Author Topic: NWs last min of 2hrs- no matter the cause! !  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
NWs last min of 2hrs- no matter the cause! !
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:02:12 am »
Hi
DS is 11 months now.  I posted recently as we were getting frequent 2.5 hr NWs which I finally think I pointed down to OT. Once I started giving him a shorter A to BT they stopped. The trouble is if he has a NW, for any reason,  it lasts FOREVER!

For example this week he woke one night due to OT and that lasted nearly 3.5 hrs (!!!); another night he woke due to teething (2.5hrs) and last night he woke due to having a cold (2.5hrs). Why does it take so long?  We try everything from shhing,  hand on back, cuddling, staying in the room til he falls asleep, bit of wiwo - and we obvs give meds if it's teeth.

He can be really screaming ( if hes in pain) or just a loud whinging cry. Mostly it's a cycle of him settling, us leaving the room and him waking again 5 mins later. But sometimes after he's been doing that for 2hrs he can then get playful ( not if hes woke due to illness/ teeth).

I'm finding it so hard and exhausting particularly as with DD, if she ever woke we would only need to reassure her, give meds etc for a few mins and she'd happily go back to sleep. He is an independent sleeper, Btw.

Thank you!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: NWs last min of 2hrs- no matter the cause! !
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:39:48 am »
Hi honey, maybe the problem is you going thru so many different options to settle him? If you know he is prone to OT maybe also for OS. Maybe you should make his NW very very calm, dark, and use consistent way of helping him go to bed. So why not to chose one of those method and stick to it? For a sensitive and prone to OT boy I would go for as little as possible - so no cuddling, no PU, maybe even no voice reassurance. Only your hand on him. Or maybe no hand but very soft voice reassurance every couple of minutes? When you say it lasts for hours you mean than he keeps waking but he in general is not inconsolable?

When it's such a tiring thing for maybe it's worth to stay on the floor in his room and try to get some sleep and only speaking to him when you hear him?

Btw we had this kind of wakings only to teething even when it doesn't look like teething. It last couple of nights and pass. OT makes it more difficult and cold/sneezing/cough is a sign of teething here.

Hth
~Marta

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 11:43:19 am »
Thank you.  Yes I try to stick to something but when it goes on so long,  it feels like it's not working so I get desperate and start trying anything that might work. Interesting that you say you had this with teething - I suppose it could be that.

Yes when it lasts for hours,  he keeps waking and crying but is not inconsolable.  Although sometimes he will settle but start crying again even when I'm still in the room.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 02:25:32 am »
Currently laying on his bedroom floor.  He's been waking for about 2 hrs so far.  He's having long settled periods but then waking up after 20/30 mins crying.  Have medicated.  So that's the 4th night this week. Could it be his reflux again? Stopped his meds a few weeks back as not convinced he's got it anymore as he has no other symptoms? Did put him back on it for a few days when we had upset ews a couple of weeks back but it made no difference so stopped it again.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:42 am »
With nights like that I usually count to 10. If for 10 days we have this kind of nights I start to look for different reasons other than teething. It sounds like teething to me honey.
~Marta

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 07:54:09 am »
Thanks Martii.  Have you had nights like this 10 days in a row before then? Last night was awful.  I was on his bedroom floor til 3.40am

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:47:48 am »
First phase of teething lasted about 10 days (two weeks before two bottom incisors came) and we had long NWs then. They were short up to 5am but if they happened after 5am, he was sleeping on and off and crying till 7am. I made a mistake first time as thought he has problem with his nose and try to help him what woke him even more. From next night I was approaching him in dark, only some shhh or hand holding. No PU, no cuddling, no rocking. I mean rocking or cuddling was helping but only for a moment when I had him in my arms. When I put him down he was once again awake and crying. So I decided to stick to settling in bed with as little assistance as possible and it really made a difference. And after around 10 days they passed. First nights he was waking and crying but after 20-30 sec he was self settling. And after couple of nights even crying stopped.

Then we had a teething phase 2:) which ended two weeks ago. Long NW, this time in the first part (up to 1am) of the night and the more OT he was the worse it was. I was closely looking if they were different depending on the day, and only OT made a difference. But I knew he usually wasn't so prone to OT so it had to be some phase.

You know - I think this age 10-12m is difficult as they are in 2-1 transition. Some days UT, some OT - but that will pass I hope. Just try to address NW properly and I hope it will get better for you:***.
~Marta

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 13:22:22 pm »
Thanks Martii. Last night I intervened as little as poss, just putting a hand on his back and staying next to his cot.  Like I say he was settling for anything up to 20-30 mins then crying again. 

Just a thought - if it was ut, he would be happy and chatty wouldn't he?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 13:29:08 pm »
In theory yes, in practice I think it may look differently with diff kids.
Have you seen any difference with his nights depending on how the day went? I saw that if his catnap was 15min instead of 30min his nights were more unsettled so that's who I said to myself it not UT.
~Marta