), or whether she just settled herself anyway.  So, really that was good for her. 

She only had a 1 hour 45 mins nap today.  So I started BT at 6.30pm again.  See how it goes tonight.  BTW, she just cried and she's only been down less than an hour tonight, but again, she just stirred a bit then settled.  It must have been a cry in her sleep.

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2015, 08:51:03 am »
Well last night, apart from waking with a sudden cry at 10 or 11.20pm (can't remember which), she slept through apart from a disturbance of about 3/4 hrs when the 2yr old woke coughing (asthma). She woke for the day at 6.30am.

WDYT?

I was thinking of trying a catnap at about 9.15am for half hrs then try a proper nap at 2ish along with the 2yr old (so I can have a life and go out with them after the catnap this morning? WDYT?  Otherwise on days when I look after them both on my own I never get out of the house as they're napping at different times. ..

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 10:55:06 am »
I don't think she will be happy to have 2 naps if she is going on one for days already. You may try to switch her whole routine so her one nap is around 2pm. It would probably mean day like 8:30-8:30/9:00? So she has one nap around 2pm and than from around 4pm till 8/9 will be her A till BT.
~Marta

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 14:00:28 pm »
Funny you should say that about the 2pm nap cause guess what just happened?  She wouldn't do the morning catnap as you suspected.  So I had to whip up early lunch which they both had at about 12.25pm.  Then I let them play to let that get down.  Baby was looking a bit tired by 12 noon but I had no choice but to keep going since she hadn't had her catnap.  I wanted to get lunch out of the way so I could give her that afternoon nap instead.  So after a bit of play (during which she seemed to be fine and happy enough - had a second wind I suppose), I put her down at 1.30pm.  She took a while to settle but went off at 1.45pm ish.  The toddler has just gone down now too at 1.50/2pm, hopefully she'll nap as normal...I am hoping the baby does her usual 2 hrs?  Is that what I want her to do since she's just gone down for her first afternoon nap ever?  Or do I want it to be shorter if she starts napping in the afternoons? 

I don't think I like the sound of a late BT...I suppose you may suggest that in this case, cap the afternoon nap?  To about 1.5 hours?  Let me know what you suggest.  As for now, I guess I will just have to see how she goes and play tonight's BT by ear, remembering that she may want a later BT?

Looking forward to hearing back from you during this unsettling set of behaviours from baby!

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2015, 20:49:29 pm »
Well she slept for 1hrs 3/4.  She seemed a bit wobbly and looked tired still when she got up but by 5/6pm seemed to be very happy and back to normal. She was very jolly near BT so I wondered if she'd be too awake for normal 7pm BT but she seemed to show the right signs of tiredness.  She didn't give me any trouble putting her down (although bear in mind I put her down a bit later than normal as I had to put the 2year old down first too as my husband isn't in on Sunday nights). Anyway,  I will see how she goes tonight...