Author Topic: Sleep horror  (Read 6705 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Sleep horror
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2015, 13:32:44 pm »
I would stick with the set nap time regardless of morning WU.  If the nap is coming too early for him this can cause him to wake earlier in the morning so bringing the nap even earlier may make it worse.  Having said that though, I've always preferred a slightly OT LO than an UT one.  Slightly OT I find easier to resettle, UT I find impossible to resettle ...and it leads to OT in the end anyway so kind of double whammy.
I'd stick with 12.15 nap. I do wonder if he is getting a more restorative sleep at night with the longer stretch of sleep, which is leading to earlier WU. Do you think overall he's getting more or less sleep than usual (if you count all the NWs he used to have and how long he'd be awake for)?

Offline Florena49

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2015, 21:54:04 pm »
He is definitely getting much more sleep during the night, i mean before this weirdness started he was getting 11.5 but mostly 12 hours an evem with two wakings he is asleep within a couple of minutes unlike previuosly crying for an hour.
I have discovered that he has an inflammation in his ear so thay will explain some
Of the weirdness and generAl reluctana towards sleep during tje day, today he had a total hysterical meltdown when i put him down for his nap, as soon as i picked him up he fell asleep on me, but was up 40 minutes later and then up every 20 mins or so, just about managed to het 1.40 minutes out of him. And some bt weirdness again. So going to GP tomorrow to see whats with his ear.
But will stick with routine for now
Viktoria

Mum to Oskar 25/10/2013 and Maksim 19/07/2015

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2015, 22:08:40 pm »
as soon as i picked him up he fell asleep on me
Aah, sweet poorly boy. I hope he is better soon. Yes it explains the nap reluctance.
After he is better I would consider a later nap, possibly even capped.

Offline Florena49

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2015, 21:27:54 pm »
Hi Creations

I think ur right, he consistantly sleeps for 50/60 mins and then needs resettling. And 2 hour naps means ages to fall asleep at BT and then wakings an hour later.

So today he wS with daddy and after a horrible night, he had a high temperature and could only sleep when DH took him downstairs where it is much cooler.

12.06nap-2.15     5.15A
7.45BT.                 5.30A

He has wome at 8.50 but i just put him down and he went back to sleep. Hopefully no fewer in the night and we can get back on track then.
Viktoria

Offline Florena49

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2015, 19:46:26 pm »
So we have some progress and some more weirdness.
Lo falls asleep himself for the nap, i mean it doesnt take him longer than 1 minute a d he is out, but i leave the room and he cant see me anyway even if i stood at the door. But we have BT weirdness again, its takobg ages to fall asleep.

7 wu
12.17nap-2. 5.15A
7.40BT

I was aiming for 7.15 bT, but he was just lyibg there babbling a little or just lying quietly, ocassionally getting up but not crying. Surely he is Not OT is he UT after a 1.40 min nap? I cant figure out abd too scared to change anything
Viktoria

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 20:04:05 pm »
Could just be part of the 18 month regression yk. He is probably going through lots of developments now.
I think I've said the general advice is to stick to your routine to get through the regression, but if he is delaying sleep at BT regularly I would be tempted to put him down a little later and see if he still spends ages babbling or if he will go more quickly to sleep.

Offline Florena49

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 20:46:08 pm »
I can see that there is lots happening developmentally and his speech is coming on, although mostly babling))
I will give it a go and aim for 7.30 BT and see if we get anywhere with it. I guess its so frustrating as he shows to his cot and rubs his eyes and yawns and then spends 20-30 mins struggling to sleep in his cot whilst im standing at the door.
Viktoria

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 20:50:41 pm »
You'll get through it. Either a slightly later BT will help, or you'll go on a while longer like this and he'll come out the other side of the regression.  Maybe get a chair by the door so you can be more comfortable?  Do you really need to be there at all if he is just babbling?

Offline Florena49

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 21:07:59 pm »
I havent tried leaving him, so i have no idea, he does get up ocassionally and sits quietly and then stands up, he would likely get upset if he got up and i wasnt there, although he cant see me when he is lying down. I guess i could try camping out outside the door to start with and go in only if he gets upset. Chair might be a good idea, i just ended up sitting on the floor tonight)
Viktoria

Offline Florena49

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2015, 09:04:06 am »
He slept until 4.20am he then got i to bed with us, but was very restless crying out in his sleep and was up for the day at 6.50! Honestly just when u do t expect these kids do surprise us.
Viktoria

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 19:06:15 pm »
So he did 8 hrs in his own bed? Is that a first? :)

Offline Florena49

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 19:33:19 pm »
Yes yes and yes! Im so pleased
Viktoria

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2015, 22:03:36 pm »
Cool  :D

Offline Florena49

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2015, 20:07:55 pm »
Well that was a one of clearly! I hope this will pass but its taking 30-49 mins for him to fall asleep at bt doesnt matte what time we out him to bed really. He just faffs about, i tried leaving him, he either just lays there quietly or gets up and stand in the cot.

Today was

6.30wu
12.25nap-2.05 slept did wake at all for his nap
Went to bed for 7.30
And still awake now

He is at childminders tomorrow, so he will be exhausted with his early waking and very long BT i do t even know what ti e should we do nap or BT anymore
Viktoria

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2015, 21:39:01 pm »
OK if he is not responding to a later BT then I'd prob return to the 7pm as that was where it was set (correct?). Mostly the advice on the 18 month regression (even if it's early) is to ride it out. I do think I remember needing to shift nap and BT both later for DS just after his though.

As he is not crying and upset you may have some success if you use a more instructional tone to reassure him and tell him "It's sleepy time. Lie down and go to sleep". By instructional I mean something akin to 'teacher voice', firm not harsh, he doesn't need soothing as such he needs to be told it is time to sleep. Hearing you is also reassuring for him too of course.  If he is struggling to sleep then the instruction and repeat that it is sleepy time may help.