Author Topic: 14m naps  (Read 1253 times)

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
14m naps
« on: December 28, 2014, 23:13:05 pm »
DD is 14m and based on the sticky posts, I assumed her naps should be 2-2.5hrs - though she hardly ever naps that long because right around the middle, the neighborhood kids (and their loud parents) get home and they're yelling, screaming, grinding their skateboards on sidewalks, dribbling basketballs. We already play white noise but I'm not sure how loud is "safe". I've tried adjusting her A time, thinking she might be sleeping lightly because she's UT but it hasn't done the trick. I also bumped up her A time because she has started to WU earlier.

Our usual EAS
WU 730-750
S 115-250
BT 730

The past few days have deviated from our usual EAS, WU around 650-720, naps 1h15m.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:51:30 am »
Hi Honey. Sticky notes are just a guidance and average summary. Some kiddos never sleep up to 2h on their nap so I wouldn't worry about the numbers. Much more important is how she behaves, how she sleeps at night. Is there anything what makes you worry?

If her nap is getting shorter you may try to push it slightly to 1:30/1:45.

I have to say that for 14mo this is not a lot of day sleep but she is doing nice nights so maybe it compensates. Was she ever such a low needs sleeper?
~Marta

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 14m naps
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 21:41:43 pm »
Hi, thanks so much for your response!

She sleeps great at night, 11.5-12h nights, so no complaints there. Her nap lengths have always been pretty textbook, which is why I'm concerned about her 1h-1.25 length naps. I guess I wouldn't be as concerned if she awoke naturally as oppose to being woken daily by the neighborhood kids. I pushed her to a 6h A time, we have white noise, and blackout curtains galore, is there anything else I could do to lengthen her nap or help muffle outside noise?

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 17:17:14 pm »
Hi Hun,

What are you using to play the white noise  ??? The volume should be mo more than 50 decibels. Even some specific white noise players for infants go too high up to 85 DB.

Here's a great link for you:

http://www.troublesometots.com/pediatrics-study-white-noise/

x.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 18:05:49 pm »
I could also exclude hunger as a reason for waking. Are you feeding close to nap?
~Marta

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 14m naps
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 22:39:04 pm »
Hi Vicki, thanks for the article. I'm still a bit confused, if I were to measure the decibels, do I put it in her bed, where she sleeps? The article mentioned three distances. Also, it's so nice to see you're still helping mommies with their babes sleep issues :)

Hi Martii85, we have lunch about an hour before she goes down for nap so I can rule out hunger as well. Everyone keeps telling me she needs to "learn to sleep through the noise" but I'm not sure how to help her any further.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 23:20:12 pm »
Let us know is anything is working!
~Marta

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:27:08 am »
Hi Hun, I think the best place for it is placed somewhere approx 5/6 feet away, I'm no expert mind you, but not sure I would put it in the cot.

Can you be sure that it is the noise waking her  ??? I'm just wondering if she is waking when she's had enough sleep as her day is just 12 hours long  :-\

x.