Author Topic: Night wakings at 5months  (Read 3433 times)

Offline rosetoes

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Night wakings at 5months
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 10:39:40 am »
I'm still struggling here. I feel like I haven't a clue what I'm doing. I'm still trying to stretch a times but every time I do we end up overtired and difficult to put down, needs to be rocked. Should I go by sleepy signs (read elsewhere to clock watch at this age rather than sleepy signs)? Today he woke at 735, was giving sleepy signs at 10, tried to stretch through, PD at 10:15 but wouldn't settle&just got upset so rocked to sleep at 10:30. We did have one good night this week where he just woke once but that easy day was far from perfect. I feel I might be making things worse by trying to stretch A times? But this mornings was especially short.
I feel I need a plan.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 11:04:51 am »
Okay. A plan sounds like a good step. I go by the clock as her sleepy signs are quite unreliable. If he fussed on PD, maybe he wasn't tired yet? Is he still falling asleep independently? Are the NWs continuing?

Offline rosetoes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 11:32:46 am »
Yes nws still continue. I think he was tired yes, I felt it was more of an overtired PD than an UT struggle. Sleeping independently less frequently now.
We normally get a 3hr stretch at night but after that doesn't seem to settle. Not having hr long wakings now as to be honest if he wakes and it's been less than 3/4 hours since last feed then I've just been bringing him into bed to get some sleep. I gave up on shush patting through the night as I felt it made little difference and just left me exhausted and frustrated.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 13:48:12 pm »
What is your day looking like now?

Offline rosetoes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 18:00:50 pm »
so today
wake 735
bf 735
solid 9
s 10:30-12:20
bf 12:30
bf 14:30
solid 1400
s 15:00-16:15
 planning on  bedtime  at 7
This is a  pretty good  day for us tbh  so maybe tonight will be  good.
yesterday was an overtired day
wake 7
7 bf
s 10:05-11:05
s 14:55-14:55 ( husband took for a walk,doesn't sleep well in pram)
17:15 solids too tired &getting upset so tried to PD for cat nap, massive resistance, fell asleep in arms but woke on PD, eventually rocked to sleep at 18:10. planned to make this bedtime but woke half hr later, I could probably have resettled but dd kept disturbing us. resulted in a very upset boy for half hour
Bedtime  easily at 9:15
I've probably  posted two extremes, a pretty good day  and a particularly bad day.

Offline rosetoes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 10:01:26 am »
Hello me again. So last night was a pretty good night, woke at 230 after dream feed at 10, fed and straight back to sleep, then woke at 5&again at 6, fed at 6, resettled and up at 730.
This is the second occasion he's slept well after a similar easy to yesterday's:
Wake up 730
Bf 730
Solids 9
Bf10
S 11-13:05
Bf 13:15
Solids 14:30
S 16:10-16:45
BF 17:00
Solids 18:00
Bath time 7pm
Bf 730 and bottle 3oz
Bed 8 (was aiming for bed around 745) settled easily
Problem is is that he was overtired for 1st nap, pd was at 10:30, however was shouting in cot, had to rock him off,he was dozing at bf at 10 but pushed through as felt it was too early. He woke after an hr &the remainder of nap was spent in my arms.
What do you think it is about this type of day that seems to work for him?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 14:28:44 pm »
Hi. I'm sorry for not replying sooner. I didn't see it.
In the previous post with the 2 days, the first day seems great. How was the night?

What do you think it is about this type of day that seems to work for him?
I say go with whatever works. If possible, stick to a fixed WU & BT.

Offline rosetoes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 15:22:53 pm »
That's ok. The night was dreadful, fell asleep at 7:15 and woke just about every hour 😟 confusing little chap! Think putting his sister to bed at 8:15 disturbed him but Can't think of anything that would have disturbing him the rest of the night.
I do bedtime based on whatever time he last napped, should I wake him at a set point every morning? It's usually within a half hour window.
Thing is I don't know how to repeat yesterday's! I can't cuddle him every day to keep him asleep for 2 hours😜

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 15:37:54 pm »
BT can fluctuate but WU time should be fixed.It will give your day some structure. I guess to get a repeat performance, you'll have to just keep pushing A times. Go agead and APOP if necessary to get a few long naps. He really needs to catch up on all that OT

Offline rosetoes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 15:55:51 pm »
Even though he was overtired going down for the nap? I think that's why he woke early from his nap. Isn't 3.5 hours a bit long at 7months? (7months tomorrow). Argh! Why is this so bloody difficult! Surely not everyone has this much trouble who's LO's STTN? 😔

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 16:34:34 pm »
We were doing 3.40 at 7 months but my DD does do pretty high A times. I didn't mean to push more than 3.5. I meant to keep it somewhere around there. Don't judge an A time's effects until you have held at that time for a few days to give his body time to adjust. Reduce just by 10 minutes and see if that does the trick.

Haha. It is difficult, isn't it? Like an extremely confusing brainteaser

Offline rosetoes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 17:15:28 pm »
Yes! I used baby whisperer  with dd too but don't remember it being this difficult. I was more strict throughout the night mind 😕
right I'll attempt  that and see how we do,maybe I'm not giving enough  time. Thanks